Linebacker Depth | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Linebacker Depth

Kingdom Come

Active Roster
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything at all about how our LB's are doing in OTA's??

Timmons is old. Misi and Kiko are as fragile as cheap glass, and McMillan is rookie.

I haven't heard boo about the other guys.

Mike Hull?
Chase Allen?
Brandon Watts?
Lamin Barrow?
Neville Hewitt?
Deon Lacey?
Trevor Reilly?

Nope, not a peep. However with it being OTA practice reporters can't intelligently comment on how a LB fits in the defensive scheme. All they can say is whether a DE beats a tackle to pressure the QB, and if a WR catches the ball, or not, on a DB. Every once in a while you'll get "so, and so disrupted a play in the backfield" which is again, just the DLine being faster to react that the OLine.

Anything I've heard is that Kiko is doing great and the players look up to and love him (coaches too), Misi is well prepared and when he plays is dependable, and the Rookie is doing his part learning the playbook, and Timmons is a savvy Vet that the players respect. (for all the guys you took a shot at)

Didn't mean to put down our players,just making a point about the teams vulnerabilities at the position.

I know it will be nice to have a guy like Hewitt as a decent backup instead of our second best active linebacker on the squad.

I'm mor eworried about Center and Guard then the LB unit at this point. I think the LBs will be OK.

Lawrence Timmons is getting up there but for a guy playing injured last year he still had 11 tackles @ 3 yards & under as well as 4 in the backfield and 2 sacks. By comparison, Kiko Alonso had 3 at 3 yards or under and no tackles in the backfield. Deion Jones had 6 under 3 yards and 2 TFL's. Bobby Wagner had 3 under 3 yards and 2 in the backfield. Donta Hightower had 4 under 3 yards, and 2 TFL's and 1 sack.

It's this kind of production that is making me re-think my stance on Raekwon starting at MLB in his first year.

we are better off at lb than we have been in a long time...a really long time...but we still have range and carry coverage issues in our plan a options and depth that if it plays extended plays ugly

and we don't have safety range to offset

put the highest level instincts player at mike...in terms of inside read and diag. for my money that's raekwon but he also has the most limited range...both he and Timmons aren't the most rangy types...Timmons may run fast but he doesn't play all that fast plays the more thumper game...we basically have 2 thumpers and a rangy suspect carry coverage option in kiko

I saw some stuff on raekwons tape where he was confused by exotic formation etc. in the run game which kind of made me hit the pause button a little on how high his instincts are...this isn't Zach Thomas or luke kuechly...still having 3 above average instincts for the position lbs in the building hasn't happened in well as long as I can recall in Miami

Lawrence Timmons is getting up there but for a guy playing injured last year he still had 11 tackles @ 3 yards & under as well as 4 in the backfield and 2 sacks. By comparison, Kiko Alonso had 3 at 3 yards or under and no tackles in the backfield. Deion Jones had 6 under 3 yards and 2 TFL's. Bobby Wagner had 3 under 3 yards and 2 in the backfield. Donta Hightower had 4 under 3 yards, and 2 TFL's and 1 sack.

It's this kind of production that is making me re-think my stance on Raekwon starting at MLB in his first year.

Where do you get these numbers?

A guy on twitter I follow just started tracking these stats as he mentioned how tackle numbers alone can be misleading.

He is just a guy but he is affiliated with draftbreakdown, optimumscouting, football guys and bleacher report.

Justis Mosqueda

We need the pads on to fully evaluate the linebackers

Image only:

DBm8WP1UIAAQ79X.jpg

Although the numbers here on Timmons look impressive, just a reminder that this will be a completely different defensive system that he played in w/ the Steelers. He won't have the same benefits of flowing over the top of lineman who occupy multiple gaps or blockers to make the tackle. He'll be responsible for a single gap.

Back
Top Bottom