Long coming back for Miami? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Long coming back for Miami?

Jake Long signed to a long term deal is honestly the most tragic thing the Dolphins could do this offseason.

Not even for the right price? What if he were to offer a home town discount?

I understand not overpaying, obviously. He hasn't played at an elite level in 2+ years, and doesn't deserve to be paid as an elite LT because of that.

But if I could get a good deal on him, then I might think about it.
Again, if it's anything remotely unreasonable, then I'd say bye-bye and thanks for your service.

This is a tough one. IMO, the oline will go from mediocre to horrible if he leaves (see NE game). But is mediocre worth 12m? No 10m? maybe. Otherwise we're creating a huge hole along the oline, which is the last thing we need. I don't mind paying him a lot, as long as we have some type of "out" in case the injuries continue to plague him.

If they're talking $10M for for Long then I don't see us doing anything else in FA as Jennings, Wallace or Bowe also want $10M. This is a weak WR draft so we'd do better get our FA at WR and TE and not Jake Long.

if they're having back and forth convos already and good dialogue back and forth i'm guessing $8 mil per is on the table already...there wouldn't be much back and forth if he was offering $6 mil a year...we'll see...but i smell a $10 mil per meet in the middle thing here

They are not having back and forth diaglogue as suggested in the ESPN article the OP linked. In that article, it links a Sun-Sentinel article as its source, which cites Ireland's press conference as its source - but in Irelands press conference, he said the only time he's talked to Long was during the exit interview at the end of the season, and while Long was rehabing his injury in the Dolphins' training room. I seriously doubt he talked contract numbers with him in that setting, but that's great that ESPN has stopped fact checking the articles they cite as sources.

They are not having back and forth diaglogue as suggested in the ESPN article the OP linked. In that article, it links a Sun-Sentinel article as its source, which cites Ireland's press conference as its source - but in Irelands press conference, he said the only time he's talked to Long was during the exit interview at the end of the season, and while Long was rehabing his injury in the Dolphins' training room. I seriously doubt he talked contract numbers with him in that setting, but thats great the ESPN has stopped fact checking the articles they cite as sources.

well then if what you say here regarding the contact is correct i'd agree with you that back and forths in that setting seem unlikely...i'm sure his agent has had some dialogue though to keep things cordial...

i till think there's more money on the table here than people expect or think...

Thank you for bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

The topic has nothing to do with talking to him...... rather would YOU want him back next year or not? For how much, and why?? None of which you answered.

To me, tagging him is absolutely out of the question. Adam Schefter has stated that his franchise tag # would be $15.3 Million.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/03/report-dolphins-havent-ruled-out-tagging-jake-long/

That's way above reasonable in my book, and in no way is Jake worth that much. ESPECIALLY since he hasn't stayed healthy in 2+ years.

Anyone who signs this guy to a big money, long term contract should be terminated. He’s declined the past 3 years, he can’t stop the speed rushers anymore, and now he’s injury prone. His days of being an elite LT are over.

Can't stop speed rushers anymore? Jake never could stop speed rushers. Never.

8 million is the most I would pay him. He has declined but not as much as some think.

At the end of the day a team like the Bears will out it Miami. If Jake wants to stay he will stay but if he wants paid...cya.

They are not having back and forth diaglogue as suggested in the ESPN article the OP linked. In that article, it links a Sun-Sentinel article as its source, which cites Ireland's press conference as its source - but in Irelands press conference, he said the only time he's talked to Long was during the exit interview at the end of the season, and while Long was rehabing his injury in the Dolphins' training room. I seriously doubt he talked contract numbers with him in that setting, but that's great that ESPN has stopped fact checking the articles they cite as sources.

That stood out to me as well, but I have come to expect nothing less ESPN. Home of unparalleled journalistic integrity.

Can't stop speed rushers anymore? Jake never could stop speed rushers. Never.

To each his own.... my only point being whether he originally could, or couldn't stop the speed rush.... it's progressively worsened year in and out.

The hate on Jake Long is so overboard. Just so you haters realize, not resigning Jake Long means we must draft a LT high, because gambling on Martin is beyond foolish. Even with tons of help Martin showed himself grossly overmatched last year. Long rarely had help and we constantly gave Martin help when he manned LT and Martin still got abused regularly.

I have high hopes for Martin, but his power is so overmatched that he has to over-anchor and gets beat like a drum against speed rushers he should be able to stop or slow down. The kid is in over his head at RT and while I expect significant improvement, he simply isn't going to be able to handle LT in 2013 IMHO.

We are hoping he can handle RT with help in 2013, but even that is hugely optimistic.

Start falling in love with Erik Fisher at 12 or Lane Johnson at 42, because there aren't many LT guys in this draft, and they will be at a premium. Draft in WR and DE and CB can bring value in this draft, but LT requires paying a high premium.

Long was great his first few years, and if the medical staff thinks he can get healthy, he is going to be by far our best option at LT. We don't want to be 2013's version of Arizona/Philly where the entire offense craters because their line implodes. Let's face it, Jerry is one of the worst starters in the NFL. Despite the Pro Bowl Incognito is only mediocre. Martin had a terrible rookie season despite lots of help. Without Long, we will only have 1 good OL, Pouncey. Hard to make chicken salad. N

The hate on Jake Long is so overboard. Just so you haters realize, not resigning Jake Long means we must draft a LT high, because gambling on Martin is beyond foolish. Even with tons of help Martin showed himself grossly overmatched last year. Long rarely had help and we constantly gave Martin help when he manned LT and Martin still got abused regularly.

I have high hopes for Martin, but his power is so overmatched that he has to over-anchor and gets beat like a drum against speed rushers he should be able to stop or slow down. The kid is in over his head at RT and while I expect significant improvement, he simply isn't going to be able to handle LT in 2013 IMHO.

We are hoping he can handle RT with help in 2013, but even that is hugely optimistic.

Start falling in love with Erik Fisher at 12 or Lane Johnson at 42, because there aren't many LT guys in this draft, and they will be at a premium. Draft in WR and DE and CB can bring value in this draft, but LT requires paying a high premium.

Long was great his first few years, and if the medical staff thinks he can get healthy, he is going to be by far our best option at LT. We don't want to be 2013's version of Arizona/Philly where the entire offense craters because their line implodes. Let's face it, Jerry is one of the worst starters in the NFL. Despite the Pro Bowl Incognito is only mediocre. Martin had a terrible rookie season despite lots of help. Without Long, we will only have 1 good OL, Pouncey. Hard to make chicken salad. N

say what you will about John Martin , yeah he needed help as a rookie,but there hasnt been many rookies that COULD PLAY LT there first year , but i do belive that Martin will be able to play LT for Miami , he did a fine job at stanford ,yeah i know its not the NFL but i belive he can play the LT side , and as for Big JAKE ,ONLY WAY he would be in miami next year is that we offer no more than 10.mil and that means we have an opt out clause ,what i would offer is 8.mil and and give him encinatives which could go up to 11.mil IF HE CAN STAY HEALTHY AND MEET ALL OF OUR STANDARDS ,with a clause that we can opted out of the contract any tme we want. but i really think John Martin can handle the LT poss , but as ive said not many rookies do come in and start from day one at LT , imo he will get stronger this offseason and will be ready to play full speed ahead next year.

Did any of you watch Martin play last year? If you did you would know he was over matched in every game, RT or LT. How could you possibly think he's ready to take over at LT?

Both Long and Cog were expected to do their job and do it by themselves as the other side needed help every play with Jerry and Martin over there. Early in the season they did OK but as wear and tear began to take it's toll The left side suffered and then Long was hurt yet again. I trust Ireland (go ahead, take my head off) to make the right call as far as Long is concerned. If he will sign a reasonable, maybe incentive laden, contract good... if not Seeya!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Big Jake go on a road trip, banging every Finheaven poster's mom or something? My god, it's like the guy has personally wronged everyone. Seriously, if we removed the name from some of these posts, I'd have a hard time deciding whether you were talking about Long or Mark Sanchez. Absolutely ridiculous...

Back
Top Bottom