Media power can cripple a fan base. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Media power can cripple a fan base.

Trackstar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
With all of this negative talk latley about the fins, some of us take it upon ourselves to wonder why this is happening. While I agree not everything going on in Miami is a bundle of roses, I also agree that the media is somewhat to blame for the negative energy. The media basically provides too much information at times. A.J Feeley threw x amount of incomplete passes in practice today, The new OC is under qualified(Says who?), Dave Wannstadt could be fired, David Boston is not living up to expectations in MINICAMP, ect. Think back to a better day, Say 1972. Did the fans or the media care or want to know exactly what happens in practice? Or how many passes were dropped in practice? Or what guy eats for breakfast, or what his hobbies are. The bottom line is the fans trusted and believed in their team and the organization. They did not want ALL the inside info, and they did not recieve it. In return, the fans got a roster of 53 guys who could play ball and a bunch of coaches who would do anything to succeed, and that is all that mattered. The media is the creator of turmoil, not the organization. At least most of the time.

It doesn't take much to move this fan base to hysteria...just read these threats, and some one will justify this madness by saying we care about our team, so we seeing the other side of what could happen..BS, we don't even know what we have, we have no idea how this O will do, none, not one ioda, not one..this O has 5-6 new starters.

I think both are equally guilty. But it does start with the media.

but what would we ever spend this valuable time on these boards discussing during the off-season if they didn't give us all this basically invaluable information? ...politics?...cars?...coupons?

I have noticed many fans on this board bashing the team and claiming they are doing it to give the team motivation or someone to prove wrong. Whatever happened to giving a team confidence thru support? Now fans insist pressure is the way to go. How many of us work well when someone is constantly breathing down our neck?

I would rather be overly positive for this team then slightly negative. Ripping things apart that won't matter in a few months is not what we should be doing. I hate coming to this board and reading post with people "Venting", "What the hell?" or "season over". This is not what fans should be doing. It seems that Fin fans can easily switch from positive to negative just like that.

Dan Marino Hired- Yeah!

Dan Marino Quits- Laughing stock, season over, why are we so bad?

David Boston Trade/Other FA pickups- WOO HOO! Can't wait for season, we are going to rip apart the NFL

Vernon Carey/giving up 4th round pick- What were they thinking, we are doomed!

Rest of Draft/learning reason for giving up 4th round pick- Rick is a genious! Poole was such a steal! We will dominate!

Boston and Feeley struggle/Collier steps down- AHHH! We suck so much. Even our coaches are giving up. Saw this coming a mile away.

See, next week Fin fans may be all happy again, just to "Give Up" the following week. I hate to say it, but most Dolphin fans are very fickle.

yes... they are! and this is due to the fact that we've been a good franchise, but not a GREAT one for the last decade... its frustrating!! always on the edge, 10 win season no-playoffs etc etc

There are those who complain openly about the team then there is the person in Denial. He knows whats going on and refuses to accept it and clouds his mind with
delusional false promises for his team that aren't about to come. There The real negative fan. A little bit more harsh than the complainer.

I'm probably in between the complainer and real negative guy.

juniorseau55 said:
There are those who complain openly about the team then there is the person in Denial. He knows whats going on and refuses to accept it and clouds his mind with
delusional false promises for his team that aren't about to come. There The real negative fan. A little bit more harsh than the complainer.

i'm gonna hate myself for this but....

i assume this is based on your idea of what is true or false.

i can't buy that. true, there are those that are absolutely optamistic 100% of the time, but to say they are the negative ones is a little bit of a stretch. the negative ones, in my very humble opinion, are the ones that have narrow sight-unable to accept anothers point of view and rip those that are not in complete agreement with them. ;)

It only takes a spark to start a fire.
Put it this way. Person's are smart, people are a dangerous..panic ridden...herd. That once spooked will only stop when exhausted.

People have nothing now to look towards. During the season, if we lose, we always have just 6 more days to worry about. Now, during the offseason, people's imaginations get the better of them.

People want Fiedler gone. Feeley sucks. Our Oline is horrible. Do this, do that. Get this guy, fire that one.

Listen, if any of us here were as smart as we think we are then why aren't we working in the NFL? All most of us are, are second guesser's. Hindsight is 20/20. And opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

DOLPHAN1 said:
i'm gonna hate myself for this but....

the negative ones, in my very humble opinion, are the ones that have narrow sight-unable to accept anothers point of view and rip those that are not in complete agreement with them. ;)

Don't deny the fact that 90 percent of the time in a forum unless its something undebatable, users disagree against each other. Its weather
the poster draws greater attention and a user makes a note of it.

I think we will do better this season, or atleast stay status quo, and I think most fans feel that way.

If you notice, most of the bashing is on individual player performance, and not the team as a whole. Look at the Feeley threads for example. Some people feel that he is doing poorly, but that just means a better QB will start.

I think it has to do with all the years that fans have suppported this team blindly and been totally positive. Only to see this team underachieve, with this moron coach Wanny! We can debate it till the cows come home. He is a good coach. Just not great, and this teams fans have waited 30 plus years to be great again. I feel and so do many others, that is time we had that.

Back
Top Bottom