Letting Reggie go was a terrible move | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Letting Reggie go was a terrible move

reggie would have only helped us in the passing which would have been really nice, but as a rb he dances to much and would have had a worse result than miller. miller is a north and south player.
A lot of people say Reggie dances too much but his rushing average is very healthy in the 4.5-5.0 range the past few years. Either he dances and loses a ton of yards and offsets that with a few 99-yard runs here and there, or he is consistently pretty productive. Whichever is the case, I'll take it. While not a "complete" back, he makes plays and he was a real good leader as the OP points out - I think we missed him this year. I believe he was top 5 in total yards from scimmage this year and turned in a number of big "chunk" plays.

So outstanding he had 3.5 yards per carry this season rushing with 157 total yards in 16 games...1 td
His reception total was 8 for a grand total of 60 yards in 16 games

He stunk this year...last year and the year before
He really hasn't done anything since 2008

You're thinking of Ronnie Brown aren't you?

Its irrelevant, Reggie is not the reason this team didn't make the playoffs... But I can assure you that if we ran the ball more and it doesn't really matter who, Reggie, Lamar WHOEVER! we would have made the playoffs. I really like Tannehill and I think he'll be great, BUT he is not ready to take a team with less than 350 carries on the season to the playoffs, he's just not there yet. TBH I'd be on the fire bandwagon if it wasn't for the little voice in my head that keeps telling me maybe the playoffs weren't the goal this year and they're all in on getting Tannehill all the throws he can manage as fast as possible to hurry up the process, might be far fetched but I see no other logical explanation for putting the whole gameplan on his shoulders so quickly...

I will say this to the day I die, Reggie wasn't effective last year and the staff didn't even know how to use him, so Lamar Miller had no chance. Why people think we should have spend millions on an ineffective player is beyond me, though I think the real ineffectiveness is on the staff, not on the players.

Are you this much of a d_ck with your friends? lol.

It's not my thread, I was just giving my take on it. :idk:

Your take seems to be admitting that Miller is not that versatile and can't catch, and can't block, but at least can run with the ball. So can a lot of other players who are not starting running backs in the NFL.

Actually I misread your post in my pointless attempt of making no point.

IMO, and I'll stick up for all of our backs here, Sherman's scheme had flaws in it's pass protection assignments (perhaps handcuffed by the in-cohesiveness of the 5 upfront?). I also think Miller's hands are just fine but he struggles in some of the west coast routes, especially after block releases. Regardless that's his job and what was asked a lot of him this season.

Anyways, back to the thread, I think everyone was excited about Miller's potential going in to the season, but I don't think that if we had retained Bush, that Reggie's production would have been that much better considering our lineman and OC. Bush is sitting home this weekend too

Actually I misread your post in my pointless attempt of making no point.

IMO, and I'll stick up for all of our backs here, Sherman's scheme had flaws in it's pass protection assignments (perhaps handcuffed by the in-cohesiveness of the 5 upfront?). I also think Miller's hands are just fine but he struggles in some of the west coast routes, especially after block releases. Regardless that's his job and what was asked a lot of him this season.

Anyways, back to the thread, I think everyone was excited about Miller's potential going in to the season, but I don't think that if we had retained Bush, that Reggie's production would have been that much better considering our lineman and OC. Bush is sitting home this weekend too

No problem...it happens. Thanks.

As far as the backs, to be honest with you I was nervous about handing the torch to Miller, because I see him as a speedy change-up back. I was still positive about it, though. Now, I am more convinced we need to draft an RB or get one in FA like we did with Reggie.

In a fantasy world of course you take Reggie over the others. But our team has to deal with cap issues and signing a vet running back to a long term deal is not a great investment. Reggie has had plenty of injury problems over the years as well. I would have loved to had him this year otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reggie Bush- 5 Fumbles
Daniel Thomas- 0 Fumbles
Lamar Miller- 1 Fumble

As bad as our running game was, I'll take that trade off ANY DAY. #1 most important thing for RB's is ball security. You win the turnover margin, you win 80% of the time. Big reason why Tom Brady and Bill Bellicheck go 12-4 every year and have a bye (80% x 16 games= 12-4)

What? So? He also had more carries/catches than both Miller and Thomas combined. He was a player would absolutely should have resigned. Terrible move to NOT resign him. He was and is a dynamic that is hard to find in the NFL. Yes, we under-utilized him. However, even with that considered, he still WAY outplayed the two we have by leaps and bounds. Huge loss for this team on the field and in the locker room. Great leader with great character. Yet another horrible move.

Biggest danger in letting Reggie go was that Philbin would use it as an excuse not to run the ball. I emphasized it at the time. Philbin left Green Bay under the impression that runs are mostly a waste of time. He didn't get that from Mike McCarthy. Troy Aikman quoted McCarthy during today's game as emphasizing that rushing attempts are more important than rushing yards. Exactly. Philbin was up in the booth somewhere and never got the memo. Green Bay did an excellent job today of patiently sticking with the running game, nearly defeating a superior team despite all the injuries the Packers had in the game.

I don't want to fully revisit the Mike McCoy debate but that was a plus in his behalf, that he would value rushing attempts more than Philbin would, after his experience with Tim Tebow. McCoy as a younger guy also likely had more upside than a long term career assistant like Philbin. These are not points made after the fact. I posted those themes at the time, as did others.

Once Bush was gone, it cleared the way for our imbalanced masochism of 2013, with 7 games of fewer than 20 rushing attempts. I also posted that lack of rushes would eventually weaken our rush defense. It happened sooner than I expected.

It was more useful spending the money on matt moore this year. Look at the long ball that Moore through from out of the endzone.

Its irrelevant, Reggie is not the reason this team didn't make the playoffs... But I can assure you that if we ran the ball more and it doesn't really matter who, Reggie, Lamar WHOEVER! we would have made the playoffs. I really like Tannehill and I think he'll be great, BUT he is not ready to take a team with less than 350 carries on the season to the playoffs, he's just not there yet. TBH I'd be on the fire bandwagon if it wasn't for the little voice in my head that keeps telling me maybe the playoffs weren't the goal this year and they're all in on getting Tannehill all the throws he can manage as fast as possible to hurry up the process, might be far fetched but I see no other logical explanation for putting the whole gameplan on his shoulders so quickly...

Wax Off! Wax On! Pocket Man!

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

It was more useful spending the money on matt moore this year. Look at the long ball that Moore through from out of the endzone.

then threw a pick on the next play.

Miller and Thigpen were both looking good as receivers later in the season. Miller dropped some balls early ( and I was crucifying him for it, too), yet improved later to where I felt good about him as a receiver. Thigpen was our biggest receiving threat but I don't think he ever had a carry so there was no deception. None of our backs could block and that's just a total system-fail.

This is all a moot point. Ireland, Failbin and Sherman (and Coyle ) are all terrible, yet they are either coming back or Ross will hire even worse people. We live in sports fan Hell.

Bush should have been kept if for nothing else the explosiveness and play making ability we desperately needed,which he has,and showed while he was here. Now, I dont think he was used to the best of his ability the year before,but still even at that,he still made some absolutely incredible plays and could help keep the defense a little more honest,as it were this year,with the o-line weakened even moreso,there were not any teams afraid of our backs and running game,and were teeing off on the QB and the recievers !

We have to have some explosive playmakers and every time we get someone,we release them. Examples,Welker,Brandon Marshall,Bush,just a few. Someone will say,we had to let Marshall go because he was trouble to the team,to which I saay,why the hell did we get him for 1 year then ! That was stupid,waste what we did on him and then get rid of him after only a year,once again showing bad decision making by the GM.

Stop and think,honestly,go back through the past years and stop and look at how many absolutely bad decisions have been made on letting players go that turned out to be great somewhere else,how many bad changes have been made,like basically swapping linebackers last year abd now maybe getting ready to cut a backer this year,how many TERRIBLE QB decisions were made after Dan left,how MANY YEARS this OFFENSIVE line has been so enept most ot our grand-ma's pn here could do a beter job blocking because it still hasnt been fixed ! Im tired of waiting,no 2 more years for Ireland,if his @ss comes back next year,it better be fixed next year,this is BS !!!

Back
Top Bottom