McMicheal wants new contract | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McMicheal wants new contract

Randy's gotta learn to hold onto the ball in critical situations, once he does that, i'd give him more money........

McMichael is #4 on the priority list for extensions(or new deal, see Wale) right now.

1) Ogunleye - still not signed
2) Chambers - free agent next year
3) Surtain - Top 3 at his position, 2yrs left
4) McMichael - inconsistent, 2yrs left

I wouldn't even THINK of extending McMichael's contract until next summer. He isn't a top 5 TE yet, so he shouldn't be speaking out for money.

I do not see RM getting an extension during the season. Not that he does not deserve it. But like it was mentioned before he is third in line for a contract extension maybe 4th! What are the odds that we give four extensions in one year? Can we afford that? I doubt it.

I'd say he's a top 5 TE. But he's hovering at that 4, 5 spot. Aside from Shockey, Tony Gonzalez, and maybe Alge Crumpler, I don't see anyone else right now with more potential then McMichael. Let's see this year what he does, then I think the talks will open up.

"Yeah, I'm still one of the lowest-paid tight ends. I want my money, but I'm not going to let it consume me. I'm going to go out and let everything take care of itself. I do know one thing, this is going to be my over-the-hump year. This will be a big one for me."

IMO, if I'm reading between the lines correctly, he's saying, "I'm not going to push for anything this year but, next year my price may be a good bit higher."

Shouldn't forget that one of a TE's biggest and most important responsibilities is blocking...it's not glamorous and it doesn't get fan attention like catching passes, but it's maybe an even more crucial part of the package. If Randy wants to get paid, he's got to pick up his work on the fundamentals, and right now he's just an average blocker

McMichael still has two years left on his deal. He may want a new deal, but that doesn't mean that he will get it.

I think Randy is a better blocker than people give him credit for. I think thta is a stigma that is locked on him.

As far as top five TE's go, it is iffy with him. Heap, Shockey, Gonzalez and Crumpler are ahead of him. I know I am forgetting a couple but there are a few others I would put in front of him as well.

:confused: I wonder why is he crying for attention, he has something like 2 years left on his contract.

Does he maybe, feel left out of the media mainstream? :confused:

BTW, I think it is kind of funny to put this in perspective, Ogun was saying the same thing over the last two seasons, now he is trying to get paid and everyone says trade him...why do we all love McMichael? This situation could easily dissolve into an Ogun-type morass in the following few seasons, especially if Randy continues to believe his own press clippings.
I like Randy, think he's a talented guy and a great part of the team, but we have to take care of Ogun and Chambers first

Finfan80 said:
BTW, I think it is kind of funny to put this in perspective, Ogun was saying the same thing over the last two seasons, now he is trying to get paid and everyone says trade him...why do we all love McMichael? This situation could easily dissolve into an Ogun-type morass in the following few seasons, especially if Randy continues to believe his own press clippings.
I like Randy, think he's a talented guy and a great part of the team, but we have to take care of Ogun and Chambers first

Easy you are talking about paying 1 TE big $, not 2 TE's big $. We can't afford to pay O-Gun what he's asking because that would mean we'd lose either McMichael or Chambers after this season. If McM was the 2nd TE I could see your point, because O-Gun is the 2nd DE not the 1st DE.

Oliver...

Yeah, but if we're looking at Randy's receiving skills -most are -then he isn't our second receiver, he's our third receiver, behind CC and D-Bo? Why pay major dollars for a third receiver, especially when down the bench you have a guy who is a better blocker and still a decent receiver?

Hi all, I found this information at NFL.COM.

Seems like Randy has some competition, even though some of us might not believe it. Randy IMHO, has shown all that he has to give, good route runner and pass catcher, and a very poor run blocker. We need a good run-blocking TE for our offense not a marginal one...

Enter Donald Lee and decent pass catcher and a good run-blocker, and IMO, I see Randy's years numbered. I see DL being the Dolphin's # 1 TE in a few years and RMM as the # 2, if he decides to stay. DL seems more suited for this style of offense than RMM...

Here is some Analysis from both of their draft porfiles:

Donald Lee

Positives: Has excellent quickness off the snap, showing good body control in and out of his breaks … Does not step away from blocking assignments … Fluid in his release off the line, knowing how to slip past the jam to get up field … Has the acceleration needed to stretch the coverage and does a good job of exposing defenders with his hip swerve and lateral agility … Is especially effective on option routes … Has enough separation speed to isolate linebackers and defensive backs … Makes proper body adjustments tracking the ball in … Can drive block, reach and down block with consistency, despite his fragile-looking frame.

Negatives: Weight room figures do not always translate to the football field … Needs further muscle development, especially in the lower frame … Has a reading disability that could cause problems digesting a complicated play book … Does not appear to have natural hands, as he tends to trap the ball … May be better suited for H-back, due to his less than ideal frame structure … Good blocker, but sometimes puts his face mask down, missing his intended target.

Randy McMichael

Positives: Lanky receiver with long arms and legs … Fluid open-field runner with impressive body control … Competes for the ball in traffic, using his long arms to easily extend for the ball … Shows sharp, sudden moves coming out of his stance and is very quick to escape the jam … Uses his hands properly to push off and separate from the linebackers in the short area … Has the flexibility to smoothly turn on the ball and make adjustments to get to the off-target tosses … Maintains balance in the open and has the leg drive to break tackles … Natural receiver who has the hand-eye coordination to keep track of the ball … Very assertive going for the pass in tight quarters.

Negatives: Must show more dedication in the weight room to add much needed bulk to his frame … Marginal blocker at best, frequently ending up on the ground as he overextends and lunges coming off the ball … Lacks the intensity to consistently stay with the defender and is almost passive in his feeble initial hits on linebackers upfield when pretending to offer run support.

Back
Top Bottom