Looking at receivers in draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking at receivers in draft

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
From David Hyde's blog- I still think that Benn is logical::

2. On Mel Kiper's Big Board, two receivers crack the first round: Dez Bryant (spelling corrected), suspended from Oklahoma State, and Illinois' Arrelious Benn. Looks like Benn will be the top option here, as Bryant is expected to go the 10th pick.
Benn has the size (6-2, 220) that Dolphins want. Plus, they can get a good scouting reporter from Vontae Davis about him.
After that? Kiper's top five senior receivers are:
1. Mardy Gilyard (6-1, 180) of Cincinnati.
2. Brandon LaFell (6-3, 206) of LSU.
3. Jordan Shipley (6-1, 190) of Texas.
4. Dexter McCluster (5-8, 165) of Mississippi.
5. Erick Decker (6-2, 215) of Minnesota.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2009/11/_1_no_surprise_here.html

I want a receiver that is 6-5 runs a 4.3 and has the softest hands ever. I want him to be the most agressive reciever ever to line up in the NFL. :):):)
So please make it happen thanks :)
Chubbs

Yeah our receiver needs to squat at least 600 pounds raw and be 7 feet tall so he can power through people. I'm liking Benn or LaFell though.

I'd just like someone who can catch a damn ball! These players are getting paid millions to PLAY a game. It's ridiculous when your recievers can't catch a ball when they have 2 hands on it.

if we cant get McClain in the first round i want eather D. Bryant or A. Benn

Please stay away any Receivers from USC All busts Mike Williams, Johnny Morton,Curtis Conway,Rj Soward,even Keyshawn was average for a top draft pick.Jury is still out on Steve Smith.Also stay away from Florida Gator receivers as well Reidel Anthony, Jaquez Green,Chad Jackson,Travis Taylor,Jabar Gaffney,Reche Caldwell last Ike Hilliard was average Jury still out on Percy Harvin

Williams has looked decent to me. He plays smooth with good yac.

He's still from SC so buyer beware.
Their smaller receivers have been pretty decent. Look at Steve Smith from the Giants.

Benn is my favorite out of this class, but I also like Decker from Minnesota a lot. I also wouldn't mind going after Hernandez, the TE from Florida.

Brandon LaFell from LSU has what Parcells looks for in players, plus he is fast enough to stretch the field, something Dez Bryant can't do. LaFell runs great routes, sinks his hips well and has a powerful burst out of it to create seperation. He also can actually catch the ball, something the WRs are having trouble with. He's physical and a solid blocker.

This guy fits a Parcells type player to a T. Has been compared in ability to Boldin.

if we cant get McClain in the first round i want eather D. Bryant or A. Benn
Bryant can't stretch the field which is going to be a critical aspect of the WR they draft. Taking Ginn off the field means that his speed needs to be replaced. LaFell, though not as quick as Ginn, is faster then Bryant and can stretch the field.

Brandon LaFell from LSU has what Parcells looks for in players, plus he is fast enough to stretch the field, something Dez Bryant can't do. LaFell runs great routes, sinks his hips well and has a powerful burst out of it to create seperation. He also can actually catch the ball, something the WRs are having trouble with. He's physical and a solid blocker.

This guy fits a Parcells type player to a T. Has been compared in ability to Boldin.

I want to believe in Lafell and I hope that I end up doing so. He's referred to as a Bowe clone, but I haven't seen it. As I want Miami (if the situation warrants it) to draft a WR very early, I'm hoping that I'll be impressed with Lafell in the remainder of the season, the combine, and the Senior Bowl. What I'm particularly looking for is explosion- maybe I've just missed it when I've seen LSU play, but I haven't seen enough of it out of him yet.

Bryant can't stretch the field which is going to be a critical aspect of the WR they draft. Taking Ginn off the field means that his speed needs to be replaced. LaFell, though not as quick as Ginn, is faster then Bryant and can stretch the field.

I don't think you can take Lafell over Bryant. Bryant is a freaking monster. I was debating Benn/Bryant knowing all along that 2 numbers were at play here: 4.4 vs. 4.55. Same argument though- Rice, Irvin, Boldin. Not the fastest guys, but physical and explosive out of cuts? Jerry Ricwe- ran what, a 4.7? But I saw some practice film of him out of cuts- wow, seriously impressive. Bryant has pretty much everything you want except 4.4 speed- leaping ability, quickness, size, strength, hands. And the dude is by no means slow, he's just not a pure burner. Good luck covering him one on one. But he'll most likely be gone before we pick. Which brings me to- Benn. I hope that I'm underestimating Lafell- I want him to be a legitimate option for us in the 1st.

Back
Top Bottom