McShay's Mock for our 1a selection | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McShay's Mock for our 1a selection

Speaking of 40 times, who is the fastest guy this year? Is it Ruggs? Anyone going to challenge Ross' 4.22 and skyrocket up boards?

i think the winner of the 40 time goes to the black cat who interrupted the Giants game a few weeks back

That tenth keeps a guy for getting the angle, or getting the corner. It matters big time which i believe is your point. QBs are not known for running vision or anticipation its more about just covering the ground so timed speed should mean more than people think.

I would be concerned drafting any QB who wont slide at first sight of heavy contact

Not only does that 10th of a second matter - these give and take the shot QBs who think they are Linemen In disguise are real worrisome to me - I don’t see the elusiveness at the next level and at 220 this is not a frightening scene for any defender

Just because a Qb can push a pile in college or can run for first downs at will in college means jack in the NFL

We see it year after year and for the particularly heavy set running QBs they wear down over the years - of course the much smaller Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray look quick but give it a few years -

Therefore if drafting a a QB so early there should be no concerns about a QBs arm -

Can I QB make all the throws because D coordinators are going to wreak havoc with schemes on QBs who are limited with their arm and who like to run and aren’t as athletic as they think

I would be concerned drafting any QB who wont slide at first sight of heavy contact

Not only does that 10th of a second matter - these give and take the shot QBs who think they are Linemen In disguise are real worrisome to me - I don’t see the elusiveness at the next level and at 220 this is not a frightening scene for any defender

Just because a Qb can push a pile in college or can run for first downs at will in college means jack in the NFL

We see it year after year and for the particularly heavy set running QBs they wear down over the years - of course the much smaller Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray look quick but give it a few years -

Therefore if drafting a a QB so early there should be no concerns about a QBs arm -

Can I QB make all the throws because D coordinators are going to wreak havoc with schemes on QBs who are limited with their arm and who like to run and aren’t as athletic as they think

I would add processing speed along with arm, as you put so well that coordinators in the NFL will scheme you to death. Their literal job is to spend all week prior planning on how to keep you from your strengths. You have to be able to make changes with what you see as the play clock is shrinking and once it gets rolling the inevitable things you read incorrectly or a missed assignments will occur and you have to make it work, even it if means throwing the ball away.

Not going to speak on Burrow as I dont see myself having a grasp on his ability or admittedly being a bit bias on him as a one year flash, not to say he wont find success but has he really gone from a 2nd/3rd rounder to best QB in the class? He has certainly mastered the offense but he is also older and has more time to prep than the average college student with his post graduate work. That prep gap goes away entirely in the NFL. He has had the same O Coordinator both years and really took off at the end of last year and of course this year. So once he got a hold of it he did thrive, I have not looked into much of his tape but so cant speak to his level of pre-snap ability.

Tua does seem to grasp the offense well and does so quickly having had 2 or 3 offensive coordinators in 3 years and being elite each year even with limited time as a freshman. His processing speed has always stood out, and he is so decisive. Along with the fact he has the best quality of all; poor plays dont effect him at all. He doesnt get all flustered and try to do to much post bad decision/play..just look at 2nd and 26 (hurts just to say) makes a bad decision next play makes a perfect strike to walk off as national champ (guy was open because he used his eyes and shoulders to fake the safety) . He does try to make the big play a bit too often when the play has broken down but he is a competitor and that can be tamed by a coaching staff.

Both Burrow and Tua seem very coachable and team first guys, but personally see the staff wanting a cerebral guy who holds people accountable and grasps the offense and stays within its boundaries as the mold. Who fits that best? I dont know you can argue a number of guys in this draft alone.

Last edited:
I think Tua, Burrow and Herbert all have qualities worth drafting them in the high round, but I am concerned about all 3 of them healthwise in the NFL. Especially behind our current awful OL. Tua and Burrow are both smallish, and Herbert takes unnecessary shots. Drafting one of these guys needs to come with value, or we'll suffer on Defense or OL again next season.

Last edited:
I think Tua, Burrow and Herbert all have qualities worth drafting them in the high round, but I am concerned about all 3 of them healthwise in the NFL. Especially behind our current awful OL. Tua and burrow are both smallish, and Herbert takes unnecessary shots. Drafting one of these guys needs to come with value, or we'll suffer on Defense or OL again next season.
Burrow is 6’4, he could put on a little weight, I think he’s like 214lbs. But he’s not that small, not height wise. Burrow seems to be pretty durable when he runs out of the pocket and takes some hits.

People kill me the standard line “wait until Jackson, Murray, etc... get hurt” Who cares? They bring excitement NOW! Jackson is MVP and taken his team to back to back playoffs. Murray brings hope. We have the longest streak of not having a Pro Bowl QB in the NFL. I would kill to have Jackson and yes he would still be good, even here.

Anyone going to challenge Ross' 4.22 and skyrocket up boards?

I have no idea but John Ross needs to be an example in other areas. In today's game he stood out as a guy who forfeited the vital 3-5% time and again, instead of seizing it. James Lofton was oft frustrated by Ross in that regard. If Lofton weren't such a nice guy he would have been more forceful in his criticism of Ross, who left plays out on the field all day.

I mention this because the play by play guy quoted Flores as saying he looks for character first. That is admirable. The Dolphins have spent too many decades pretending it doesn't matter. But the character emphasis needs to be blended with field smarts. For example, on Cincinnati's first possession of overtime Ross caught a 3rd down pass over the middle. The first down was right there. All he had to do was lunge to the ground to his left. Drive alive and Dolphins still shellshocked at what happened late 4th quarter. Instead, Ross had no clue whatsoever. He stupidly tried to cut outside and dodge a tackle. Stopped a full yard short. Tyler Eifert nearby threw up his hands in frustrated disbelief.

2019 is mostly about the draft but I've been looking for signs of situational smarts all season. It is inconceivable that a Patriots player would ever play giveaway like Ross did today. That defensive tackle plucked from the Ravens seems like a find. That is smart philosphy to begin with -- the + 3-5% mindset -- to examine Baltimore castoffs at a position like that. John Harbaugh and the Ravens aren't going to bring creampuff defensive tackles into their camp.

Maybe the Bengals should be penalized the first round pick for not attempting one aggressive offensive play in overtime.

* Regarding falling to the ground, Tua is kind of frustrating since he is not overly special enough to elude defenders in the open field, but not clumsy enough to believe he needs to quickly collapse into a little ball. I still say the guy who is risking things going forward is Trevor Lawrence, who is not only defiant with his body but increasingly so.

Let’s see what our medical staff says and if they clear him let’s pick someone else and move on.If they say give to a hard pass then by all means pick him 1a

I have no idea but John Ross needs to be an example in other areas. In today's game he stood out as a guy who forfeited the vital 3-5% time and again, instead of seizing it. James Lofton was oft frustrated by Ross in that regard. If Lofton weren't such a nice guy he would have been more forceful in his criticism of Ross, who left plays out on the field all day.

I mention this because the play by play guy quoted Flores as saying he looks for character first. That is admirable. The Dolphins have spent too many decades pretending it doesn't matter. But the character emphasis needs to be blended with field smarts. For example, on Cincinnati's first possession of overtime Ross caught a 3rd down pass over the middle. The first down was right there. All he had to do was lunge to the ground to his left. Drive alive and Dolphins still shellshocked at what happened late 4th quarter. Instead, Ross had no clue whatsoever. He stupidly tried to cut outside and dodge a tackle. Stopped a full yard short. Tyler Eifert nearby threw up his hands in frustrated disbelief.

2019 is mostly about the draft but I've been looking for signs of situational smarts all season. It is inconceivable that a Patriots player would ever play giveaway like Ross did today. That defensive tackle plucked from the Ravens seems like a find. That is smart philosphy to begin with -- the + 3-5% mindset -- to examine Baltimore castoffs at a position like that. John Harbaugh and the Ravens aren't going to bring creampuff defensive tackles into their camp.

Maybe the Bengals should be penalized the first round pick for not attempting one aggressive offensive play in overtime.

* Regarding falling to the ground, Tua is kind of frustrating since he is not overly special enough to elude defenders in the open field, but not clumsy enough to believe he needs to quickly collapse into a little ball. I still say the guy who is risking things going forward is Trevor Lawrence, who is not only defiant with his body but increasingly so.

Robert Foster was another speed guy that used to drive me crazy at Alabama by doing exactly what you just described Ross doing. Most notably against Auburn in 2017.

Completely agree with you also regarding Trevor - I see him take some of the strangest looking hits where his long lanky body gets contorted into some wicked positions and you wonder if he’s going to get to his feet afterwards. He always does. But one of these days he won’t.

People kill me the standard line “wait until Jackson, Murray, etc... get hurt” Who cares? They bring excitement NOW! Jackson is MVP and taken his team to back to back playoffs. Murray brings hope. We have the longest streak of not having a Pro Bowl QB in the NFL. I would kill to have Jackson and yes he would still be good, even here.

If you want to treat the QB position like the RB position then fine. I'd rather have a guy here for 10-15 years.

McShay has Herbert as his #2 QB !

1. Burrow
2. Herbert
3. Tua
4. Fromm
5. Eason
6. Love

From what I remember when they talked about it during Love's bowl game. That order is just plain wrong for me.

I can't say that I disagree with his order.
Obviously, I'm not a Tua fan and I've been high on Eason and Herbert for their measurables, but in any list, you end up comparing players with different types of skill-sets.
Can we really compare a RPO QB to a classic dropback guy? I'm leaning against the idea that you can. The whole square peg in round hole thing.

I think that one's list would be strongly influenced by what skill-set you were looking for.

Robert Foster was another speed guy that used to drive me crazy at Alabama by doing exactly what you just described Ross doing. Most notably against Auburn in 2017.

Completely agree with you also regarding Trevor - I see him take some of the strangest looking hits where his long lanky body gets contorted into some wicked positions and you wonder if he’s going to get to his feet afterwards. He always does. But one of these days he won’t.

Gotta keep in mind Neanderthals can take-a-licking-and-keep-on-ticking!

Kid is TUFF!

Good quality to have @QB IMO.

Back
Top Bottom