Killing Time: Another AJ Feeley Perspective... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Killing Time: Another AJ Feeley Perspective...

Disnardo

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey its the offseason and now since the draft is over we still need to kill time in between the Mini-Camps, QB-Camps, the June-Cuts, and the Official start of Training Camp in June. I know some of these issues might have been discussed before, so I will apologize for it...

As most of you, I have been reading numerous posts and articles stating the reasons as to why AJ was 4-1 in 2002. There are the good points that give good reason as to why, like, the game planning that was simplified for him; the great Eagles defense won those games despite of him, and their opponents had a combine loosing record. Sounds like some of the same excuses for a local QB we know of for the last 4 years, doesn't it? ;)

So, I went and took some stats from the Eagles team in 2002 and compared them to our own team. I also took comparison stats from Donavan McNabb's 12 games played in his rookie season and compared it to AJ's first 5 rookie starts. Since McNabb is a good QB, I will compare him to AJ in 2002. Not trying to post my views just some stats since I am trying to kill the football-less-time.

EAGLES OPPONENTS IN 2002-
One thing that should be noted, and this in no way tries to diminish AJ winning record in 2002, the total winning percentage of all opponents of the Eagles in this year was 120-136= .468%. It is safe to say that 10 of those 16 teams were -.500.

McNabb's record was 7-3; 5-1 against -.500 teams and 2-2 against +.500 teams.

AJ's record was 4-1; won all games against -.500 teams and loosing to the only +.500 team he faced. That game lost by 3 points.

IMHO this can just as much lay claim to say that the Eagles defense (in 2002) helped McNabb as much as AJ.

COMPARING DOLPHINS-EAGLES 2002-
In 2002 the Eagles had a 12-4 record and Miami was 9-7. The Eagles defense was ranked # 2 in Points Allowed (241), and Miami was # 4 (301). The eagles offense was ranked # 4, in Points Scored (415); inspite of AJ starting 5 games, while Miami was ranked # 12 (378). We were of-course, a run oriented team, unlike the Eagles that are passing team. Both had strong defenses that dominated opponents.

IMHO we have a pretty good defense also, no denying that, and we have improved it this year in offseason and draft. With even a slightly improved OL this year, AJ should be able to excell over JF as long as he has the desire, since he has the ability.

COMPARING AJ AND MCNABB's FIRST GAMES-
In AJ's first 5 starts (2002) on his 2nd year, as a 3rd string QB, he did much better than McNabb's first 12 games in 1999, stats wise.

In comparing stats AJ had a 55% Comp rate over McNabb's 49 %; AJ had a QBR of 75.4% over McNabb's 60.1%; AJ had 5 TDs, 5 INT over McNabb's 8 TD, 7 INT; AJ was sacked 7 times in his first 6 games and McNabb 28 times in his first 12...

In 2002 AJ had 19% of his Incompletions dropped and McNabb had 13%; AJ had 38% of his Incompletions for Poor Throws while McNabb was worse with 43%.

It is safe to say that as the 3rd string QB in 02, AJ had very little if few opportunities to play with the starting line up. Detmer was taking what ever opportunities was given to him in practice with the first team.

SOME COMPARISON ON AJ-JF-
AJ's Poor Throwing record, yeah in only 5 games ;), is better than what JF was in 03 (AJ 38% of Incomp; JF 45%). Also AJ's INT record was better than JF in 03 (AJ 3.2% of att passes to JF 4.1% of att passes).

IMHO, AJ did extremely well, "Put in the Fire", sort of, to keep the team winning despite only playing with the first team for only 5 weeks, while McNabb had been playing for 4 years. They were playing for Homefield advantage in the Postseason. Our own JF had the offseason all mini camps, QB camps and training camp and Pre-Season games (if I am not mistaken), before his first start as a Dolphin...

So, some think we gave up a low round pick and payed alot of money for a 3rd string QB with potential, well, that only time will tell. If stats are true to their nature, we will see some of that potential become reality starting in September.

Also, JF will have real competition in camp for the first time since he became a Dolphin. Huard and what was his name,"Lucas," I think ;) were really never competitive and Griese came into camp late and injured. So this is JF's time to shine or turnover the torch...

God, I hate saying this, but, if RS added the right talent at these positions, even Jay Fiedler might look good. ;)

Well to sum it all up, today on paper, our team has improved since 2002, with OL, WR, D-secondary and Special Teams improvements, we look to have a more promising season than the last 2 years...

Looking forward to reading your oppinions...

Last edited by a moderator:
That was an excellent statistical breakdown. Nice work. I am very anxious to see how A.J. performs with the revamped Dolphins offense.

The only thing that matters to me, is that Rick sees the same thing in Feeley that he saw in Hasselbeck, and there are very few QB's in the league that I'd take over Hasselbeck.

WOW, great work. I think what AJ did when he played is quite impressive considering whe was third string and there fore got VERY limited time with the first team until the injuries. I think AJ will do just fine.......Outstanding compared to his predecesor

Does anyone know how well AJ can run playaction? I havent seen him run it but man with RW in the back field the playaction could be devastating, especailly with the big guns outside. If AJ can run playaction it will help him tremendously in the passing game, by freezing safeties and giving him one on one matchups with Boston and CC. Lets hope that Wanny tailors the style of play to the talent we have on the team now, and not putting square pegs into round holes.

Fins2theend said:
Does anyone know how well AJ can run playaction? I havent seen him run it but man with RW in the back field the playaction could be devastating, especailly with the big guns outside. If AJ can run playaction it will help him tremendously in the passing game, by freezing safeties and giving him one on one matchups with Boston and CC. Lets hope that Wanny tailors the style of play to the talent we have on the team now, and not putting square pegs into round holes.
I don't think we saw enough AJ in play action to makde any kind of judgment there, but compared to McNabb, he came off as a pocket passer, and a good one at that. It'll be interesting to see what he will do as a starter with some real receiving talent in Miami. I know some Iggles fans that will be pulling for you...

My main concern with Feeley is that what if his success in a limited number of starts was due to teams not having any familiarity to him playing? Once our opponents get used to facing him and kind of know what to expect, will he be as good?

That will be a good question but so will" Does AJ get better as he starts to know what to expect from other teams?" As long as he learns from his mistakes he will be fine, he already has a better arm than Jay which will open up the deeper routes. Which in turn should help open up the running game. All of which will make life easier on AJ and the maturing process. I look at it as we just drafted him and will hold no expectations until I see him play on the field.

Thanks all for your opinions...

Relive1972, I kind of agree with you on how defensive teams scheme and plan on attacking the QB at his weaknesses, specially when they know them, and since that was AJ's firsts starts, no one had enough info on the guy..

I have to say though, our defensive schemes have worked out great when playing against novice QBs. I would say, we have been successful when playing against a novice QB, the few games we have lost have been due to lack of execution on the offensive side...

Keep in mind that Miami has a new Q.B. Coach that is one of the best in the N.F.L. He will bring out the best in Feeley and wherever he is lacking Trestman will handle the problems. He will work with his playaction, mechanics, reads and make this guy as good as he can be. Marc Trestman will pay dividends big time and our Quarterbacks and this Miami Dolphin Football team is fortunate to have him.

Great post. Some good info on what we might be seeing every Sunday. Personnally, I like AJ and think he will become a great player. Like most QB's, it might take a game or three!!!!

Wait, McNabb is a good QB?

Thats news to me!

Its all hype folks, the guy has worse accuracy then Fiedler.

Stamos said:
Wait, McNabb is a good QB?

Thats news to me!

Its all hype folks, the guy has worse accuracy then Fiedler.

Whoa, feeley or mcnabb.. cause mcnabb has accuracy but he is just not consistent with it.. he has a cannon arm and his major threat is running the ball.. but he can get the ball in there with accuracy sometimes.. :roflmao:

OH MY GOD... my balls are all tickeled with anticipation! I really really hope this kid turns out to be really good for the team. I'm not giving up on Jay... if he proves this season that he's still the starter, than so be it. But... man... my nuts... they ache.

Spazzo.

Back
Top Bottom