League News, cuts, signings, rumors….. | Page 160 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

League News, cuts, signings, rumors…..

Or they think we have him here already. Don’t sleep on Coleman. Or Jackson with good coaching. The kid is still only 22.
I realize that. Especially Coleman who showed like a developable player, in the short work during camp at LT. Showed great feet and hand placement.

Not sure about Jackson. He was a complete bomb last year.

McDaniel has to have seen some positives from the OL? I think the zone blocking scheme may fit the current players better. They certainly showed they can play it. They used the scheme against NE in the late season game in 2020 and rushed for 200 yards that game.

As for the draft, I read, Miami was all over OT, Tyler Smith, at his pro day, also having dinner with him.

Yes, I get the feeling Coleman and Robert Jones just went up the depth chart.
I think Jones might be too small (Edit: at OT. I can see him inside) for McDaniel. They love their tall OTs with reach in San Francisco. Coleman has 36” arms. Crazy reach. Jackson or Hunt could probably play on the outside. I can’t believe that they deteriorated after their rookie years. I trust the staff. I think we are more salvageable up front than people realize.

PerBleacher report on Jones:

Jones has a long-limbed frame with a burly, thick build throughout his chest, core and glutes. He is a natural people-mover in the run game with the hips, core strength, and heavy handiness to deliver jolting power at the point of attack and a finisher’s mentality to bury his opponent.

He shows smooth footwork in his vertical set with a sturdy anchor to maintain the integrity of the pocket. Jones’ lateral quickness is adequate at best, and he needs more refinement to his stance, aiming points and use of hands but has the foundation of a longtime plus starter at guard without many bad habits to hinder his development.

GRADE: 7.3/10 (Round 4)

OVERALL RANK: 115/300

POSITION RANK: IOL17

PRO COMPARISON: Laken Tomlinson

Per bleacher report on Coleman:

OVERALL

Coleman is a three-year starter and team captain with two years of experience at left tackle. He most recently played left tackle as a redshirt senior. Over the last two seasons, Coleman has started in Walt Bell's uptempo, zone-based spread scheme.

Coleman has a large frame and athletic, lean build with excellent length, large hands and good feet for his size. He uses his huge wingspan and impressive quickness to get his hands on pass-rushers quickly, and he has solid leg drive and competitive toughness in the run game to compete and finish blocks.

Coleman is extremely raw with his footwork, use of hands and aiming points, but he is an intriguing developmental prospect due to his size, length, athletic ability and work ethic.

GRADE: 6.8/10 (Round 6)

OVERALL RANK: 193/300

POSITION RANK: OT19

PRO COMPARISON: Roderick Johnson

Moses is pretty solid so this hopefully bodes well for the OT market. This is a bargain deal for Ravens.

3-year $15M for Moses definitely bodes well for the OT market, imo. Expected him to take home much more than that.

Wasn't Moses terrible last year?

Let's wait to see where Brown and Armstead go, and then we'll judge.

Exactly lol. I 100 % agree.

This is why I have not really talked about FA too much.

I knew I was a Debbie downer right now. So I have tried my best to be fake cheerleader haha.

But I trust McDaniels. He's a lot smarter than me and knows what he's looking for.

So if him and Grier think these Singings get us there, I am willing to stick by them.

I really hope I'm wrong. I will love to be on this board in 9 months claiming how wrong I was.

But last season I was called chicken little and other things because I expressed similar concerns with the O line and WR unit. Unfortunately I wasn't wrong.

But, we shall see. Hopefully I am wrong.

You never know. We could sign Armstead and trade for Metcalf or Adam's and I will be tickled pink lol.

As nappy roots roots was eluding to .... there are plenty of tackles available. I just don't see how we have the cap to significantly upgrade anymore
I'll try to provide another perspective that might make you feel better about our WR unit:

Last year we went into the season like this:
WR1 - Parker
WR2 - Fuller
WR3 - Waddle
WR4 - A. Wilson
WR5/6 - Williams/Bowden/Hurns/Hollins

Parker had 40 catches for 515yds - we still have him
Fuller had 4 catches for 26yds - we'll replace him in the draft most likely
Waddle had 104 catches for 1015yds - we still have him
A. WIlson had 25 catches for 213 yds - we replaced him with Cedrick Wilson
WR5/6 group had 20 catches for 294 yds collectively - we still have Bowden and Williams as of now

Based on this, if the rookie we get instead of Fuller and the new Wilson can produce more than 29 catches for 239 yards combined, we upgraded - and closed the gap. I'd think it's more than likely that the new acquisitions are going to smash that target by adding an extra 600-800 yds.

You could argue that getting Cooper + a rookie, and pushing Parker into WR4 would've accomplished something even better, but at what cost? Who do you lose to make room for Cooper?

We'll never know which one is the better route to choose, but it is objectively true that we're upgrading our receiver group significantly.

Similarly, we upgraded our OL by adding a quality guard - and a couple of quality coaches!!! - without losing anyone (and I doubt we're done with that group). We're likely to upgrade our Defense by drafting an ILB without losing anyone. We've upgraded our backup QB without having to pay that much more. (Worth noting that QB2 has started a lot of games for Miami in recent years, so it feels like a sensible move.) We upgraded Gaskin with a better back.

We improved everywhere. As far as talent goes, our roster is at least 1-2 wins better than it was last year in my opinion, and I'll probably add another 1-2 by the time the offseason is over. It's up to McD to get that out of them, but I can't fault Grier for what he's doing, especially since we haven't screwed up our future by throwing away draft picks or restructuring contracts either.

We can disagree whether this is the right plan or not (which is something we'll never know of course), but they are executing it to perfection so far, and it makes sense to me.

Are there not upgrades out there though?
our resignings are depth, depth with another year in the system, 1 year deals, low salaries, better than trying to upgrade the depth imo..

like to see us pick up Myles Jack.

Back
Top Bottom