Matt Barkley 6 TD clinic against UCLA | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Barkley 6 TD clinic against UCLA

LoneyROY7

Active Roster
Reaction score
Check out every Matt Barkley pass in the 50-0 romp against UCLA.

[video=youtube;yn8hqpPL_SA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn8hqpPL_SA[/video]

Hopefully that crimson uniform becomes aqua next season. :)

He and Luck: 1A and 1B (even Oliver proclaims Barkley every bit the QB his son is) and the line separating them is getting hazier.

I believe Barkley could open up our passing game almost immediately. His vertical passing game IMO is unmatched by any other QB in this class (yes, including Luck).

He throws a fantastic deep ball, and anyone questioning his arm strength...he throws the ball for behind his own 40 into the endzone at 5:45 in the UCLA clip. He's got an excellent arm.

Yea there's a very very small drop off from Luck to Barkley. Like so small I doubt it will even be noticeable. It's like taking Brady in his prime or Rodgers now (I'm not comparing Brady and Rodgers to Luck and Barkley or even remotely suggesting that either of these two will be able to make us contenders right off the bat). Either way these guys have some serious potential to be great in the NFL.

Honestly don't see what staying another year will do for him.. his stock is as high as it can get now. Only problem is Luck's is higher. But going back another year might be dangerous for his draft positioning. He needs to take a good look at Jake Locker's situation and see if he wants that to happen to him.

Honestly don't see what staying another year will do for him.. his stock is as high as it can get now. Only problem is Luck's is higher. But going back another year might be dangerous for his draft positioning. He needs to take a good look at Jake Locker's situation and see if he wants that to happen to him.

Here's the reasons (I believe) he most likely will go back to school:

1) NCAA sanctions against USC will be lifted next year, which will allow them to qualify for BCS bowl games. Allowing him to go back to school with the guys he's been with since being a freshman, and win a bowl game or possible national championship.

1a) People don't realize that Barkley is deeply religious, ala Tim Tebow, he's just not as outspoken about it. With that said, he's also said to be deeply loyal, so point 1 becomes a bit more valuable.

2) As far as injury, he will most likely do what Luck did for his senior year (this year); Take out an insurance policy to cover him against any debilitating injury that ruins his draft stock.

3) He'll be the uncontested #1 pick next year, as he won't be towered by the shadow of Andrew Luck.

I would love for us to end up with Barkley, but I'm convinced this kid is going back to school. Hope I'm wrong.

It really depends on who gets that number 2/3 pick though, whereas if he stays a 1, he will be a sure 1. Too many garbage teams already have their QB imo. Vikings-Ponder, Panthers-Newton, Rams-Bradford. Then we have to try and still finish behind KC and Washington as well just to get Barkley for ourselves.

Here's the reasons (I believe) he most likely will go back to school:

1) NCAA sanctions against USC will be lifted next year, which will allow them to qualify for BCS bowl games. Allowing him to go back to school with the guys he's been with since being a freshman, and win a bowl game or possible national championship.

1a) People don't realize that Barkley is deeply religious, ala Tim Tebow, he's just not as outspoken about it. With that said, he's also said to be deeply loyal, so point 1 becomes a bit more valuable.

2) As far as injury, he will most likely do what Luck did for his senior year (this year); Take out an insurance policy to cover him against any debilitating injury that ruins his draft stock.

3) He'll be the uncontested #1 pick next year, as he won't be towered by the shadow of Andrew Luck.

I would love for us to end up with Barkley, but I'm convinced this kid is going back to school. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree with all this but item #3. That would be something he would need to ask an alum named Matt Leinart about.

IF Leinart came out after he won the Heisman, he would, without ANY doubt, have been the #1 player picked. We all know how history played out, and that single year cost him MILLIONS of dollars.

I think another thing to realize from that video is that Barkley did what he did behind a very suspect USC line. He almost got his clock cleaned a couple of times because some o-linemen couldn't block the guy in front of him...

I believe Barkley could open up our passing game almost immediately. His vertical passing game IMO is unmatched by any other QB in this class (yes, including Luck).

He throws a fantastic deep ball, and anyone questioning his arm strength...he throws the ball for behind his own 40 into the endzone at 5:45 in the UCLA clip. He's got an excellent arm.

He threw the ball 60 yards- that doesn't prove a whole lot. Barkley has his good traits, but his arm simply is not of the caliber of Luck or Weeden.

I think that a QB that functionally and regularly throws the ball with control and accuracy at about 55 to 60 yards does indeed have enough arm to do damage at the next level.

Some people bring up the distances he regularly passes the ball, but it's a relatively pro breakdown. Take this UCLA game for instance. According to my tracking about 29 of the 43 throws featured in that video above (67.4%) were less than 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Well, on the season, about 66.5% of Drew Brees' passes have gone less than 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and in the past I know that percentage for he and other NFL quarterbacks has been over 70 percent.

According to my figures, about 1 in 5 of Barkley's passes over the long term (more in this UCLA game but over the longer term it's about 1 in 5) end up screens, which are passes at or behind the line of scrimmage. Drew Brees throws about 1 in 6 passes at or behind the line of scrimmage.

He threw the ball 60 yards- that doesn't prove a whole lot. Barkley has his good traits, but his arm simply is not of the caliber of Luck or Weeden.

I would say his arm is the same as Luck. He makes some pretty long throws off balance or without proper footwork as well.

He's got the arm.

Back
Top Bottom