Last Season was a fluke IMO..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Last Season was a fluke IMO.....

Super_Duper85

Deep Threat
Reaction score
Say Miami would have beated NE at home and Houston the first game of the season (these were the two games we had won and should never have lost). We would have finished 12-4. We still would not have hosted a playoff game. Indy and Ten would have had the same or better records (plus they beat us). Maybe last year was a fluke (due to all the teams with good records in the AFC playoffs). I mean, we could have finished 12-4 and been on the road in the playoffs. That kind of sucks no matter how you look at it.

i kind of agree

we have been so close for so long--it is those couple of "should haves" that seperate the bunch, and we haven't won them

Geoff in WI

Super_Duper85 said:
Say Miami would have beated NE at home and Houston the first game of the season (these were the two games we had won and should never have lost). We would have finished 12-4. We still would not have hosted a playoff game. Indy and Ten would have had the same or better records (plus they beat us). Maybe last year was a fluke (due to all the teams with good records in the AFC playoffs). I mean, we could have finished 12-4 and been on the road in the playoffs. That kind of sucks no matter how you look at it.
A fluke I believe is something that happens that is lucky.

Now if your suggesting we were lucky to be 10-6 I would have to agree, we had 9 teams who finished 6-10 or worse on our schedule, we had rookie quarterbacks we faced, bad backups for injured starting quarterbacks we faced, these games accounted for 8 wins alone.

When we had to face teams with winning records we were 2-5, I actually think this was about an 8-8 team last year that was a fluke 10-6 team due to an easy schedule.

You can say "if we beat NE and if we beat Houston we would be 12-4" but we didn't beat those teams! We lost, and we went 10-6. There are other games that we won that we could have easily lost as well, so if Mare didn't hit that field goal at the end against the Jets, we would be 9-7. Or you could also say, if we never came back against the Redskins, we would be 9-7. We were a 10-6 team last year.

We also we have beten the Colts, we were chargning down the feild and then the line gave up. Also the Pats at home, we had that the hole game. Damn Marlinas dirt on our feild.

iceblizzard69 said:
You can say "if we beat NE and if we beat Houston we would be 12-4" but we didn't beat those teams! We lost, and we went 10-6. There are other games that we won that we could have easily lost as well, so if Mare didn't hit that field goal at the end against the Jets, we would be 9-7. Or you could also say, if we never came back against the Redskins, we would be 9-7. We were a 10-6 team last year.
I agree with ya bizzard. Its easy to set here now and start thinking about all the IFS. Believe me I used to do that. We were a 10-6 team last year. Do I believe we should have been better maybe 12-4 sure we could have. We only got beat by 2 teams by more than 7 points. Tennessee (31-7) and New England (12-0). We were in the game against New England until the very end. We never had a chance against Tennessee we had to many key injurys that game. I look at the season a little different. We lost 2 games to New England no matter how much you hate them and I dislike them they are Superbowl Champs UGGGGG. We lost to Indy 2:17 left we are going in the endzone and Griese gets stripped. Indy 12-4 AFC Championship Game. Tennessee 12-4 made it to the game before AFC Championship Game. Philadelphia 12-4 NFC Championship Game. Oh yeah and Houston we just underestimated them. Yes we could have been more than 10-6 but we were 10-6. When you look at our losses we lost to some good teams that is something to build on to know that hey we played with the best last season despite our weaknesses.

BlueFin said:
A fluke I believe is something that happens that is lucky.

Now if your suggesting we were lucky to be 10-6 I would have to agree, we had 9 teams who finished 6-10 or worse on our schedule, we had rookie quarterbacks we faced, bad backups for injured starting quarterbacks we faced, these games accounted for 8 wins alone.

When we had to face teams with winning records we were 2-5, I actually think this was about an 8-8 team last year that was a fluke 10-6 team due to an easy schedule.

You can look at my post above on this same thread. Hey man a win is a win a loss is a loss you look at some of the other teams that made it to the playoffs they played some teams that finish 6-10 as well. This team was a 10-6 team.
Those 6-10 teams we gave them one of those 10 losses. Any given Sunday in this league you can be beat there is no gimme. Theres not a team out there that is gonna come out and lay down and let them beat you that is the beauty of the league.

Super_Duper85 said:
Say Miami would have beated NE at home and Houston the first game of the season (these were the two games we had won and should never have lost). We would have finished 12-4.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

The bottom line is the "Paper Champions" once again underachieved.

If the Pats didn't trade Lawyer Milloy to the Bills and they don't have 4 turnovers against the Redskins they would have finished the season 19-0.

See how utterly stupid comment like that are?

Super_Duper85 said:

This has been my contention all along. strangly enough, defense was the reason for those losses...........oh and Olindo mare. Hardly Jay Fiedlers fault.

I guess my main point in posting the thread is I don't understand why people say we suck. My point was to illustrate that a field goal here or a turnover there and you could go from the Superbowl to not making the playoffs. Additionally, I was also saying that last season was a fluke because had we gone 12-4 (which is a great record) it would not have imporved our chances at getting to the Super Bowl. I guess in a round about way I was trying to say last year was weird because "hypothetically" we could have gone 12-4 and played a road playoff game. I tend to agree that we were lucky to be 10-6 in the first place. I mainly thought last year was weird because any other year and we make the playoffs easily.

Back
Top Bottom