Mando Article: Philbin Free Agency on Table | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mando Article: Philbin Free Agency on Table

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/12/joe-philbin-free-agency-on-the-table.html

The article has a lot more than saying Joe is willing to get involved in FA. I always thought he would want to even though people around here saying he would not.

However, what is best about this article is I think Joe has it down on what the team needs to do to improve. I love that he is talking about turnover margin and simply finding more ways to score points.

While I worry about Jeff Ireland in the offseason, I trust Joe Philbin and his staff's assessment skills. I feel Joe has a very good "football compass".

BTW, I was killed on this site this past summer for simply saying that Joe is in fact very involved in personnel decisions. I was told it was ALL Jeff Ireland. Well, based on Joe's words himself from this presser it seems that Joe has a ton of input on all things regarding the roster. At the very leas, the Fins seem to be a consensus driven organization.

Don't think he will do much in free agency he has said before packers built through the draft not free agency. I think he is going the same route

Don't think he will do much in free agency he has said before packers built through the draft not free agency. I think he is going the same route

3 of the most legendary players in Packers history were picked up in free agency and in trade (Reggie White, Charles Woodson and Brett Favre (trade) ).

He has to get involved this year.

In what world are packers and dolphins in the same category, shouldn't even be said in the same sentence. Along with the fact that it's Ireland doing the drafting. I think her knows their is no way in hell this team goes on the next level with just hit or miss rookies that will take time to develop.

Love how pouncey speaks the truth on how 1) this team has 0 WR and 2 we had no talent as a whole.

Pouncey is a future leader of this team. He will be 10 to 15 year starter....I am predicting he will end up in the ring of honor. How is that for prediction?

Pouncey hit the nail right on the head. And good for him as an O-linmen understanding its his job to protect the QB on and off the field

In what world are packers and dolphins in the same category, shouldn't even be said in the same sentence. Along with the fact that it's Ireland doing the drafting. I think her knows their is no way in hell this team goes on the next level with just hit or miss rookies that will take time to develop.

No one is comparing the two. Reading comprehension? Philbin came from GB, he follows their blue print. While they do some business in FA, they primarly draft and develop. That is what builds LONG term success.

Also, you may think Philbin has no say in personel decisions, but many things have happened that prove other wise.

How's Tannehills confidence now days?

There is a false narrative in the Dolfan community that because coach Joe Philbin came from the Green Bay Packers, he wants the Dolphins run like the Green Bay Packers, particularly when it comes to building the team.

The idea is that because Green Bay rarely dips toes in free agency, with few exceptions, Philbin wants the same in Miami.

That is not true.

First sentences of the article. Did you even click it?

Also, you may think Philbin has no say in personel decisions, but many things have happened that prove other wise.

The Egnew pick is widely attributed to Philbin. While I think he has done a great job coaching a 3-4 win team to 7 wins with awful talent, the Egnew pick doesn't exactly breed confidence in his ability to judge talent.

I would say that Egnew and Miller seemed like Philbin picks to me.. expect a lot of input from coach p

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Egnew is a developmental player, not every player comes into the league and starts right away... I think the jury is still out on him..

Nope. As bad as free agency was this year, we still used it. Philbin's statement pretty much dispells this notion now. I was hopeful he would be, but you always wonder abuot the statements prior. Nothing is set in stone for anyone in this league.

I do think they will offer players a contract they feel they are worth. The agent will croak, walk away, twitter something bad about miami management, finheaven will overreact to it as always, and then what you will find is these guys go to other teams willing to overpay for same result.

Philbin and co. will probly offer Wallace or Jennings something there agents dont like either and guess what? someone will overpay for them. The players who actually look at there future through success and not money will more likely end up on this team. This team is set up for the future accounting wise. Philbin will not pay top dollar. Matt Flynn example. Wonder what Alex smith is thinking now.

The Egnew pick is widely attributed to Philbin. While I think he has done a great job coaching a 3-4 win team to 7 wins with awful talent, the Egnew pick doesn't exactly breed confidence in his ability to judge talent.

Every pick Philbin had say in, IMO. As for your thoughts on MiA being a 3-4 win team. Thats silly. I along with a few others called MIA a 7-9/9-7 team.

But your OPINION that just because a 3rd round pick hasn't panned out so far isnt breeding confidence for you, well keep being disappointed. Because talent here and there need to develop. Sadly, you have to goto a 3rd pick to make a point. WHere as I point to Tannehill....if you don't think Philbin had some say, your crazy.

Back
Top Bottom