KENNY STILLS IS MORE THAN JUST YOUR AVERAGE DEEP THREAT

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Superself, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you.

finomenal, number1fin, JayCee and 3 others like this.
  2. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

There's that darn drop again vs Seattle....still hurts a little

Glad Kenny is back for another year with Tannehill.... with the 3 Wrs back plus Thomas, i can't help but expect big things this year.

Digital, fins1 and cuchulainn like this.
  3. VBCheeseGrater

Can't find edit button so sorry for double post - I dig the way they illustrated the set up with the hitch routes, later showing the DB bite hard on the fake and get beaten deep for the TD. The fact he can run other routes successfully only helps his deep ball.

4. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

If we had missed the playoffs by a game or so, then that drop would have been a lot more painful today. Given how he played the rest of the season and us making the playoffs, I don't care about it much anymore. Would it have been great if he caught it sure, but no biggie at this point.

Beach Bum 91 and biggfish72 like this.
  5. VBCheeseGrater

I certainly don't hold it against him - all was forgiven with the Cinci TD - but when I see that video, I relive a bit of that deep disappointment I was feeling that day.

foozool13 likes this.
  6. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

I recall in one of the earlier games, after a long pass Kenny was credited with advising Coach Gase to run the same play again and again because his opponent was exhausted. Coach Gase listened to Stills and exploited the weakness.
    While Jarvis Landry is seen as the inspirational offensive leader, the player with very high intelligence is actually Kenny Stills. It didn't go unnoticed that he accepted less than the projected market rate because he wanted stay here.

7. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I still hold a grudge. Imagine if we had won against Seattle for the opener! Still like him and glad his bac.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  8. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

...and he's just turned 25 years old in April. Landry will be 25 in November. Parker just turned 24 in January. Julius Thomas will be 29 in June. Ajayi 24 in June. Tannehill is 29 in July.

9. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

He was a crucial re-signing. Great ability to track and adjust to a deep ball. If Devante comes around this season this offense will be lethal.

10. Vector1Dolphins

Vector1Dolphins Seasoned Veteran

I like the player he has become over last season..But that drop in Seattle still chaps my hide..To have won that game would have been big..My hope is that this season we don't see anything like that drop in Seattle when so much is on the line.

Go Dolphins!!!

cuchulainn likes this.
  11. Superself

I truly don't understand why the drop is such a big deal. Sure it would have been a TD but why is that one play dogging so many fans?
    You can go back to any loss and find such plays but somehow Still's drop is the mother of all mishaps?

lurking and foozool13 like this.
  12. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Even with that drop all we had to do was get off the ****ing field on 4th down.

dahlmarino and Vector1Dolphins like this.
  13. Michael Scott

Michael Scott Well-Known Member

I admire Stills toughness for his size. He made quite a few catches in traffic last season that surprised me. I was almost sure it was Landry until I saw the #10. Love our three receivers.

Sure, the drop at Seattle hurt and probably cost us that game. But at least it wasn't his downfall. It's no longer "the play" I remember from Stills after all the plays he made after. The local media and fanbase (self included) ripped him for that, and his response the rest of the season is what earned him that fat contract. He became a dependable receiver.

Blackcreekbandit and Superself like this.
  14. Vector1Dolphins

I wouldn't call it the mother of all mishaps...It's more like...It's Kenny Fricking Stills and it hit's him in the hands on a wide open play for the game..Season opener in Seattle where it's really hard to get a WIN..He makes that catch and I believe our Season would have looked a lot different..Had that been like.. Ted I dropped another big time pass Ginn jr..You would expect that..Kenny was brought in to make those kind of plays..I am really glad the front office resigned him...Had that highlight clip not included that drop it would be all good..Pleas pass the salt.

Go Dolphins!!!

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  15. Superself

It's still just one dropped pass. He made plays but nobody can be expected to make every play.

You hear more about Still's dropped pass in that game than you do the blocked kick.

Digital likes this.
  16. Vector1Dolphins

That's too funny.....That blocked kick didn't win the game..(Great play though)... That pass might have had it not been for...Defense bla. bla. bla... Run game bla. bla. bla. Had that pass been tossed to anybody but Kenny in that game...Yep your right it's just another dropped pass...However it was tossed to Kenny "if I get near it I catch it" Stills and hit him in stride...right on the money in the great wide open...That's what stings for most people I think...

Any way..Your right...Just a dropped pass.

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  17. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

damn, after watching this, im so glad we resigned him! cant wait for the season to start. this offense will be unreal if healthy

18. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

As a multi-dimensional player and great teammate, Kenny is everything and more than our last 2 disappointing deep threat receivers, Ginn and Wallace, were hoped to be.

Beach Bum 91 likes this.
  19. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm over that play, but I can understand why it still pisses people off. That was a walk-in touchdown the likes of which you rarely see, and a nice, arcing, lobbed football just bounced right off his hands, in a tough game against an elite NFL opponent on the road. And it would have been the difference between a win and a loss.

So yeah, people are still gonna bring that one up from time to time.

Vector1Dolphins likes this.
  20. phinasota

phinasota Bleed Aqua

Im so stoked for this season!!! Great article. I still cant believe how some people were ok with letting stills go. And this is proof he is well worth the damn money

21. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

There are 4-5 plays that can determine the outcome of the game and that was certainly one of them, but I have a hard time pinning the loss on our first play of the second quarter.

Though without question the best thing to come of the drop by Stills was McCain's reaction:

[​IMG]

Superself and dobrasz54 like this.
  22. Jehuty13

Jehuty13 Well-Known Member

Based on those gifs, uhh, did he really get 32 mil out of us? haha. I mean I like the 9 TD's and I like the potential that he has, but did I see him drop a few more and not get off some of those blocks?

It felt average, not more than your average.

kcbrown likes this.
  23. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Stills is awesome

24. Sons Of Shula

Good article, but the one area it fails is identifying read progression and sometimes implies that Stills is always the primary target in each clip. Some concepts are designed to attract defensive attention and open up other routes. The 3rd down drop by Sims where Stills is facing former Bill's CB Gilmore is just one example of that. In lieu of the zone blitz in that situation, Sims is the primary in slipping out in face of the weakside blitz on the close cross from the backfield. If time permitted the 10 yard dig by the slot was the secondary option. Neither the X or Z was in play there.

25. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

I would add that Stills is by no means a good blocker

26. Sons Of Shula

Agree, but unlike the one trick ponies of the past (yes that's your sorry ***, Mike Wallace) at least he is willing.

gofins60 and nick1 like this.
  27. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Well you could blame Dallas Thomas for that loss he certainly played in that game

28. DrMom9900

DrMom9900 Well-Known Member

I, for one, am extremely happy we signed/resigned stills. I'm never a fan of a player having success on your team, and enjoys playing on your team, only for the org to let them walk. Stills is a great threat to any defense and makes Miami a better football team with him on our roster. If Parker can take it to the next level, Miami has a pretty well balanced WR corp. It looks really good.

Beach Bum 91 and NoblePhin like this.
  29. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

Context, brother, context.

30. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Drunk Finheaven VIP Donator

Does anyone here think the saints regret trading away stills? Would you guys call that a win win for both or? What say you finheaven

31. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

If Stills' drop against the Seahawks contributed only 1% to us being 1-4 and leading to the firing of Dallas Thomas, I say retire his number now.

32. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

It may have been worth it just to get rid of Ellerbe but we also gave up players like.....

Jordan Hicks, David Johnson, Danielle Hunter (if we kept the 3rd round pick).

Not that we would have taken them as the next pick for Miami was Jamil Douglas so.....

33. Blackcreekbandit

Yeah we definitely can't bank on that fact that our FO would have taken one of those players. Where did Douglas end up? I saw he got cut but i didn't follow up and see if he signed with any other teams? Man i was so wrong about ellerbe. Looks like he is one of those finish his career in good weather no state tax Miami lol

34. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Jamil Douglas is on the Patriots roster. Ellerbe is still starting in NOLA (with Jeff Ireland). He is on a 2 year deal and will make 3.2M this year.

35. Blackcreekbandit

Damn i didn't realize ellerbe was still playing.

36. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Not sure if you want to call it playing
    after 2014 when he played in 1 game for us he stepped up his game and
    played 6 games in 2015 and 9 games in 2016 with the Saints

At least he played a "full 16 game season...just took him 3 years time``

37. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Donator

I had such high hope for Ellerbe. Him at Will on the Ravens was fun to watch, then we cut Dansby aND miscast him at Mike.

38. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't know, a dropped pass in the first half decided the game? no.

39. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream Well-Known Member

Agreed. Also, at the time (Week 1), RT was known as a horrific deep ball passer. When we finally seen him throw a perfectly thrown deep ball that ended up being dropped, we were extremely disgusted for two reasons.
    One reason was obviously it took crucial points off the board versus a top tier squad in the loudest stadium besides maybe Arrowhead. Second reason is because we've waited years to see a beautiful ball like that. That was RT's biggest knock that I can remember. So, to see RT throw a beautiful ball just to be dropped took away from the perfect throw even though it shouldn't have.
    I'm very surprised yet thrilled with Kenny's sudden success. He seems to be the type of dude who wants to earn every dollar he was given in his huge contract. Now if only Devante can wake up and realize what he can potentially be would be amazing and smart for him. I would love nothing more then to see our top 3 receivers make something special out of their talents together and for awhile. Seems Gase is committed to keeping the 3 together. They all bring different attributes to our receiving corp.

40. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream Well-Known Member

Agreed. Also, at the time (Week 1), RT was known as a horrific deep ball passer.

When we finally seen him throw a perfectly thrown deep ball that ended up being dropped, we were extremely disgusted for two reasons.

One reason was obviously it took crucial points off the board versus a top tier squad in the loudest stadium besides maybe Arrowhead.

Second reason is because we've waited years to see a beautiful ball like that.

That was RT's biggest knock that I can remember.

So, to see RT throw a beautiful ball just to be dropped took away from the perfect throw even though it shouldn't have.

I'm very surprised yet thrilled with Kenny's sudden success.

He seems to be the type of dude who wants to earn every dollar he was given in his huge contract.
    Now if only Devante can wake up and realize what he can potentially be would be amazing and smart for him monetarily.

I would love nothing more then to see our top 3 receivers make something special out of their talents together and for awhile. Seems Gase is committed to keeping the 3 together.
    They all bring different attributes to our receiving corp and it's great to see.

Beach Bum 91 and NoblePhin like this.