Matt Burke is way over his head and has to go! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Burke is way over his head and has to go!

Burke and Joseph were Cincinnati Bengal garbage. STOP BRINGING FORMER BENGAL GARBAGE IN!!!

You forgot about Coyle. What are the odds that 3 consecutive DCs all came to Miami from the same team, and they all suck? Coyle was given a decent defense (with a Top 5 Rushing Defense), and he and Philbin completely neutered it. The first mistake was doing away with the 3-4. The next mistake was Philbin and Ireland replacing somewhat talented players with below-average players. Next, Gase hires Joseph, who runs a defense just as bad as Coyle's. And, to add insult to injury, Gase promotes Burke so that he can continue to run Joseph's defense. Yes, there are slight differences in the defensive schemes/strategies of these 3 DCs, but the overall results are shockingly similar... and pathetic! IMO, the entire problem of their defense (and the offense for that matter) is that they want finesse, when tough, hard-hitting, physically dominating old-school football (with a good passing game, of course) would be more successful. Football is a tough, hard-hitting, physical sport, isn't it?

I don't think that there has ever been a defense that has allowed so many 1st down conversions on 3rd and long as Miami has under Coyle, Joseph, and Burke. If the opponent was facing a 3rd and 21, it was a foregone conclusion that the RB would be able to run for 22 yards. 3rd and 15? A WR or TE would be wide open for a 17 yard pass. (With Miami's offense under Philbin and Gase, 3rd and 15 meant throwing a 3 yard pass... that's 3 yards beyond or behind the line of scrimmage!) How many times must we watch opponents march right down the field because Miami's DC has his CBs playing 10 yards off the WRs? I think that Gase and his staff have proven themselves to be even more inept than Philbin and his staff.

You forgot about Coyle. What are the odds that 3 consecutive DCs all came to Miami from the same team, and they all suck? Coyle was given a decent defense (with a Top 5 Rushing Defense), and he and Philbin completely neutered it. The first mistake was doing away with the 3-4. The next mistake was Philbin and Ireland replacing somewhat talented players with below-average players. Next, Gase hires Joseph, who runs a defense just as bad as Coyle's. And, to add insult to injury, Gase promotes Burke so that he can continue to run Joseph's defense. Yes, there are slight differences in the defensive schemes/strategies of these 3 DCs, but the overall results are shockingly similar... and pathetic! IMO, the entire problem of their defense (and the offense for that matter) is that they want finesse, when tough, hard-hitting, physically dominating old-school football (with a good passing game, of course) would be more successful. Football is a tough, hard-hitting, physical sport, isn't it?

I don't think that there has ever been a defense that has allowed so many 1st down conversions on 3rd and long as Miami has under Coyle, Joseph, and Burke. If the opponent was facing a 3rd and 21, it was a foregone conclusion that the RB would be able to run for 22 yards. 3rd and 15? A WR or TE would be wide open for a 17 yard pass. (With Miami's offense under Philbin and Gase, 3rd and 15 meant throwing a 3 yard pass... that's 3 yards beyond or behind the line of scrimmage!) How many times must we watch opponents march right down the field because Miami's DC has his CBs playing 10 yards off the WRs? I think that Gase and his staff have proven themselves to be even more inept than Philbin and his staff.

Sadly as of late you're right. The Philbin teams had a knack for losing games at the end but never really took multiple ass kickings like this team is. How can we be unprepared to stop the read option vs the Panthers? We ran it ourselves just last year so the players must have seen it before. it's mind boggling how bad our defense was last night. It was 2007 esque when you knew they had no shot at making any stops. That defense truly had zippo for talent though, this one has more.

This problem is SO MUCH bigger than Burke. We have a scheme that is too easy to neutralize and the players we have locked in were retained to play that scheme. Wide 9 has to go. I don't care how much Suh likes it, it's getting gashed. Admit the failure and move on.

Vance Joseph was way better then Burke and that's not saying much. Joseph was garbage
Funny you mention Joseph. One of the beat writers mentioned how Burke and Joseph run similar scheme's and how Denver is struggling mightily right now on defense...and that was an elite defense until Joseph got there so we know it's not the players in Denver.

And I disagree about Burke being worse. The defense had improved in some areas, although last night they sucked at everything, under Burke. Joseph is trash.

What happened to all this talk about playing an aggressive defense with the cornerbacks playing press coverage? That's I heard about for the last two years and they rarely play that coverage. Instead they play soft zone coverage that doesn't fit the cornerbacks strengths.

It's one thing not to be able to score it's another not to be able to stop the opponent from marching up and down the field at will. Matt Burke would rather be hiking up mountains with his billy goat beard or something because he certainly doesn't have the answers to the defensive woes that we are suffering from.

The problem that Matt Burke has, much like Vance Jospeh last year, is that he is not really working with a great group of players. I could sort of understand the criticism of him if he was failing with a group of players like the Denver Broncos. Their defense has given up over 90 points the past two weeks and they have a talented group of players. I mean, their vaunted secondary with Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Bradley Roby and co have really struggled in recent weeks. So I can understand why Broncos fans are frustrated with Vance Joseph and his staff for not being able to get more out of their defense. However, what does Matt Burke have to work with here?

Our D-Line is good but the same can't be said for our starting linebackers and secondary (minus Reshad Jones). Both of those groups are fairly lacklustre and it is no wonder we have problems on the defensive side. Realistically this team needs to go into the off season and upgrade every starting line backer and possibly even replace both of our corners because Howard and Tankersley are just not up to scratch. Perhaps I'm going over the top. Perhaps the problem is Matt Burke, but personally I don't think he is working with a vastly talented group of individuals and that is why we are having struggles this season.

Why last night was bad, I do think the defense has improved over last year, remember we lost our starting mlb and lippett, will also say even the best dc in football did not start out that way, they got that way by improving each year as a dc , not saying he will be a great dc, can we at least wait and see if he makes adjustments in the offseason, the way any good dc would

I think the defense has given up and the source of that problem is greater than Burke. This is not a unilateral defense of Burke by any means.

Back
Top Bottom