Looking ahead 2021draft trading down | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking ahead 2021draft trading down

If they have a top pick, and Parsons is on the board, run the card up. Take one of the blue chips over another 2nd rounder and a mid/late pick

We'll need FA particularly for the Oline. Guys like Joe Thuney and David Andrews are going to be available. We can still draft an OG \ OT but have our 4 young guys with some more experience around them.

FA not always the best for RBs though as we've found out.

Surtain

Humphrey

Harris

I get that many Dolphins fans love Surtain and his connection to Dolphins through his dad (who was one of my all-time favs, along with Madison) but MIA is pretty set at CB right now.

The other 2 selections look good, though.

Switch Surtain out with a top tier play making prospect, and it’s golden!

Dude, CEH, Barclay, Elliot, Gurly, Cook, all 1st round RBs in recent years and all would significantly improve our running game. Any of last years top RB prospects like CEH, Dobbins, Swift or Taylor would be our #1 guy. We tried the vet route last off season, how's Howard and Brieda working out ?

I'm not sure how old your thinking is here but getting a young stud RB on a cheap rookie deal is absolutely the right way to go, just don't give them extensions.

I couldn’t agree with you more. IMO too many are buying into this “don’t draft a RB in the 1st round” narrative that’s become en vogue and repeated ad nauseam.

Having a RB on a rookie deal is ideal. Furthermore, veterans are typically only available via FA because the tread is severely lacking. Or the player is a character problem.

Now, it is always pointed out that RB’s can be found later in the draft. Which is true. But the same can be said about EVERY position. As long as there remains 7 rounds, gems will be found. Hell, gems are often found via UDFA.

But the guys with the most natural talent, the broadest skill sets are most likely to be found in the first couple rounds. Period.

I like the idea of drafting a top RB talent in the first or second round and riding them as far as their rookie contract allows then move on and draft another (should that player not look to be a rare bird that last longer than 4-5 years).

As a form of confirmation bias, naysayers like to point to highly drafted RB’s whose teams aren’t prospering. But guess what? You can do that with QB’s and every other position too.

Todd Gurley was the driving offensive force that led LAR to a SB appearance. Zeke Elliot helped make DAL a top level offense the past few seasons, until DAK went down. It ain’t his fault their defense has been so mediocre to terrible.

Alvin Kamara wasn’t a 1st round pick, but his talent suggests he should have been. Look how much he drives NOR offense. Same goes for Derrick Henry and Dalvin Cook. Those offense‘s success revolve around what they can do.

Saquon Barkley and Christian McCaffrey both went to awful teams. But nobody can convince me that talents like them wouldn’t make this MIA offense incredible. If you can get a talent like that, you do it!

Now, there doesn’t look to be a Saquon, Gurley, Zeke or McCaffrey level talent in this draft. Not a top 10 level guy, anyway. However talents like Najee Harris and Travis Etienne would add so much to MIA’s offensive attack and are worthy of late 1st or early 2nd round selections IMO.

Other RBs I like in later rounds

Kenneth Gainwell
Zamir White
Brian Robinson
Dalvin Cook’s little brother James Cook
Rodriguez from Kentucky

...unsure re our needs. Still a lot of ball to play and you've got to keep in mind
we're 100% dedicated to developing players. So I think some of the positional
answers are ALREADY on the team.

The more I watch this D -- can't help but imagine a dude like Parsons running
wild and free -- bulking up the run D and killing anything that moves. But that
kid from North Carolina (Chazz Surratt) might be the answer and available in R2.

Also -- adding a C like Creed is hard to argue -- improves your run game and pass pro.
That automatically adds efficiency for Tua.

WR and RB... Don't think RB R1 is in the mix -- based on basic program design and
the core question -- is Najee Harris really something "special" or just a good solid Pro
prospect? Right now the only other RB who looks R1 certified is Etienne. Very dynamic.
But is he powerful enough (i.e, durable) to be a workhorse?

Right now it looks like there are 4-5 WRs who have R1 type grades. And at least that many
with R2 grades. So there are a LOT of possibilities there. I just don't know how mission critical
Flo sees that position -- and if they will burn an R1 to address it.

I tend to think we will look for "value" there and use 50% of our R1-R2 stash on LOS.
LB - Edge - NT - OL have to be in the mix. Then you add the "skill" guys...

But I really don't have a clue where their focus is. Just speculating.
This is EXACTLY how i feel about Parsons and that MLB position. Man our defense would be on ANOTHER LEVEL with a GREAT MLB and with B.Jones and X.Howard back there. Am excited just thinking about that dream.

I HATE drafting a WR in the first! I cannot get away from drafting Parsons and Humphrey in the first round. This draft is deep at WR. Tua does not need to be surrounded by the talent he had at alabama. Parsons gets him back on the field and Humphrey adds stability and inside run push. My draft keeps looking like....
1A. Parsons
1B. Humphrey
2A. Najee Harris, Chris Olave, Rondale Moore
I would be very disappointed if this is how the draft went down....

I like the overload approach last year for the OL. Draft three wr in the high rounds. Odds are one or two will pan out.

Back
Top Bottom