Latest Bleacher Report mock has Dolphins picking Gators CB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Latest Bleacher Report mock has Dolphins picking Gators CB

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins are in the market for a young secondary player.
In Bleacher Report’s most recent mock draft, the team proposes to address that need, selecting Florida cornerback Teez Tabor with the No. 22 overall selection.

[video=youtube;jOWc1i8R6hw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOWc1i8R6hw[/video]

Over three seasons in college, Tabor accounted for 104 combined tackles, 11 of which went for a loss, while adding four quarterback sacks. He intercepted eight passes and amassed 129 return yards, scoring three times on defense. Tabor got his hands on an additional 28 passes in coverage.
That’s where Tabor plays his best, in the deep field one on one against receivers. Playing against the rush is a noted weakness, and a noted need for the Dolphins, who fielded the NFL’s third worst, though a run stopper can be located in succeeding rounds of the draft.

I'm OK with this pick depending on draft board.
He may be BPA @ #22.
Rather go with talent rather than reach for need/ another reason we need to plug some holes in FA- to give us some draft flexibility.

I don't care if we had 5 Deion Sanders at CB, even he couldn't cover as long as our guys have to with the lack of pass rush and the inability to stop the run. We had 33 sacks last year and Wake had 11.5 of them. At some point age will catch up to Wake and he will fall off, and then what happens?

I don't care if we had 5 Deion Sanders at CB, even he couldn't cover as long as our guys have to with the lack of pass rush and the inability to stop the run. We had 33 sacks last year and Wake had 11.5 of them. At some point age will catch up to Wake and he will fall off, and then what happens?

Great post.

Didn't realize how anemic our pass rush was til it was pointed out this way. Very poor sack #'s last year.

Mario Williams, 1.5 sacks. :bobdole:

I agree. We need to find away to get more pressure on the QB from a 4 or 5 man rush. That is the only way you are going to beat Brady.

It would actually make some sense. I believe he could play the slot.

I haven't really done a DEEP dive on the man but I think they have to be looking for corners that can stay with receivers over the middle of the field, which arguably is not something that Lippett, Maxwell, or even Howard can do.

But they probably don't want that guy to be JUST a slot player. They want him to be able to play in their style on the outside as well, and give them slot flexibility. They have two outside-only types in Tony Lippett and Xavien Howard who will be here for a while.

If they grab Teez Tabor then you'd expect Byron Maxwell to be traded or released immediately.

It would actually make some sense. I believe he could play the slot.

I haven't really done a DEEP dive on the man but I think they have to be looking for corners that can stay with receivers over the middle of the field, which arguably is not something that Lippett, Maxwell, or even Howard can do.

But they probably don't want that guy to be JUST a slot player. They want him to be able to play in their style on the outside as well, and give them slot flexibility. They have two outside-only types in Tony Lippett and Xavien Howard who will be here for a while.

If they grab Teez Tabor then you'd expect Byron Maxwell to be traded or released immediately.

Not a great move for a team desperately trying to improve its front-7. It's unlikely that Tabor would be as good as Maxwell as a rookie, though he does offer more versatility, so you'd be using your first pick to downgrade a starting position.

It makes some sense. While he's not quite on the level of Hargreaves or Haden imo, he offers the size and versatility they're looking for. Uber aggressive and confident. Excellent in man, just like his predecessors I mentioned. He's a top 10-15 pick in most classes. But due to the dire straits at LB and DE, a foster or Barnett would be too hard to pass up if they're somehow there.

Better than the James or pouncey picks, that's for damn sure.

Not a great move for a team desperately trying to improve its front-7. It's unlikely that Tabor would be as good as Maxwell as a rookie, though he does offer more versatility, so you'd be using your first pick to downgrade a starting position.

The 1st round pick isn't the only asset in their arsenal for trying to improve the front-7.

How good Tabor can be is up for grabs here because I've not done a deep dive on him. But his comparison isn't really Byron Maxwell. It's a combination of Byron Maxwell and Bobby McCain, and it involves Lippett.

It would be a significant cost saving move which would presumably free up assets to be used on more immediate needs. You seem to favor the front-7 as the most pressing need, so isn't that something that would appeal to you? The ability to use cash assets to purchase the kind of help for the front-7 that could pay off immediately?

Rookies don't address immediate needs very efficiently. That's the biggest issue I generally see when it comes to football asset management philosophy. I mean you may get an alright contribution from the rookie. The chances aren't great you're going to get a needle moving contribution, especially down at #22 overall. Even Laremy Tunsil wasn't so much a needle mover as it was needle-moving to just remove the unfortunate slapdicks who had been playing instead of him (Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner). And Tunsil was expected at one point to be the #1 overall pick, so what can we expect at #22?

So let's say you take a Teez Tabor because you know that down the road he's gonna solve a long term issue for you (CB #1 or #2), and he also offers you versatility which right now you don't have a whole lot of in the corner group (Howard, Maxwell, Lippett are all outside-only). Let's say immediately you expect him to be better than Bobby McCain in the slot, a little worse than Maxwell on the outside, but you think Lippett would be just as good in his third year on the outside as Maxwell anyway so that's not wholly relevant anyway.

Either way you've now got an upgrade on a starting position (slot), you're allowed to cut Byron Maxwell which saves you $8.5 million cash in 2017, plus $30.5 million cash in 2018, 2019 and 2020. With that money you purchase Calais Campbell. One for one. Swap. Maxwell was gonna make $28.5 million in 2017-19 and instead you give Calais Campbell $28.5 million over 3 years.

Wouldn't that satisfy your lust for immediate upgrades on the front-7?

I'd rather not spend a 1st on a 3rd corner but I don't know anything about this guy. I think TE would be a better way to go personally. Depends on the board I guess

The 1st round pick isn't the only asset in their arsenal for trying to improve the front-7.

How good Tabor can be is up for grabs here because I've not done a deep dive on him. But his comparison isn't really Byron Maxwell. It's a combination of Byron Maxwell and Bobby McCain, and it involves Lippett.

It would be a significant cost saving move which would presumably free up assets to be used on more immediate needs. You seem to favor the front-7 as the most pressing need, so isn't that something that would appeal to you? The ability to use cash assets to purchase the kind of help for the front-7 that could pay off immediately?

Rookies don't address immediate needs very efficiently. That's the biggest issue I generally see when it comes to football asset management philosophy. I mean you may get an alright contribution from the rookie. The chances aren't great you're going to get a needle moving contribution, especially down at #22 overall. Even Laremy Tunsil wasn't so much a needle mover as it was needle-moving to just remove the unfortunate slapdicks who had been playing instead of him (Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner). And Tunsil was expected at one point to be the #1 overall pick, so what can we expect at #22?

So let's say you take a Teez Tabor because you know that down the road he's gonna solve a long term issue for you (CB #1 or #2), and he also offers you versatility which right now you don't have a whole lot of in the corner group (Howard, Maxwell, Lippett are all outside-only). Let's say immediately you expect him to be better than Bobby McCain in the slot, a little worse than Maxwell on the outside, but you think Lippett would be just as good in his third year on the outside as Maxwell anyway so that's not wholly relevant anyway.

Either way you've now got an upgrade on a starting position (slot), you're allowed to cut Byron Maxwell which saves you $8.5 million cash in 2017, plus $30.5 million cash in 2018, 2019 and 2020. With that money you purchase Calais Campbell. One for one. Swap. Maxwell was gonna make $28.5 million in 2017-19 and instead you give Calais Campbell $28.5 million over 3 years.

I get the argument about upgrading from McCain as the slot CB, and I get the argument about gaining flexibility needed to cut Maxwell. But let's be honest, there is no way the Dolphins are paying Maxwell $10m in 2018 when cutting him then doesn't incur any dead cap money. You're saving $5.5m in 2017 by being able to cut Maxwell. I just can't imagine the Dolphins' front office are projecting Maxwell to be on their roster in 2018, at least not at $10m. That's not to say drafting Tabor and signing Campbell is a bad idea, but I just wanted to point out the loss of cap flexibility in 2018 and beyond which would result from those moves.

I get the argument about upgrading from McCain as the slot CB, and I get the argument about gaining flexibility needed to cut Maxwell. But let's be honest, there is no way the Dolphins are paying Maxwell $10m in 2018 when cutting him then doesn't incur any dead cap money. You're saving $5.5m in 2017 by being able to cut Maxwell. I just can't imagine the Dolphins' front office are projecting Maxwell to be on their roster in 2018, at least not at $10m. That's not to say drafting Tabor and signing Campbell is a bad idea, but I just wanted to point out the loss of cap flexibility in 2018 and beyond which would result from those moves.

Part of what I do for a living involves evaluating companies and their accounting systems. People get too caught up with salary cap accounting accruals in today's NFL. They're too obsessed. They need to be more obsessed with cash flow.

Once upon a time the accrual based accounting system held primacy. With old CBAs, there was no way to move salary cap space forward. You could always roll future cap space backward to the present via amortization, etc. But the cap space you had in the present always died when the year died. No longer the case. Now the accounting is pretty free and fungible.

So as long as you don't have a whole lot of sin money carryover that you're rolling forward, which is to say cash that you've actually paid a guy that exceeds the amount of service he's provided you (in terms of numbers of years multiplied by average compensation per year), then the you mostly just pay attention to the cash flow and make sure that your cash expenditures are within your multi-year budgets. If, after you've planned out your cash expenditures, you find that the accounting figure doesn't match or is going to be problematic, you can plan out how you're going to manipulate the accounting figure (no shortage of options) to make it do what you need it to do. As long as you're not doling out too much cash, it's all going to work out in the end. Back in the day, teams were actually doling out cash well in excess of the salary cap and then attempting to hide it via accrual accounting. That was a no-no. And it's just not happening today.

I give that lecture every time I tell someone how much cash the team is going to save by cutting a player, and they come back and say but they'll only save X amount on the salary cap! It's just not that helpful to think about things that way. Cash first. Accounting figures second.

Incidentally with respect to Byron Maxwell, the Miami Dolphins did not pay his signing bonus. They traded for him. They paid him $8.5 million in salary in 2016 and that was what he cost them in the official accounting figure. No shenanigans there. The complication is that Byron is guaranteed $5 million in 2017, with the Miami Dolphins being the ultimate guarantor. If we cut him, we still may have to pay him up to $5 million. But the thing about that is, it's subject to offset language, which has been standard in every free agent contract the Miami Dolphins have signed for many years now. That offset language may have already existed in his Philly contract, but if it didn't, the Dolphins are certain to have added it in when they edited his contract asking him to give up $1.5 million in 2017 pay in exchange for making $5 million of it guaranteed. The offset language means that if we cut him and he goes and makes $7 million with another team somewhere, we don't have to pay him a dime. But if we cut him and he goes to another team and makes $4 million, then we will have to pay $1 million to make him square with the $5 million guarantee.

Wasn't aware there was any offset language in Maxwell's contract (I'm just looking at overthecap), but that would certainly make the prospect of being able the sever ties with him more attractive. I'm still not convinced about any benefit beyond 2017 though (unless you're talking about rolling unused 2017 cap space forward to 2018). Non-guaranteed salaries which are above a player's worth are virtually meaningless as far as I'm concerned. Cashflow is paramount for almost all businesses, but NFL franchises (the toys of billionaires) are an exception. Sorry if I missed your point here.

You think Lippett would be an adequate replacement for Maxwell? I don't agree with this piece of the equation. If you're drafting a CB in the 1st and cutting Maxwell, he has to start on the outside. Lippett would be a nice surprise, but Miami shouldn't count on him. McCain is a better slot CB than Lippett is a boundary CB, and McCain is the better athlete, with higher upside.

If Tabor grades out as your best player on D, I'll never argue with going that route, but I think the front-7 is more top-heavy than the CB group (which looks to have a lot of 1st/2nd RD CB's). If you want a starting LB, you probably have to grab him at 22 or move up from 54. Miami also needs to add legitimate talent to DE. Grabbing Nick Perry would alleviate some of that pressure, but Miami should still prioritize that position. If M. Lattimore is there at 22, that's completely different. He's a star.

Back
Top Bottom