Looking ahead 2021draft trading down | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking ahead 2021draft trading down

if we take another O lineman before RB/WR im gonna kill myself. This is an outdated old school approach. No more lineman in early rounds please.

if we take another O lineman before RB/WR im gonna kill myself. This is an outdated old school approach. No more lineman in early rounds please.
Disagree. There's a reason why Dallas's offense for instance fell off a cliff when they started losing lineman and their shiny top 10 RB can't do anything at all because of it.

I'll take a Quentin Nelson 10 out of 10 times over a RB.

Disagree. There's a reason why Dallas's offense for instance fell off a cliff when they started losing lineman and their shiny top 10 RB can't do anything at all because of it.

I'll take a Quentin Nelson 10 out of 10 times over a RB.
Fair enough but it feels like we are on a constant quest to have 5 first rounders on the O line
I also think Dallas’ offense falling off a cliff may have something to do with dak getting hurt and Ezekiel going on his little hiatus. He hasn’t been the same since. We just invested a lot in our line through early draft pics and FA. You have to address the skill positions and give TUA some weapons. Right now he has almost nothing

...unsure re our needs. Still a lot of ball to play and you've got to keep in mind
we're 100% dedicated to developing players. So I think some of the positional
answers are ALREADY on the team.

The more I watch this D -- can't help but imagine a dude like Parsons running
wild and free -- bulking up the run D and killing anything that moves. But that
kid from North Carolina (Chazz Surratt) might be the answer and available in R2.

Also -- adding a C like Creed is hard to argue -- improves your run game and pass pro.
That automatically adds efficiency for Tua.

WR and RB... Don't think RB R1 is in the mix -- based on basic program design and
the core question -- is Najee Harris really something "special" or just a good solid Pro
prospect? Right now the only other RB who looks R1 certified is Etienne. Very dynamic.
But is he powerful enough (i.e, durable) to be a workhorse?

Right now it looks like there are 4-5 WRs who have R1 type grades. And at least that many
with R2 grades. So there are a LOT of possibilities there. I just don't know how mission critical
Flo sees that position -- and if they will burn an R1 to address it.

I tend to think we will look for "value" there and use 50% of our R1-R2 stash on LOS.
LB - Edge - NT - OL have to be in the mix. Then you add the "skill" guys...

But I really don't have a clue where their focus is. Just speculating.

Drafting RBs early is the old school approach. When you have a good OL, finding an RB that works in your system becomes a lot easier.
I don't want a RB before mid-2nd unless he's a do-everything weapon who doubles as a WR, which Etienne has not shown to be. I'd be happy with Etienne, Javonte Williams, or Harris in the later 2nd if they are available. Otherwise, just trade a late pick for a guy like Kerryon Johnson, and/or use a day 3 pick at RB trying to find the next Aaron Jones, Chris Carson, or James Robinson.

Fair enough but it feels like we are on a constant quest to have 5 first rounders on the O line
I also think Dallas’ offense falling off a cliff may have something to do with dak getting hurt and Ezekiel going on his little hiatus. He hasn’t been the same since. We just invested a lot in our line through early draft pics and FA. You have to address the skill positions and give TUA some weapons. Right now he has almost nothing
It takes what it takes until it's done though. Would you agree that being able to protect the QB and run the ball is more important than having a WR? If so, if only the former has been "fixed", then you should be on board with fixing the latter before a WR.

There's no time where you're like, "Welp, we don't have what we explicitly need yet, but we've already spent too much on it so let's now prioritize something worse!"

It takes what it takes until it's done though. Would you agree that being able to protect the QB and run the ball is more important than having a WR? If so, if only the former has been "fixed", then you should be on board with fixing the latter before a WR.

There's no time where you're like, "Welp, we don't have what we explicitly need yet, but we've already spent too much on it so let's now prioritize something worse!"
I’m saying thay you don’t really know what you have until you get players to fill the positions you are trying to protect for. It’s like putting a car alarm on an old shitty car. Now we have our QB and have invested in at least 3/5 of the line. Bring in weapons. Just as a good QB can make the line look better , so can a great RB and a couple of WRs. If 2 of the 3 draft pics pan out , your in really good shape. I for one believe Jackson will be serviceable at best with the other two being wild cards

I would rank the needs this way:

RB(weakest position group on the team but Ahmed looked pretty good yesterday and Gaskin is solid)
LB(this defense would really flourish with a true talent like Parsons in this group)
WR(there are 4 strong WR candidates and the Fins should have a shot at some of them in R 1)
OT(build a strong OL and you can win with lesser RB talent)
DT(run stuffer)

But I would not be drafting them in that order.

I could live with a 1st round WR outside the top 10 and RB after Round 2.

Parsons with Houston's pick seems ideal to be, great player, great value, big need.

Go after WR with their own 1st rounder if the value is there or look to add one more OL to finish that group.

Round 2 would be BPA at positions of need with the flexibility of moving up or down if need be.

DT looks to be good value with the Fins 2nd rounder but obviously there is a long way to go before we know what the board will look like.

I would like to use FA and the Draft to add a starting OT, an explosive WR, a run stuffing DT and a true star at LB in Parsons if possible.

It's a great question. Personally, if Parsons and Sewell are off the table, I would consider trading down.

That said, obviously you've got to take into account where the top receivers will be drafted. In other words, don't get too cute and miss out on Smith, Chase or Waddle if you've got to have one of those guys.

I would also consider Surtain and might put Pitts in the same area as those top receivers.

Drafting RBs early is the old school approach. When you have a good OL, finding an RB that works in your system becomes a lot easier.
I don't want a RB before mid-2nd unless he's a do-everything weapon who doubles as a WR, which Etienne has not shown to be. I'd be happy with Etienne, Javonte Williams, or Harris in the later 2nd if they are available. Otherwise, just trade a late pick for a guy like Kerryon Johnson, and/or use a day 3 pick at RB trying to find the next Aaron Jones, Chris Carson, or James Robinson.
This. Herschel Walker. For you younger generation, remember Ricky? How far did the team go?

IF we were to go the WR route, what are your thoughts on Waddle's injury/abillity to return to explosiveness? I live in Alabama, so I see a lot of him. My goodness, when healthy he is electric.

IF we were to go the WR route, what are your thoughts on Waddle's injury/abillity to return to explosiveness? I live in Alabama, so I see a lot of him. My goodness, when healthy he is electric.
Another wr that can count on ten games a season. Exactly what we need.

My 2 cents:

Needs:
1. WR
2. RB
3. ILB
4. OT
5. Edge
6. OC

Explanation: Our offense is constipated. Without a WR who can take the top off, or a RB that forces the opposing LBs to take our run game seriously, our receivers get blanketed. We really can't sustain our winning pattern with defensive scores every week. We are asking too much of our young QB to produce when his receivers are covered and his RBs are marginal (at best). This MUST (and will) be addressed, as will our major hole at Mike Linebacker. These three positions are needs... right now. Immediate. Full stop.

The other listed needs can be addressed once the above three are handled. Our line is better, but I think we are coming around to the idea that Hunt will be a Guard (like most expected) and that Davis is a GREAT 6th man, but an average starter. Karras seems okay, but he'll be 28 next year and this is the one time in his career that he'll be able to cash in... to set his family up for life... and he should do that. I'm just not sure that I want us to be the one paying him. He's good... but is he 3 year/40 million good? I'd say no.

Draft Priorities:

1. Micah Parsons or Penei Sewell.
2. Trade Down
3. Edge
4. WR
5. RB
6. OT/OC

Why is this different than what I've said above? Position availability. Yes, we need weapons on offense... but I'm sorry, these positions are easier to find than difference makers at Mike and Tackle. Look at any draft from the last dozen years and you will PLAINLY see that WRs and RBs fall down the board, sometimes WAAAY down the board. Hell, there are UDFAs starting for a half dozen teams at RB. Yes, I'd like to get Etienne or Harris (wouldn't we all?) or grab Chase or Smith... but these are luxury picks I think, and I'm a tradesman, and a poker player. I think we can pass on these guys, and then... maybe get them anyway with 1b or 2a. It isn't like we don't have plenty of draft picks to sweeten a trade up deal.

This. Herschel Walker. For you younger generation, remember Ricky? How far did the team go?
Yeah, but we would not draft a RB to carry the team. We have a QB, and need to surround him with the best skill players for the superbowl run, and that includes a RB. For the Dolphins, drafting a great Rb in first round is not a reach. We need to get top notch skill players, and those are taken in the first round. And that includes running backs.

Back
Top Bottom