Media power can cripple a fan base. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Media power can cripple a fan base.

It has to do with OPINIONS....

My opinion is different than JR55 or trackstar, etc...

While I will readily admit that I have aqua-colored glasses on most of the time, I still have my opinions....I don't think JF is our answer at QB any longer...I have had enough of his inconsistency and poor decision making as a starter. I also think he is not total dog kaak-kaak. I watched AJ play in Philly in 2002 and last preseason. I think he will do well for us. I like the moves made on the OL. I like the Dbo move, but fell that he might blow up in our faces this season. Etc...

The point is, these are my opinions...I don't mind when people get on these boards and vent, etc..I like to hear other opinions too. I don't like the "sky is falling routine" and I don't care for the posters who, no matter what the topic is, are anti-Fins or always negative...I choose to either not read those posts or pay little attention to them.

I am really getting down on our town's media tho...first the JCole thing and now, no matter what the Fins do, it is bad. I used to listen to WQAM on the net, but rarely do anymore because all you get is their opinions, rarely facts. I only read articles from the three papers unless someone on a board posts a link...

The sad part about this is we have had one mini camp and one QB school so far and most people seem to believe (by their posts) that we will be lucky to be 1-15 this year, Dbo will be a bust, AJ will be 3rd string behind JF and Sage, the OL would be better off with Perry, Ruddy, and Nails, etc....

Lets all take a step back and breath, remember that is only early May and see what is going to happen as it occurs, instead of predicting the doom and gloom...

BTW does anyone ever visit those other guys (Phinzone)...Are the majority of posters mad there too...

IceStorm said:
It only takes a spark to start a fire.
Put it this way. Person's are smart, people are a dangerous..panic ridden...herd. That once spooked will only stop when exhausted.

People have nothing now to look towards. During the season, if we lose, we always have just 6 more days to worry about. Now, during the offseason, people's imaginations get the better of them.

People want Fiedler gone. Feeley sucks. Our Oline is horrible. Do this, do that. Get this guy, fire that one.

Listen, if any of us here were as smart as we think we are then why aren't we working in the NFL? All most of us are, are second guesser's. Hindsight is 20/20. And opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

:clap:

So very true....
Leave it to the Bong Monkey to tell it like it is.
What we have here is the inevitable stampede of panic ridden DolFans... it happens every offseason.
:horsey:

juniorseau55 said:
Don't deny the fact that 90 percent of the time in a forum unless its something undebatable, users disagree against each other. Its weather
the poster draws greater attention and a user makes a note of it.

there is no way i could say that. no two people are alike. there fore no two opinions are exactly alike. disagreements are natually inherant in this format. the reason i responded was because the fact that someone that is usually accossiated with generally negative and short sighted posts posts something like this. to say that someone with an overly optamistic view is somehow more negative than someone who brow beats people for not agreeing exactly with them or just slams some part of the team over and over and over.......

look, you are entitled to your opinion, but thats all that it is...your opinion. no more or less important than anyone else's. it may come to pass that you are correct, that happens. believe it or not sometimes i am actually correct my self. you, my friend, tend to draw alot of attention to your self when posting and that is the irony of your post. :)

I think the real issue simply boils down to the amount of information available. When I was a kid, we had the Herald and the Miami News. Probably a grand total of 3, maybe 4 writers covered the team and nobody had a harsh word. We were involved with the team for about 20 weeks per year and, unless the change was major e.g., a trade for Paul Warfield, nobody noticed.

Now we have the Herald, Sun-Sentinel, PB Post, SI, ESPN, USA Today, Dolphin Digest, etc., ad nauseum. We can hardly wait to see what number the last draft pick will wear! Geez!!

How would we have felt about Don Shula between the years 1986-1989 when our records were: 8-8, 8-7, 6-10 and 8-8! With Danny, for cryin' out loud!! Off with his head, I say! The guy sucks. He couldn't coach up an army of ants to find a picnic!

Maybe we know too much. I think I liked being naive...

dolfanreal69 said:
I think it has to do with all the years that fans have suppported this team blindly and been totally positive. Only to see this team underachieve, with this moron coach Wanny! We can debate it till the cows come home. He is a good coach. Just not great, and this teams fans have waited 30 plus years to be great again. I feel and so do many others, that is time we had that.

I was just about to post the same thing, there are only so many times you can say ok "This is the Year" only to be let down. The team in the last few years has truly dissapointed most fans, so it is getting harder to just overlook the little things.

If the Fins were a team like the Bengals, Chargers, Cards Etc then it would be much easier to accept mistakes, bad play, failure to make the playoffs, but the Fins are not these teams they are a team that every season fans have very high expectations from. Had they made the playoffs the last few years and maybe even played in a championship game then I would bet it would be much easier to deal with a bad draft or questionable front office moves.

Problem is this team has had a lot of talent in the last 5 years or so and that window is closing, and there is nothing to say that they will continue to be the competitive team that they have been, so we as fans are going to magnify every move that is made. I am not a negative fan but I can tell you I am going into this season with less confidence then I have in a while. This is not to say that I don't expect they shouldn't make the playoffs or possibly the Super Bowl, I am just saying I won't be as dissapointed as past seasons.

Main thing is on Sept 12th I will be sitting in my seat screaming my head off for my team.

dolfanreal69 said:
I think it has to do with all the years that fans have suppported this team blindly and been totally positive. Only to see this team underachieve, with this moron coach Wanny! We can debate it till the cows come home. He is a good coach. Just not great, and this teams fans have waited 30 plus years to be great again. I feel and so do many others, that is time we had that.

We've had Shula and Jimmy Johnson and have not won a SB since the 70's, why is Wanny any more of a moron that they, Shula's last team had 19 1st rounders on it. He didn't win the SB and I didn't see or hear anyone call him a moron, now let Wanny have something like that and don't win a SB..this board would go nuts. I can't say Wanny is not Great, he might be great just getting the wins he's gotten out of the teams he's has for all I know. Last year I didn't expect us to do nothing based on the OL situation entering the season and we got 10 wins out of that. So I've learned to wait and speak slowly until I know. I guessed pretty good about that OL, but that's because I had seen them play and had history with them. This year's O is a complete mystery to me. So I'm waiting for the PS to get some clue about them. I can't demand, but I would suggest a lot of people wait as well, then we could have a good debate. Right now we're giving opinions and shooting each other up if we don't agree with each other. I don't mind opinions, but make sure that people understand that's it's just that, an opinion. When you state things as fact and shoot down anyone who disgrees as unknowledgable, that's when I have a problem. I sometimes come across as over bearing too. I apologize for that. But I can't debate our O with strong facts right now, as I just don't know enough about them. Now Our D, that's a different story..They still have some things to prove to me too, before I will call them great like some of you. Right now, they're alright, servicable, good for about 4 wins. Can they prove to me that they can win more. We need them to win at least 7 games this year until the O is gelling completely..Can they do it. Any opinions or in this case Facts that say they can? :D

MDFINFAN said:
We've had Shula and Jimmy Johnson and have not won a SB since the 70's, why is Wanny any more of a moron that they, Shula's last team had 19 1st rounders on it. He didn't win the SB and I didn't see or hear anyone call him a moron, now let Wanny have something like that and don't win a SB..this board would go nuts. I can't say Wanny is not Great, he might be great just getting the wins he's gotten out of the teams he's has for all I know. Last year I didn't expect us to do nothing based on the OL situation entering the season and we got 10 wins out of that. So I've learned to wait and speak slowly until I know. I guessed pretty good about that OL, but that's because I had seen them play and had history with them. This year's O is a complete mystery to me. So I'm waiting for the PS to get some clue about them. I can't demand, but I would suggest a lot of people wait as well, then we could have a good debate. Right now we're giving opinions and shooting each other up if we don't agree with each other. I don't mind opinions, but make sure that people understand that's it's just that, an opinion. When you state things as fact and shoot down anyone who disgrees as unknowledgable, that's when I have a problem. I sometimes come across as over bearing too. I apologize for that. But I can't debate our O with strong facts right now, as I just don't know enough about them. Now Our D, that's a different story..They still have some things to prove to me too, before I will call them great like some of you. Right now, they're alright, servicable, good for about 4 wins. Can they prove to me that they can win more. We need them to win at least 7 games this year until the O is gelling completely..Can they do it. Any opinions or in this case Facts that say they can? :D

:eek:

Stop It!!! Stop It!!!

You're making WAY too much sense!
It hurts!!! It hurts!!!!

:tongue:

I can say in my opinion that Wanny is a moron.He has stuck with the same Qb who is injury prone and inconsistant for four years. The same system that has yeilded a running game we never had, but also destroyed the passing game. We have all heard he even overruled the OC in games to play conservative. While i think he is a decent defensive coach. DW is not a good HC to me. With the talent he has had yes he has won some games. He never had a doninate season.I can not even remember when we had a bye and homefield throughout the playoffs. This team seems to be close, but there is a flaw. LEADERSHIP! You do not go into anything without a plan.For all the positives i feel for this team. Wanny is a huge negative,to me. It is simple to me if mediocore is ok then you get what you accept. I however expect more from this team and so should the team itself and the fans. If i just wanted to be good at what i do. I would never be great,and if i become great, i should still not be satisfied! Fact is Wanny is not getting it done. How long till someone finally says hey he has had 4 years, just like his boy dumbo at Qb, and has not even got a whiff of the afc championship game.Much less the superbowl. Do i think this team can win the Superbowl this year? Yes, i do,but it will be despite DW, and not because of him IMO!

I also feel no one called Shula a moron because he actually won a couple of superbowls as a head coach.Dolfanreal69

I guess I have a unique perspective on things because I am from Cincinnati. The Bengals are coming off of an 8-8 season in the weakest division in the NFL with a largely unproven NFL head coach, an unprove RB, and a second year QB who is yet to take a snap. Their defense was ranked in the low 20's in every catergory last year. This entire town is going nuts with excitement over the coming season.

The Dolphins have had a grand total of one losing season since I have been alive. They are coming off of a 10-6 season in the toughest division in the NFL. They have one of the top 5 RB's in the NFL. They traded for a pro-bowl WR in the off-season. Although there are still issues on the o-line, it still should be greatly improved from last year. We have a coach who is 41-23 since taking over as head coach. We have the best secondary in the NFL. Our DE's combined for 28 sacks last year.

I understand where a lot fans are coming from, trust me, I hate the fact that we have now lost 3 in a row to the pats, and I realize there are still issues that could lead to the season being a very long one. However, I do think some fans go way to far overboard with the doom and gloom predictions.

"True loyalty is that quality of service that grows in adversity and expands in defeat. Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise---the other, loyalty."--Fielding Yost

dolfanreal69 said:
I can say in my opinion that Wanny is a moron.He has stuck with the same Qb who is injury prone and inconsistant for four years. The same system that has yeilded a running game we never had, but also destroyed the passing game. We have all heard he even overruled the OC in games to play conservative. While i think he is a decent defensive coach. DW is not a good HC to me. With the talent he has had yes he has won some games. He never had a doninate season.I can not even remember when we had a bye and homefield throughout the playoffs. This team seems to be close, but there is a flaw. LEADERSHIP! You do not go into anything without a plan.For all the positives i feel for this team. Wanny is a huge negative,to me. It is simple to me if mediocore is ok then you get what you accept. I however expect more from this team and so should the team itself and the fans. If i just wanted to be good at what i do. I would never be great,and if i become great, i should still not be satisfied! Fact is Wanny is not getting it done. How long till someone finally says hey he has had 4 years, just like his boy dumbo at Qb, and has not even got a whiff of the afc championship game.Much less the superbowl. Do i think this team can win the Superbowl this year? Yes, i do,but it will be despite DW, and not because of him IMO!

Mmmm, Shula stuck with the same QB for 17 years..DM..didn't win a sb..of course Marino is better than Jay throwing wise only. We've had 2 different O's under Wanny, first Gailey then Norv..so no, it's not the same system. If I remember correctly, Ricky led the league in rushing 2 years ago, and went over a 1000 yards again last year. Lamar Smith ran over and also close to a 1000 yards while here. Under Shula or Jimmy, we didn't have that. Do you think Wanny is the 1st of our coaches to overrule the OC..If Huard would have throw the ball under Jimmy, do you think the OC would have been the OC the next game? Please. Shula over ruled his Coordinators too. With the talent Wanny's has, he gotten as much out of them as anyone. Notice that any time a starter would go out, there's a big drop off at that position. Wanny recognized that and is trying to get good depth. No Moron would do that. And if the talent was sooo good, why add new players? As you so rightly state, you should expect more from the team--the players. Can you really said the coaches aren't doing all they can to get these ready for each game. Look at our loses over Wanny's tenure here, we've been in every game except a few. That's preparation and good coaching on game day. Now can you say the players have made the plays when given opportunity? That's not coaching, that's a mediocore player. Look we've even had a coach recently have to resign his post due to exhusion trying to prepare and get this team where it needs to get to. That's dedication from the coaches and I can bet you Wannys in the middle of it. So don't give me that bad coaching rutine, Wanny's as prepared as any coach, that's why he's beating Belicheck so many times, and this last year he loss to him..why,,,IF YOU CAN STATE THOSE LOSSes IS WANNY's FAULT, then I know you're just blowing smoke. It's not Wanny who's not getting it done, it's his players. While they are good, they are not GREAT. And that my friend is the Cruix of the problem and WHY we keep looking for new players.....thank you for your attention in this matter.. :D

Dolfanreal69, How do you know leadership is the problem? It takes two for this whole thing to work. The coaches must motivate the players and the players must buy into what the coaches want. How do you know Wanny is the problem or as you say "A huge negative." He has countless times put his team in the position to win the game.

Simple Wanny does not motivate the players. Wow a lobster trap! Man he is a genius. The fact that Wanny allowed Mare to not practice on the dirt infield is one reason. Reason two he is responsible for the conservative offense we ran. Reason 3 the player love him because he is not too demanding! I feel Wanny has benifited from a team Jimmy built and rick traded for. then squandered the talent he has in that they are much better than how they play. He is consistantly outcoached and our offense is as predictable as old faithfull. DW is directly responsible because he is the Head coach. With all the good come the accolades, but with all the bad comes the truth and the fact we are not a better team with Wanny. Just a team that consistantly competes and never wins the big one. As i said before, if you accept mediocore. That is exzactlly what your gonna get! Dolfanreal69

Have you ever considered the reason why Wanny ran such a conservative Offense? Do you honestly think Dave and Norv were sitin back in minicamps sayin "lets run the most predictable offense in the NFL". I admit our offense is not very aggressive, but to blame it on Wanny is just ridiculous. First off the O-line was terrible. Jay had another injury prone year, the defense could never hold come 3rd down and yet we were still a contender all the way till the end. I also have to ask this, How do you know players love him because he is not too demanding? None of us have ever been in that locker room or know exactly why they love him. This is exatly what I am talking about, the media has provided way to much inside info and half of the info is either false or innacurate, Therefor filling people's heads with Bull sh*t excuses to why their team cant win a super bowl. Bottom line -the players must earn their paycheck come sunday.

dolfanreal69 said:
Simple Wanny does not motivate the players. Wow a lobster trap! Man he is a genius. The fact that Wanny allowed Mare to not practice on the dirt infield is one reason. Reason two he is responsible for the conservative offense we ran. Reason 3 the player love him because he is not too demanding! I feel Wanny has benifited from a team Jimmy built and rick traded for. then squandered the talent he has in that they are much better than how they play. He is consistantly outcoached and our offense is as predictable as old faithfull. DW is directly responsible because he is the Head coach. With all the good come the accolades, but with all the bad comes the truth and the fact we are not a better team with Wanny. Just a team that consistantly competes and never wins the big one. As i said before, if you accept mediocore. That is exzactlly what your gonna get! Dolfanreal69

And you know personally Wanny doesn't motivate the players? You mean they won as many games because they were uninspired by who led them. Is NE O wide open? Was Carolina's? Let me get this straight, Wanny doesn't motivate the players, but they love him..consistantly outcoached would mean he would have lost more games than won, that doesn't seem to be the case. He phins record is outstanding..Our Old O was what it was, our new O, we don't have a clue. The NE offense was predictable, so was Carolina's, but somehow they reached the SB. To be prefectly truthful, Wanny doesn't play the game, the players do. When a int is missed, that's not Wanny, when a FG is missed, that's not Wanny, when a pass is over thrown or dropped, that's not Wanny, the truth is we don't have the great players some of you think we did. Mediocore Players=mediocore results..hince as I've stated before...that's why we're always trying to find better players. Wanny has recognized the short comings of this team and to his credit tried to address them within the cap and needs of the team without killing the long range opportunities for the phins..that balancing act is pretty good. Just ask the old bills coach Kilbrites, do you want him as the coach?

Back
Top Bottom