Matt Ryan is not elite? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan is not elite?

LOL'd when I heard that earlier today. But c'mon, even if the guy making that pronouncement does happen to be not only one of his most reliable receivers but also the league's GOAT TE, who can really say he knows what he's talking about?? :idk:

Vaarks been saying that for years . Could be he's right.

Although Gonzalez doesn't think Ryan is elite, he did tell the Falcons official website that Ryan is "better than any other quarterback I've ever played with." That's kind of a back-handed compliment though when you consider Gonzalez has played with Elvis Grbac, Trent Green and Damon Huard.

He's not elite but he's in that next group. if you took him in '08 you may not have many playoff wins but you'd have a few playoff apps.

This won't sit well with some members of the West Virginia community I can tell you that! :chuckle:

Tony Gonzalez is a gentleman and when he talks everyone pipes down and listens -> except for some FH faithfull who have such little respect for the game as it is - Tony knows what he is talking about, he saw the "Ice" melt enough times to know what the members have been telling Matty Faithful for years, Matty was and is propped up by good offensive players take them away because of injury and and well you saw this year what he can do ->

ATL is also plagued by it's own one dimensional GM who isn't as concerned with the D as he is with his O. Now he has a few O stars who have either retitred or like in the case of RB Jackson already played their best football -> they can't fix everything in one fell swoop either and the Division is WAY AHEAD of ATL..., including TB

here's the thing, Tony is retired, so this isn't some sour grapes thing, maybe he's bitter about being on a team that had no shot at the playoffs last year, but that isn't ryan's fault. So this is tony being genuine about his thoughts.

Let's first talk about what makes a QB "Elite" shall we............1) They have won multiple Super Bowls, more than 2 or 2) they redefined their position ahead of anything anyone else at the time was doing. Of course a combination of the two puts them into the debate for all time greatest QB which isn't black and white even today, debating the all time greatest QB is as gray as gray can be.

So "elite" QBs in no particular order (and yes I know some of thses guys have one Super Bowl):

1) Brady
2) Manning
3) Elway
4) Montana
5) Marino
6) Bradsaw
7) Y.A Tittle
8) Favre
9) Brees
10)Rogers
11)Jonny U
12) Young

and the list is bigger than just this if you are listing true "elite" QBs. The question then becomes what has Matt Ryan done even remotely close to climb onto the list with the guys listed about or even a guy like E.Manning who has won two Bowls in his day but isn't half the QB as the 12 listed above? So if you are going to set the bar for "elite" it has to be much much higher than what Matt Ryan has accomplished.

The funny thing is people act like that's some knock on Ryan.
His exact words with context.
In an interview with ESPN the Magazine, Gonzalez had this to say about his quarterback of the past five seasons, "Matt's an excellent quarterback, but he's not elite," Gonzalez said as he almost pinched together his thumb and index finger. "He's this close. He'll get there, but he has some learning to do."

So the greatest Te of all time says he will be elite so then that will be true lol.
Joe Flacco isn't elite either nor is Eli Manning.
Who is elite? Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, AAron Rodgers and that's about it.
I have no issue with not putting Ryan ahead of any of those players.
People are really stretching to try to make this a knock

He's not elite but he's in that next group. if you took him in '08 you may not have many playoff wins but you'd have a few playoff apps.

Better than any QB the Jets have had in the last 50 years.

The funny thing is people act like that's some knock on Ryan.
His exact words with context.
In an interview with ESPN the Magazine, Gonzalez had this to say about his quarterback of the past five seasons, "Matt's an excellent quarterback, but he's not elite," Gonzalez said as he almost pinched together his thumb and index finger. "He's this close. He'll get there, but he has some learning to do."

So the greatest Te of all time says he will be elite so then that will be true lol.
Joe Flacco isn't elite either nor is Eli Manning.
Who is elite? Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, AAron Rodgers and that's about it.
I have no issue with not putting Ryan ahead of any of those players.
People are really stretching to try to make this a knock

Ummm everyone understands he is not "elite" -> he hasn't done anything :rolleyes2: To suggest "elitism"

Ummm everyone understands he is not "elite" -> he hasn't done anything :rolleyes2: To suggest "elitism"

Its just funny how some people want to use Gonzo comments to somehow slam Ryan lol. Gonzalez said he is barely not elite. He still is an excellent qb in the words od Gonzo and he says he will becom elite. There are definitely not 10 qbs I would take over Ryan and once again people forget football is a team sport. Peyton Manning is an elite qb and just couldn't will himself to a super bowl win

i'd say he's somewhere in the top 12...and a franchise worthy guy...i couldn't get down with any top 5 stuff though...i'd take him over a lot of guys that's for sure

Back
Top Bottom