Late round gems, show your favorites | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Late round gems, show your favorites

Joe Dahl reminds me of Mark Dixon. First and foremost, Dahl has really good hands. Keeps his elbows tucked, iron grip really hard to break but even when someone does he's very active and quick with those hands and is able to keep punching and steering. Mirrors well with his feet, not afraid to get flat backed to generate some explosiveness and get movement. Probably biggest issues are sometimes getting too high particularly when he needs to anchor, and you figure time and technique to cure the smaller ills. Time to get stronger and bigger in a professional program, technique to keep his butt down a bit more consistently. He's a bit like Ali Marpet that way, a guy I had as a high 2nd rounder last year. But Dahl isn't quite as good as Marpet in space.

At barely 6'4" he had no business playing left tackle particularly in that hideous wide spacing you see in Leach offenses, where everything basically turns into a 1-on-1 pit drill (and I've seen enough of those over 7 years of Shrine practices to know they strongly favor defensive linemen) and defensive ends have plenty of runway to go speed to power on you. He was surprising how well he did. Le'Raven Clark struggled a lot more in that wide spacing as a left tackle.

Joe Thuney as a player reminds me a lot of Evan Mathis. They measured and tested virtually the same in a Combine setting. Thuney was another guy you thought based on size had no business being out at left tackle but he was out there and he did well.

The second game of the season, which was the second game Thuney had played at college left tackle, he has to face probably the best pure pass rusher in the draft in Noah Spence. You could see how mechanical Thuney was in his kick step and footwork, focusing more on getting his feet exactly the way you coach it rather than being an athlete and stopping this uber athletic dynamo from getting to the passer. He didn't stand a chance. Spence schooled him a few times, but what I liked about Thuney was, and this was consistent across his tapes, you show him one thing and you're probably not going to beat him the same way again. Sure enough after only perhaps two or three embarrassing snaps against Spence to start the game, Thuney had Noah well in hand for maybe three-quarters of the game. They sent some help his direction at times but it wasn't really necessary.

Similarly you could watch the battle between Thuney and Shaq Lawson, and this time I think it was Lawson who was unprepared to be challenged by this no-name guard who just moved to left tackle this year. Some of those initial snaps of Lawson's were among the most uncreative I've seen in terms of finding a way to beat the tackle and get to the quarterback. I like that Shaq Lawson adjusted though. He got Thuney with a similar move to what he pulled on Ronnie Stanley, and this is one of the reasons I like Lawson because he clearly understands angles and how to use not just his hands but his feet to create opportunities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbLv4V0fo0o&feature=youtu.be&t=299

You watch him at 0.25x speed and what he does is pull kind of a Bruce Smith move, get his shoulder perpendicular while actually arcing slightly outward instead of just going vertical or cutting the corner too sharply. This draws Thuney into getting his own shoulders perpendicular and lunging outward at Lawson, who just created spacing that Thuney wasn't expecting. When Lawson did this to Ronnie Stanley, I believe Shaq used his hands to pull Ronnie's jersey downward and then he went inside of him. In this case he goes outside of the lunging Thuney. But really once you've got the tackle stepping out to you with his shoulders perpedicular, you can go inside or outside of him, doesn't matter all that much.

A few snaps later, Shaq Lawson pulled another move on Thuney that he had busted out on Ronnie Stanley to great success, the inside spin move. Lucky for Joe the back was there to pick Lawson up.

https://youtu.be/dbLv4V0fo0o?t=368

But here's the thing...after Lawson fired those two bullets in response to Thuney giving him a lot more of a challenge than he'd expected...Thuney adjusted and locked Shaq Lawson down completely for the remainder of the game. I've seen all of Shaq Lawson's games from 2015 and this game on the balance of things was the worst of them. He played better against Alabama and Cam Robinson, and that was with a sprained MCL keeping him at 50% by his own estimation.

When you watch tape after tape of Thuney, this is what you see. You see a smart player that adjusts. He adjusts to the outside speed of a Noah Spence, adjusts to the savvy and power of a Shaq Lawson, never even had a lick of trouble on the occasions he faced Devonte Fields, didn't really have any trouble with Florida State's pass rushers. Dadi Nicholas never played on Thuney's side but Thuney certainly didn't have any trouble against Virginia Tech. Aside from one play where Joe got thrown to the ground while trying to pull, he generally got the best of Sheldon Rankins as a guard in 2014. You see a player with an uncommonly strong back doing things from an anchor standpoint that you don't think he should be able to do, particularly after getting the blow delivered to him on some plays. You see a player with really good hands, not quite an iron grip like Dahl's but more active with punches, quicker to reload and get leverage, particularly good at getting players' shoulders turned and finding ways to hold them without doing something you're going to get called for. You see a player with tight end athleticism and uncommon lateral range.

Like Dahl the question you're left with is whether the most impressive you're ever going to see this player be is at left tackle where they play surprisingly well despite having no right to look that good based on their height. Thuney has a 79 inch wingspan which is not dissimilar from some other tackles you see that have rate high like Joe Thomas or Jake Matthews. Dahl's wingspan is about 80 inches. Like Dahl you wonder if the guy can anchor in the middle at only about 300-305 lbs, faced up on big, strong and explosive players. Dahl had some issues with Jarran Reed delivering the blow at the Senior Bowl, and Thuney initially allowed guys like Alex Balducci and David Dean to deliver the blow at the Shrine game before Thuney adjusted and handled business against them really well, but what happens when those are 330 lbs guys instead of 290 lbs guys?

This is why we're discussing them as gems instead of discussing them as options for pick #42, for example. But it's well to remember it took Evan Mathis like 5 or 6 years bouncing around the NFL before every clicked, and it took Mark Dixon a number of years up in the CFL before he was NFL ready. So I think if you be a little patient with guys like Thuney and Dahl you could have something very good in the end.

Connor McGovern is another prospect like this, by the way.

You want a real shot out of nowhere, Justin Zimmer has already been mentioned but what of Golden Ukonu of Long Island University?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mch-CiUpH-g

If it can be believed, the guy has 35.5 inch arms, ran a 4.82 at 360 lbs, had a 4.36 shuttle and 7.32 cone drill. I'm actually not sure I believe those numbers to be honest but on tape you can see that he is legitimately unique from a physical standpoint. You see it in his short area burst when he's exploding into people and you see it in his lateral movement when he's mirroring. This is a 360 lbs man, not supposed to move like that. Needs a lot of work physically and on technique, his mental game is not up to par which is part of why he looks so slow until he explodes into someone.

A couple of special teams guys deserve a mention. Soma Vainuku of my alma mater USC has been a huge Coliseum favorite for years. He sets the tone and fires up the bench with big hits on coverage, some of which became legendary within the fan base. Vainuku has also blocked several punts.

His position is fullback. Mostly a blocker. Can catch the ball. Tends to get too heavy and has to fight to get back down. He had some good moments at fullback early in his career but then was used less once Sarkisian took over and changed the offense. Many USC insiders thought it was a mistake and that Vainuku can contribute at fullback in spot duty if he gets with the right team and has his weight at reasonable level.

I'm not sure what Gase wants to do at the fullback position but since he runs the ball much more frequently than our recent past it wouldn't be illogical to keep a special teams ace with fullback capability.

Morgan Burns of Kansas State is much smaller. He's a cornerback and probably a liability there. However, he's a three time conference special teams player of the year, which is very rare. Burns is mostly a return guy but he's also thumped kicks. Last season he averaged more than 33 yards per kickoff return including four touchdowns. One season earlier he shared kickoff return duties with Tyler Lockett and managed more than 10 yards per return above Lockett. Not a burner but nice instincts and weaving ability to take advantage of blocks. Unfortunately he's been strictly a kickoff return guy, which is obviously less important these days in the NFL with the ball kicked from the 35. Burns isn't a quick nifty guy who seems ideal as a punt returner.

BTW, that rules change moving touchbacks to the 25 yard line after kickoffs makes it mandatory to have a sharp guy(s) back there to return. The college game has featured that rule for several years. You see one idiot after another who doesn't differentiate between Bethune Cookman or a juggernaut as opponent. Those returns will waltz to the 40 or beyond when brought out against stiffs but be massacred at the 14 yard line and energize a superior foe. NFL guys were taking those kickoffs out from 7 or 8 yards deep, particularly the first year after the move to the 35. If they do that now they should be immediately removed from that return role. The math toward a likely successful points scoring drive is wildly different beginning at the 25 compared to a half dozen or more yards further back.

That's so true what's you said Awsi, about the late rounders / sleepers. It gets so annoying seeing countless first round mocks. Why not go a little deeper, the second, third, and beyond!

But whatever.

On your list I see javon hargrave, I saw a mock earlier today with him in the first round I'm pretty sure. So I guess people might not be sleeping on him anymore

Most fans don't really have much knowledge past the 1st rnd, so your just not getting many mocks that go deep. But yeah I agree with you.

And honestly this draft is hard as hell to scout. It takes more time to scout this group than normal IMO. It's just an ugly confusing weird draft where almost everything looks like **** if you want it to, and your constantly trying to convince yourself a player is good.

Last year I knew the players well into the 6th rnd. This year after the 3rd I'll probably be pretty lost. Just a hard draft for me to get into, it reminds me of the year we drafted Daniel Thomas, just a hard draft to enjoy, Pre or post draft.

It's hard to imagine not being disappointed by our picks, because most of the players are pretty disappointing.

Here's another one. This is just plain silly.

George Fant was a basketball player at WKU and decided to come out to the football team in 2015. The problem there is WKU happens to have a hell of a good TE prospect already in Tyler Higbee, so there didn't end up being a ton of room for him to pull off a Jimmy Graham. He played as a blocker, but not much. He's been working out with Jake Fisher of the Bengals and Ignition, training for the NFL to be a combination TE/OT player.

Height: 6047
Weight: 296 lbs
Wingspan: 85.5" (that's 7'1.5")
Hands: 10"
Bench: 22 reps
Forty: 4.84
Twenty: 2.82
Ten: 1.77
Vertical: 37"
Broad Jump: 9'11"
Shuttle: 4.54
Cone: 7.20

Those results are looney tunes. I'd consider putting him on the defensive line and seeing what he can do there. But reality is he's probably going to be tried as a 3rd tackle type tight end initially in the NFL.

Those results are looney tunes. I'd consider putting him on the defensive line and seeing what he can do there. But reality is he's probably going to be tried as a 3rd tackle type tight end initially in the NFL.

Is this for real? Some numbers just don't add up - like the numbers on Golden Ukonu.

re your point as 3rd Tackle - Jason Peters esq then?

Here's another one. This is just plain silly.

George Fant was a basketball player at WKU and decided to come out to the football team in 2015. The problem there is WKU happens to have a hell of a good TE prospect already in Tyler Higbee, so there didn't end up being a ton of room for him to pull off a Jimmy Graham. He played as a blocker, but not much. He's been working out with Jake Fisher of the Bengals and Ignition, training for the NFL to be a combination TE/OT player.

Height: 6047
Wingspan: 85.5" (that's 7'1.5")
Hands: 10"
Bench: 22 reps

Whoa those are some long arms. How's his pad level? Does he ave any flexibility? Could be exciting on the Dline

Deon Bush at FS. He's projected to go in the 6th at this point, and he should at least be a serviceable safety in the NFL. Hit's hard, will force fumble's, and has a solid nose for the ball. And like most Cane players the last decade I'm sure he hasn't scratched the surface on his potential with the lousy coaching they all have gotten in Coral Gables.

I also like Denver Kirkland from Arkansas. At one point people thought he would be a 2nd or 3rd round picks, but he's fallen to the back of the draft the last 6 mths. I think his floor is John Jerry, and he ends up being a decent starting guard in the league. Worth a 6th or 7th round pick.

DB
D.J. White Georgia Tech 5-11 193

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/d.j.-white?id=2555555

Bottom Line
While White is just a shade smaller and slower than teams usually like outside, he makes up for it with his instincts, athleticism and cover skills. White is relatively clean in coverage and is able to stick to his targets, but may not take enough chances to become a ball ­hawk who takes the ball away. White's ball skills and feel for the position could put him in position for early snaps as a third corner and he has eventual starter potential.

Absolutely love this kid. Hope we get him. High effort player.

QB Jeff Driskel, La Tech
RB Daniel Lasco, Cal
RB Dwayne Washington, Washington
RB Josh Ferguson, Illinois
RB Devon Johnson, Marshall
WR Keyarris Garrett, Tulsa
WR Kolby Listenbee, TCU
TE Tyler Higbee, Western Kentucky
TE Thomas Duarte, UCLA
OL Joe Thuney, NC State
OG Joe Dahl, Washington State
OG Landon Turner, UNC
OL Parker Ehinger, Cincinnati
DT Adam Gotsis, Georgia Tech
DL Sheldon Day, Notre Dame
DE Bronson Kaufusi, BYU
DE/OLB Dadi Nicholas, Va Tech
DE/OLB Tyrone Holmes, Montana
DE Matt Judon, Grand Valley State
DE/OLB Victor Ochi, Stony Brook
LB Deion Jones, LSU
LB Joe Schobert, Wisconsin
LB Steven Daniels, Boston College
LB Tyler Matakevich, Temple
LB B.J. Goodson, Clemson
LB De'Vondre Campbell, Minnesota
LB Travis Feeney, Washington
CB Maurice Canady, Virginia
CB KeiVarae Russell, Notre Dame
CB Jonathan Jones, Auburn
CB Eric Murray, Minnesota
S Kevin Byard, Middle Tennessee
S Justin Simmons, Boston College
S Deiondre Hall, UNI
S Derrick Kindred, TCU
S D.J. Hunter, Marshall

Not really a complete list but those are some.

Great list, the Phins didn't end up with a one, which is ok. I'm curious why you didn't list Doughty here, but seem quite enamored with him in your posts?

You and Slimm are quite good at this, though, so that's not a slight, but more of a question of when did you start to come around on Doughty so much?

Back
Top Bottom