Last Night | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Last Night

tay0365

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I was actually pretty satisfied with what I saw last night, with any real game planning, Miami held their own against the Eagles in their home. One of the things that I believe will be a big advantage with Miami to win tougher games will be game planning and strategy for each opponent, and I saw a lot of good things from Gase and the other coaches in that regard. To me I needed to see 5 things to feel more comfortable for the season from the 3rd preseason dress rehearsal.

1. Cutler needed to show consistency, without making any huge mistakes.
Cutler looked under control, made some darn good throws, and actually did not make any head scratching mistakes.

2. AJayi and Drake need to prove to us, they can run the ball.
Ajayi was again his overpowering self, and Drake showed he could add to a great 1-2 punch in the running game.

3, The receivers need to get open, and make catches in tough situations.
Though still not getting open as quickly or consistently as they should considering their talent, they still do a good job, and as far as catching the ball, they are as good as they come, just put the ball close to them, they will get it...very Anti-Wallace.

4. The O-line needs to be at least solid.
Though they were not exactly anything to feel confident about (Tunsil of all people failing does leave a bad feeling in your stomach), they were not horrible, and did show a little consistency...but they must get better or it's pretty much over before it begins.

5. The Defense has to consistently be good.
My Biggest fear (Yes, bigger then the o-line), this defense needs to play more consistently, Miami can not go into shootouts and expect to win. They need to get off the field on 3rd down, and it will not matter what happens on offense.

As I said, our game planning will be a huge addition to the team being successful, Gase proved last year he is great in that area, and adjusting at half time was also great to see, considering most of our HC before Gase refuse to change the game plan at halftime no matter our bad it was working, but the players need to produce, especially on defense, but I do not know why, but I do feel confident after watching last night game, we will be OK.

Good analysis Tay, I'm not really worried about Tunsil, he is just too talented not to be great. He will get it together. Other then that you are spot on. I worry about the defense however I think as long as they stay healthy, they will turn it up during he regular season and be solid. Maxwell is concerning though.

VERY concerned about the defense, the Philly second team was pretty much having their way with our starters. Our front 4 looked pretty good, decent at least, Timmons flashed several times last night. The secondary look TERRIBLE, lots of confusion and missed assignments, they need to play much better.

Cutler looked good, although you could see a bit of rust. That play where he spiked the ball to save the sack was a very savvy move, shows that he processes very quickly, he needs to get in better synch with the WRs, a lot of those deep throws were a bit under thrown. Ajai look like he's in midseason form, he looks like he wants to make a statement this year.

Most surprising; what about the rookie FA punter Haak (sp?), he was BOOMING punts last night, he might be a keeper. Coverage teams looked better last night.

Good analysis Tay, I'm not really worried about Tunsil, he is just too talented not to be great. He will get it together. Other then that you are spot on. I worry about the defense however I think as long as they stay healthy, they will turn it up during he regular season and be solid. Maxwell is concerning though.

Yea, neither am I for the most part, what does scare me a little, is if there is some type of injury that we don't know about, that might be keeping him from being 100%. Though I doubt it's anything to get nervous about, we will be playing some very good pass-rushing teams early in the schedule, so we will need Tunsil to be ready.

Somewhat concerned about the secondary, they need to communicate better than that.

VERY concerned about the defense, the Philly second team was pretty much having their way with our starters. Our front 4 looked pretty good, decent at least, Timmons flashed several times last night. The secondary look TERRIBLE, lots of confusion and missed assignments, they need to play much better.

Cutler looked good, although you could see a bit of rust. That play where he spiked the ball to save the sack was a very savvy move, shows that he processes very quickly, he needs to get in better synch with the WRs, a lot of those deep throws were a bit under thrown. Ajai look like he's in midseason form, he looks like he wants to make a statement this year.

Most surprising; what about the rookie FA punter Haak (sp?), he was BOOMING punts last night, he might be a keeper. Coverage teams looked better last night.

Well, you know what, I will take Cutler with a little rust for now, because I was getting nervous we would be getting an out of shape Cutler that was going to take at least a few games into the season before he could become effective.

I agree, that Punter did look intriguing, this is going to be a very interesting 1st week of the season...Hopefully they don't play too many starters (If any) in preseason game 4.

Somewhat concerned about the secondary, they need to communicate better than that.

Maxwell is so inconsistent, one moment he can be playing like a probowler, then the next, your wondering if it would not benefit the team to sit him, and get another of the young kids to take a shot. Our safeties need to show up, hope Jones is ready by seasons end, we will need him.

Our WRs are such different speeds it will take Cutty a little to adjust to each one. That Stills throw should of been a td but he was 5 yards shy

This is a different unit WITH Pouncey in the middle. Look no further than Ajayi's numbers without him. We can count on a couple of mental lapses from James each game. Whether that's being out of position, holding, false start, etc. Now it looks as though that may happen with our other bookend. He needs to get better in pass pro but is an upgrade in the run game IMO. He has the talent but he needs to get it together between the ears. He should be fine. The play where he gave up a sack, something was way off. It is definitely not due to his physical abilities but he looked lethargic....almost like Dallas Thomas. He just wasn't ready.

We can get by with sub-par guards IF the tackles (and center) are solid. We cannot afford to have lapses by these guys as well. The real problems start if Tunsil gets hurt. Young is nowhere near good enough at LT.

Not unlike most QB's, Cutler is a different player under pressure. If they can keep him clean, this would be a high powered offense with Parker leading the way. Thomas had a TD but he wasn't even ready for the ball if you watch the play. Luckily he caught it. He was not good as a blocker and straight up whiffed on several attempts.

These guys are just now getting to finalize the lineup and get a chance to work with each other. Hopefully the line continues to evolve as they work more together. Still not enough depth at LB or OL.

I don't know why but every time I see Timmons, he looks so much bigger than his listed height/weight (6'1 234). He has always looked like a 6'4 DE in Pittsburgh and I noticed it again last night. Not sure what it is...

Well, you know what, I will take Cutler with a little rust for now, because I was getting nervous we would be getting an out of shape Cutler that was going to take at least a few games into the season before he could become effective.

I agree, that Punter did look intriguing, this is going to be a very interesting 1st week of the season...Hopefully they don't play too many starters (If any) in preseason game 4.

Agreed with Cutler; his "rusty self" is still good enough to move the offense and make some things happen. His arm talent is obvious, he also has a good pocket presence and is able to process what is happening around him pretty quickly, as evidenced by that spike to save the sack. Once he gets the timing down with the receivers, and the offense as a whole, our offense can be dynamic.

The defense however, just offensive.

Yea, neither am I for the most part, what does scare me a little, is if there is some type of injury that we don't know about, that might be keeping him from being 100%. Though I doubt it's anything to get nervous about, we will be playing some very good pass-rushing teams early in the schedule, so we will need Tunsil to be ready.

I think it's a personal thing. He has been giving a lot of time off to deal with something and it appears to be occupying his head. I think he just had a baby and I hope and pray everything is ok with his family.

It's pre-season, it means zip. Coming soon, real games and the D better show up when it counts.

On that last gif if jones is bracketing the tight end why is he only reacting to the vertical? Must be just a read the qbs eyes in his pedal bracket if that's the case.

Timmons looks like he carries 240 on him. That doesn't look under 235 that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom