[MERGED] 25 million dollars for Smiley!? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

[MERGED] 25 million dollars for Smiley!?

Just Pace, Bell, and Smiley alone, and I'd consider this a fairly successful FA for the 'Phins. All fairly young, all should be reasonably priced. Not that I would complain if the FO could get more than that.:D

i couldn't agree more...if u get those 3 i would consider this a great off-season!:woot:

Nah, solidify the lines first. It's been so long since we had even a decent line people will be surprised what R@R will be able to do.

I feel EXACTLY the same way!

FA is our chance to land a veteran QB and REAL help for our Defensive and Offensive lines.

Keep in mind, in a true 3-4 scheme, our young NT's and DE's are just too small! None of the rooks we have fit what Parcells is looking for. Of the whole line, 3 players COULD adapt to a 3-4, that's it! Jason Taylor and Joey Porter are set on the outsides, but Parcells likes SIZE and SPEED in the 2 middle LB positions and CHANNING CROWDER doesn't project well for a 3-4 scheme.

So having said that:

Now that we've signed a RG, we need another veteran Guard but NOT a LT. The free agent pool sucks now that Adams is gone and PACE won't work with everything that we need. IF we didn't have to sign a QB maybe, but we can't afford it. The draft is CRAZY deep with LT's so you look there.

We aquire via trade or FA a TRUE 3-4 NOSE TACKLE. That will make ALL of the difference! Remember how BAD New England was the year BEFORE they drafted Wilfork, when they were playing our 38 year old NT and giving up over 100 yds per game? Wilfork solved that problem right quick for them.

We need THAT!

We also need 2 linebackers and a good FS.

If we get that, I'll be thrilled. Then we can draft whomever we feel will BEST help the team without having to plug in the whole NEED thing too much. Because with a first round pick, you don't draft need, you pick Best Available Player.

This year that could be any one of 6-7 players, depending on who you talk to. So, you sign ehlp in the trenches, draft their backups in the later rounds and acquire skill position players via the first 4 rounds of the draft.

That's how all of the great teams have done it lately!

Very happy with the SMILEY signing, it's a reasonable deal with good numbers and a good upside.

GO PHINS!!!

Are you serious? He was injured most of the season.. He is a pull guard which Miami hasn't truely had since Jamie nails

Ok people don't get to excited here. I don't know how many of you are from California or are able to watch almost every 49er game but I unfortunately am one, and believe me Justin Smiley is not worth 25 million dollars. Give me a break, he wasn't even one of the 49ers best lineman, and their line wasn't much to speak of to begin with. If Faneca is going for 8 million a year, I don't understand why we wouldn't be willing to spend a little more for a legit guard. Trust me, you all will look back and realize this was a total waste of money to spend on a guy that will be in and out of the lineup due to poor play. Bad start to free agency!
:bs::caveman::bs::yap::yap::yap:

exactly what im saying... whats with this love for justin smiley... WHO?! what? cause king parcells signs him, it must automatically mean hes gonna be good?... he was backup in his three or four year career.. alan fanecas market value is around 8 million... we got smiley for 5... for 3 more million, we couldve had the best Guard in FA.. im lost with this one.. and everyone seems to be so excited?

Ok people don't get to excited here. I don't know how many of you are from California or are able to watch almost every 49er game but I unfortunately am one, and believe me Justin Smiley is not worth 25 million dollars. Give me a break, he wasn't even one of the 49ers best lineman, and their line wasn't much to speak of to begin with. If Faneca is going for 8 million a year, I don't understand why we wouldn't be willing to spend a little more for a legit guard. Trust me, you all will look back and realize this was a total waste of money to spend on a guy that will be in and out of the lineup due to poor play. Bad start to free agency!

:m359: :m359: :m359:

Go watch some 9er games, thats all I have to say. The guy isn't worth 5 million dollars a year. He's nothing special. Break the bank on a player that is going to help this team, not take another step back.

With the increase in cap numbers over the last 2 years, guys are going to get big contracts. Smiley is a good young player. No he isn't great, but he can move better than Hadnot who will command a similar deal. 8-9 million guaranteed is reasonable for one of the better o-lineman on the market. Yes, Faneca is a better player and a better value relative to production, but he's older and probably has other teams in mind. We're in a rebuilding mold and we're going to need to pay up a bit to lure free agents here. I think this is a very good signing for us. And yes I've seen Smiley play. I think he'll be solid.

Have you ever heard of Justin Smiley before tonight? Well said, just because Parcells signs him, he must be gold huh?

why didnt we just resign Hadnot and atleast have continuoity (sp?) on the line.. and Hadnot was a starter so he comes with experience

i heard of smiley before tonight saw him in college wanted the fins to draft him, and i have seen him play in the NFL

I know you're concerned, but $25 million is not the contract it used to be. Consider what Jeff Faine was paid to go to Tampa.

Just One Thing....

exactly what im saying... whats with this love for justin smiley... WHO?! what? cause king parcells signs him, it must automatically mean hes gonna be good?... he was backup in his three or four year career.. alan fanecas market value is around 8 million... we got smiley for 5... for 3 more million, we couldve had the best Guard in FA.. im lost with this one.. and everyone seems to be so excited?

No, Faneca would get 7 - 8 million a year but about 20 million guaranteed money.

Smiley gets 2 million a year (realistically) with 10 million guaranteed money.

Is he HALF the player Faneca is, probably! But you should probably understand WHY he was signed, he constitutes an UPGRADE over HADNOT, not THE SOLUTION at RG forever and ever. We will eventually DRAFT the solution, just not this year (probably)!

Anyway, that's how I see it.

BTW, if we were just a few FA away from greatness I would agree with you on FANECA. But we're not in any position to blow 1/4 of our cap space on ONE player AND need to pick up a QB. Any year that you have to sign a QB you have to be prudent elsewhere because those guys, even the bad ones, get PAID!

Go Phins!!

Great pick up... this guy is amazing and young... he will lead us to a super bowl

why didnt we just resign Hadnot and atleast have continuoity (sp?) on the line.. and Hadnot was a starter so he comes with experience

I'll leave it up to the hall of famer, Bill Parcells and the OL coach, Sparano to judge who better to sign that contract to.

Back
Top Bottom