Looking ahead 2021draft trading down | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking ahead 2021draft trading down

I don't think posters are understanding what it means to trade out of a top 5 pick. Compensation has to be ridiculous. This grab a 2nd this year and maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year is utter non sense.

Finish the OL, first and foremost.

We need that center from Oklahoma more than we need any WR.

In a perfect world we can trade down from 5 to 12-14 and grab Humphrey and maybe an extra 2nd this year and 3rd next year.

There will be skill position options at 1B, 2A and 2B.

Anyone thinking that Houston 1st will be a WR needs to keep dreaming. Not gonna happen.
I hope you're right, but what if the players they covet are gone, and no one wants to trade? Do you grab a C with the 7th pick? Do you grab Chase?

Depends on who is in the board. If Miami has a chance to draft Sewell - OT, Parsons - LB, Chase - WR or Smith - WR, no trading down.

If Miami is in a position to get Lawrence or Shields, trade to the highest bidder.

I hope you're right, but what if the players they covet are gone, and no one wants to trade? Do you grab a C with the 7th pick? Do you grab Chase?
Joe i know thats not a real question from you. There is no way in hell do you take hump over chase at #7.
You're trying to bait lol :)

This team needs playmakers at the skill positions. They need to grab a WR and RB with one of their first four picks. I would go LB and maybe a C with their other two first four picks.

Dude, CEH, Barclay, Elliot, Gurly, Cook, all 1st round RBs in recent years and all would significantly improve our running game. Any of last years top RB prospects like CEH, Dobbins, Swift or Taylor would be our #1 guy. We tried the vet route last off season, how's Howard and Brieda working out ?

I'm not sure how old your thinking is here but getting a young stud RB on a cheap rookie deal is absolutely the right way to go, just don't give them extensions.
Of those 1st round backs you listed I think 1 team has a winning record?

We all know the team still has many holes left to fill. WR, LB, RB, CB just to name a few. Assuming we have 4 to 6 picks from Houston, and given 2021 is receiver rich, would you consider trade down Houston pick for an additional second round pick?
Let say swap our first round with a team for its mid first round and gain a mid round second. Then we will have a mid and late first, and three picks in second. We could potential fill three holes in one draft.
Given the draft success in last two seasons, I trust the front office will found high values in second round.
I don;t think there is much drop off from Chase, Waddle to Smith and Marshall.
Our CB group is one of the best in the NFL. Byron Jones, Xavien Howard, Nick Needham, & developmental first rounder IGGY from this last draft who I’m hoping will develop nicely for next year means it’s a solid group. We could potentially use another prospect at safety here, but I wouldn’t worry too much about another corner although if one fell to us that was great I could see them pulling the trigger.

I would say our greatest needs are:

1. Running Back
2. WR
3. Center (backup maybe one that could also play guard & competition for Karas, so depth & competition important here)
4. LB/DE someone who Would be good against the run & solid in coverage, someone with some versatility, but maybe with some explosiveness
5. Nose Tackle

Anything else is just depth and more competition. More weapons for Tua would be critical IMHO and ensuring we don’t have a hole at center in case Karas gets injured, the rest of the Oline positions have very good depth as you can see.

Then you can add one or two players to the front 7 to help improve pass rush and stop the run.

We have a pretty damn good team and foundation in place. Defense is one of the best in the league, although we do need to improve against the run. Offense is solid, just need a couple of more weapons for Tua in the running game and at receiver. A fast back who can catch passes out of the backfield, and explosive receiver who can stop people from double teaming Parker (Preston Williams can’t be relied upon, durability issues).

And if anything, the team should trade down in the early rounds and accumulate more picks, not trade up. We already have 5 picks in the top 3 rounds which can more than upgrade our roster with some more excellent prospects at key positions, and lets not forget good players can be found in rounds 4-7 too where we should have another 5 picks after the 3rd round (2 4ths, 2 6ths, and 1 7th) That‘s 10 picks in total right now and if we’ve learned anything in the draft, the more picks the better chance for success and for hitting on prospects, so don’t trade them away to trade up in the early rounds at least.

A RB with size is what I think is missing most. Miami has been winning with smaller more shifty types. What's lacking is the workhorse RB.

At WR, the Dolphins have a bunch of jump ball types. They need a WR or two, who can get open with consistency, players who create separation; and of course, are able to get behind a defense.

At LB what's missing is a more talented MLB. Someone who's versatile and can be more consistent in stopping the run. They don't have that at the moment. Finding one takes the defense to another level.

At DT/NT, Miami doesn't have a Vince Wolfork type. A guy who can consistently take up two or more blockers. The Dolphins need to find a true NT that keeps the LB's clean and helps the DE get one on one opportunities.

If there's a premier talent available at Houston's pick i'd rather them take him than trade 4 quarters for a dollar.

The only exception to this is if it's for a plunder of draft picks because someone is trying to move up to draft a QB.
Absolutely agree. Quality over quantity is starting to look like the better path. Especially when we already have two 1s and two 2s.

I want one of the top 2-3 WRs in the draft. It’s time for some offensive weaponry.

That’s a tough spot to be in, I’m not taking a center at 7 unless my grade is through the roof. I’m looking to get the center and add assets.

Very unlikely I’m even entertaining the thought of a WR at 7 though. Spectacular WR talents don’t impress me. There are enough WRs in the late first/second round area that I’m confident I will find the right guy who fits.

I believe we will see a bunch of teams desperate for a QB but not picking in the top 8 to grab one.

Vikings, Lions and Bears come to mind immediately. They are all very stagnant rosters.

Falcons, Panthers, Bucs need a future.

Raiders, Titans, Colts, if you’re not getting better, you’re getting worse. Where are any of those teams headed?

Trey Lance and Zach Wilson give us a shot of moving back. Someone needs to take a chance.

WRs don’t move the needle for me enough to take one in the top 10. Historically they don’t make a big enough difference in the post season. I’d rather block better. I’d rather having a running game. I’d certainly rather have more talent in my defensive front 7 than a WR.

WRs are too easy for fans to talk about. Just about everyone wants their team to draft a WR in the first round with the false expectation that said WR can just translate his physical talents to your improve your offense. Doesn’t happen that way in most cases.

I want Sewell more than anyone. I want Parsons if I have to take somebody. I want Humphrey if I’m stick in a bad spot in round one.

We can talk about Waddle, Smith or Moore with 1B.

If the Houston pick is at a spot where teams are drooling to take a QB, then you absolutely trade down. How far is the real question.

Quantity > quality in football.

With how steady this team is playing and how well coached we are, the early draft emphasis shouldn't be position-focused. It should be BPA. An opportunity for a team like ours to add a top 10 talent in the draft is a beautiful thing. We shouldn't be overly concerned about drafting the best WR or best RB available at the expense of drafting the best player. Drafting BPA in the first round is how you end up with a superstar. We can always use another one of those.

Ill never understand the obsession with "trading down" we definitely have several holes that need to be filled before we take the next step. With a top 5-7 pick your chances of filling a hole are certainly favorable. Trading down to accumulate picks sounds great, until its finally time to pick. You can still get great players at almost any point in the draft but why would you trade a near lock like;
LB-Parsons
RB-Etienne
WR-Chase or Smith

Needs in order:
Mike LB
Center
RB
WR
Run Stuffing DT
DE
CB
general oline/dline depth

I think at this point in our building process you just take the best available player on your board.

I hope we trade out one of those second rounders for a 1st next year or even the late 1 for future picks.

Hope we get Parsons with the Houston pick.

This draft is going to be a bigger crap shoot then usual with COVID restriction and rules for prospects.

Hope we get Parsons with the Houston pick....Yes please!

Back
Top Bottom