Kevin Kolb Fins #1 Priority, Dolphins Interested in Kevin Kolb | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kevin Kolb Fins #1 Priority, Dolphins Interested in Kevin Kolb

He hasn't done anything. That's a plus in my book. We know what Vince Young is. Kevin Kolb hasn't played enough to prove anything. Maybe he's not a West Coast Offense QB. Maybe that's why he has struggled with the little bit of playing time he has received. McNabb and Vick are very similar players. Andy Reid has embraced that kind of QB for a while now.

I'm not saying Kevin Kolb is the saviour, but how can people say that Vince Young is better than what we have and then snub their nose at Kevin Kolb.

Based on performance, quarterback rating, wins, etc. Vince Young is a better QB than Kevin Kolb. He just wasn't in a great situation in Tennessee...

I think the people that are buying this Kevin Kolb thing because of Andy Reid's endorsement are taking a blind eye to another key point which is that in any situation where Miami is acquiring Kevin Kolb, they're not just acquiring a guy that Andy Reid ONCE thought highly enough of to start, but also a guy that Andy Reid NOW thinks so lowly of that he's GETTING RID OF HIM.

Michael Vick will be 31 years old next year and he is a running quarterback that takes all kinds of hits on that 6'0" and 215 lbs frame. Andy Reid has been complaining about the hits that Mike Vick regularly takes all year long. He keeps asking the league why, in an era when they have never protected quarterbacks more, do they keep allowing Michael Vick to take such punishment and it goes un-flagged, un-fined. I don't believe it's a conspiracy or bias due to Vick's past (though I wish it was), I think it's just the simple fact that Vick is as dangerous as a ball carrier as he is a passer, and the league doesn't feel it has to protect a guy like that the same way they protect guys that keep their eyes upfield and are more vulnerable to unprotected shots.

Nonetheless, we all saw that double bone-cruncher Vick took from the Redskins that knocked him out a few weeks. That's going to happen a lot, and Vick is going to miss games, if not have an early retirement. Plus, let's face it, Vick is soon to be a free agent, his posse is going to demand an oil tanker full of thousand dollar bills, and the Eagles can't really know how those negotiations are going to go considering Vick's age and the level of punishment he takes, not to mention the CBA and franchise tags, a whole slew of uncertainties.

And amidst all this, people are hypothesizing that Andy Reid is just going to willingly part ways with a 27 year old he drafted and groomed for his system, that he SUPPOSEDLY believes is an awesome starter?

Think about that logic for a moment! It's TOTALLY contradictory!

What, Miami's offer is just going to be THAT good? Doubtful. The same people that want this trade to happen seem to be the same people that are thinking, well not with the #15 pick but some other way maybe...

Contradictions, contradictions, all around us.

So let's say they do sell us Kevin Kolb, for something cheaper than the #15 pick. What does that do to our golden rationale that we should buy Kevin Kolb because Andy Reid likes him? Which Andy Reid? The Andy that once upon a time drafted him in the 2nd round and started him after he sold high on Donovan McNabb? Or are we buying the endorsement of an Andy Reid that is now DUMPING Kevin Kolb at a moment when he could REALLY use him, because Andy knows when to sell high (see: McNabb, Donovan) (see: Feeley, A.J.).

And that's taking aside the fact that I watched three of Kolb's games in 2010 and came away finding it difficult to even give him a 5th round grade if he were to be drafted today. In the games I saw, he did NOT see the field, at all. His receivers were going nuts because they were getting wide open and finding all these spaces between loose zones, and Kolb just kept check-check-check-checking like a bad poker player. I must have counted maybe 1 out of 10 passes going to a WR beyond 5 yards. Plus, he kept backing away from the pocket and running away from it as if he was scared of it. That's never good. He fumbled a few times while carrying the ball. I can forgive fumbling the ball from the pocket while you're half-****ed and looking for someone upfield, a DL manages to swipe you or some such, but fumbling the ball while trying to go all Randall Cunningham on a defense (while running more like Opie Cunningham)? And let me tell you I thought Mark Sanchez could have strings of the worst decision-making I've seen in a guy people consider to be a potential franchise starter, Kevin Kolb's bad decision percentage over a couple of his games this year was ASTRONOMICAL. I mean putting the ball straight into the hands of the defense, if only they were competent enough to take advantage of it. Just not seeing things.

I see this Kevin Kolb potential trade as very similar to the Feeley thing. I know Dave Hyde disagrees with me and I know many of you disagree with me, you think the big difference is that Feeley didn't have Reid's endorsement but Kolb does. Well, I don't buy that, whatever endorsement Reid gave him will have been nullified by the signal he sends by dumping him off and making him some other team's problem. In the end, it's just another Eagles backup quarterback with MEDIOCRE stats, from the SAME West Coast system that Feeley found it difficult to transition from, that even McNabb found it difficult to transition from, and we'd be putting him in a system that doesn't even resemble the West Coast Offense.

Yeah...GREAT idea. Truly stellar! (/sarcasm)
I do not disagree with you! The same things you are talking about with Kolb and the check-downs I see them too. When Kolb was coming back from his concussion and the Andy Reid was debating who to start Vick or Kolb, I was like : Why would you even need to think that over? Vick was clearly better; Now it all makes sense.

I see similarities among Kevin Kolb and Chad Henne, as both have rifle arm but lack of desired mobility. But I would stay with Henne, as he's on our roster and has more NFL started games. Kolb is a result of the system as placing him out of the WCO will downgrade his passing options.

I saw Kolb play a few times when he was in college and was intrigued. The only college QB recently that I've been truly impressed with was Phillip Rivers.

Philly runs a pass happy version of the WCO which I don't think plays to Kolb's strengths.

Is Daboll serious about implementing a Pats style spread offense in Miami? If so, I can see similarties to the University of Houston's style and KK being successful in Miami.

There is, however, no way I'd trade a 1st or 2nd for Kolb! I'd put together a deal like this... Crowder, #15 pick, & 2012 4th for Kolb and Eagles 1st and 2nd this yr.

With Philly's 1st rounder (#23?), Miami could take Lance Kendricks.

I saw Kolb play a few times when he was in college and was intrigued. The only college QB recently that I've been truly impressed with was Phillip Rivers.

Philly runs a pass happy version of the WCO which I don't think plays to Kolb's strengths.

Is Daboll serious about implementing a Pats style spread offense in Miami? If so, I can see similarties to the University of Houston's style and KK being successful in Miami.

There is, however, no way I'd trade a 1st or 2nd for Kolb! I'd put together a deal like this... Crowder, #15 pick, & 2012 4th for Kolb and Eagles 1st and 2nd this yr.

With Philly's 1st rounder (#23?), Miami could take Lance Kendricks.

Put down the controller and turn of the PlayStation 3. There is no way in hell that trade would happen.
Andy Reid has fleeced the Fins and the Redskins while trading QB's using his buy low sell high philosophy. Why would he change that now? He is going to be asking for a 2nd round pick at a minimum. If he doesn't get that Kolb is going to stay put and be a good insurance policy for the oft injured Vick.

Put down the controller and turn of the PlayStation 3. There is no way in hell that trade would happen.

Never assume. I don't play games. I'd rather deal w/ know it all on this site to channel my frustrations :d-day:... I mean become more frustrated.

Seriously, though probably not, I was just shooting from the hip when I came up the trade scenario. Would you rather have read that or another acquire VY thread? :D

the thing folks are over looking is they had BRAD CHILDRESS, one of the better minds in the west coast offense in there hands and could have hired him. now, if there plan was to go get a qb [kolb] who has spent his nfl time in the west coast offense, why the hell didnt they hire a west coast coordinator to go with him? the two most important thing for the wco is having a qb and wr who know it. it takes time.

we would have the qb with the w/c experiance along with our franchise wr BRANDON MARSHALL who learned it in denver. add in brad childress and you have the start on an offense!

so now kolb will have to come in and learn a COMPLETELY different system when they had 90% of what is needed for the offense he already knows!!

just more draw it up in the dirt as we go, short sighted planning by the wonder staff in miami.

After Drew Brees from PUrdue's modified spread formation, please name 5 other college pass happy spread offense QBs who've successfully transitioned into the pros.

I'll give you one. His name is Aaron Rodgers. As for 5, come back in 2 years to this. Tons of QBs are coming up in spread offenses now, and the game has changed a lot. We can't even say Tebow has not been successful yet. It is too early. But your point is not working for me. Spread QBs will be more and more prominent in the NFL, not less.

I'd much rather have Cam newton. That kid is talented.

I'll give you one. His name is Aaron Rodgers. As for 5, come back in 2 years to this. Tons of QBs are coming up in spread offenses now, and the game has changed a lot. We can't even say Tebow has not been successful yet. It is too early. But your point is not working for me. Spread QBs will be more and more prominent in the NFL, not less.

Actually, Rodgers was as far from a "spread" quarterback in college as you can get.

Jeff Tedford has never been a spread offense guy as a coach in college. Tedford didn't even begin to utilize any spread concepts in his offense until 2006, after Rodgers was already gone.

Rodgers didn't operate out of the shotgun in college, he took all his snaps from under center... and Tedford always featured either two TE/single back sets with twins to the right or left, or 3 WR sets.. with the quarterback taking snaps from under center and executing 3 and 5 step drops.

The only spread "concepts" that Tedford began to employ in his offense beginning in 2006 was having the quarterback take more snaps out of the shotgun, and ditching the double TE sets in favor of spreading the field with multiple WR looks.

However, even Tedford's version of the spread isn't a "true" spread... certainly not in the "gimmick" classification of the spread offense like Mike Leach's "air raid", or Steve Spurrier's "fun-n-gun", or Urban Meyer's "veer", or Rich Rodriguez's "zone read", etc...

Jeff Tedford's version of the spread is more of what you see in the NFL with teams like the Colts, Patriots, etc. It features the quarterback taking snaps out of the shotgun, but with more of a "base" personnel package on the field (3 WR's, 1 TE, 1 RB)... It's the same version of the spread Kevin Wilson uses at Oklahoma... that he used with Sam Bradford, and uses now with Landry Jones.

Again, none of these spread concepts happened under Tedford until 2006, after Aaron Rodgers was already in the NFL.

Now, his counterpart in the superbowl Ben Roethlisberger, was a spread offense quarterback in college.

Back
Top Bottom