Merged 2x:Ok - Now Its Clear Pot Is The Issue/It aint all about the pot | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 2x:Ok - Now Its Clear Pot Is The Issue/It aint all about the pot

Dphins4me said:
[/COLOR]
No one has ever been arrested for using a drug.

Its the purchasing and the possession of it that is illegal.

Dphins4me - you are correct. I've been an attorney for 12 years, and I have found that the subtle nuance you are trying to explain to these folks cannot always be grasped by every mind. Nice attempt, though.

DOLFANMIKE said:
I'll start by saying this post isnt intended to start a debate as to whether or not pot should be legal. The fact is it is illegal right now and the NFL tests for it. This post is also not intended to start a debate regarding what a person should be able to do or not as a free individual.

THIS POST IS ABOUT POT RUINING RICKY WILLIAMS CAREER, AND HOW RICKY WILLIAMS USE OF POT HAS HURT THIS FOOTBALL TEAM.

From the Herald:
Report: Williams Said He Failed Drug Test

Associated Press

"MIAMI - Retired Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said he failed a third drug test for marijuana use, which would cost him a four-game suspension if he decides to return to the NFL, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site Thursday.

Williams told the newspaper that marijuana played a larger role in his retirement than he indicated when he walked away after just five pro seasons. He said he learned of the failed test and possible suspension days before telling coach Dave Wannstedt last week that he was through playing.

Williams said, however, that there were "a hundred reasons" for his surprising decision to retire, and his desire to continue smoking marijuana was only one of them.

"I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test," he told the Herald. "I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football."

Williams said he's not addicted to marijuana."

I know I'm a conservative when it comes to social issues. I also understand that being conservative isn't always the right point of view. I don't think any point of view is always right, whether it be a liberal or conservative view.

However, this post is about the reality of the situation between Ricky Williams and the Miami Dolphins and NFL.

I've said Ricky is immature. I stand by that. This entire ordeal IMO of world travel and retirement is Ricky Williams running from the 3 failed drug tests. He now has failed 3 drug tests as a Miami Dolphin. As a coach, I find that totally irresponsible to his teammates and the organization. He has chosen to smoke dope over being a Miami Dolphin. He's embarrassed the organization, hurt his reputation, and done possible career ending damage on himself. His pot use has now hurt the team.....OFFICIALLY. It doesnt matter if Pot isn't as bad as alcohol, or as bad as cigarettes.....because they aren't illegal. Pot is illegal right now, so it's the source of the immature decision.
It's all part of a big game in life that says "here is what you can do and here is what you can't do"...right now. Rules can always change, but for now it is what it is....Pot is illegal.
Ricky Williams is immature and selfish because he chose a simple pleasure (Smoking pot) over doing the responsible thing. He let down us as DOLFANS, his coaches and his teammates. He can be the new poster boy for those TV ads about how smoking weed can cost you and your teammates. I guess it was too much to ask him to give up weed for the status he has in society, and not to mention the millions of dollars he gets for playing and millions of fans who love to watch him play. It was too much to ask him to not smoke pot so that he could be in the NFL, or the Cornerstone of the Miami Dolphins Offense. It was to much to ask him to refrain from pot smoking for now so that he could present a higher image of himself for kids that admire him.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with what is going on with the drug tests, the reality of the situation is that Ricky Williams will not be able to continue on the path he has chosen for himself the way the rules are now in his life. He currently is heading into a 4 game suspension that has hurt his team after failing his 3rd drug test could soon find himself out for the year.

He is on the brink of losing it all. He's proven himself to be immature, dishonest, disloyal, unreliable, and unwilling to make the situation right. How typical is it that he ran away after that 3rd failed test. How typical that he still doesn't understand that failing a 3rd test is a whole different animal than failing 1 drug test. Ricky says he isn't addicted to Pot? Tell me, isn't the most clear sign of addiction when something starts to screw your life up? When you hurt relationships, or you work, etc for a drug? Ok Ricky...you chose. Either your addicted and need help or you are immature and need to grow up. Either way you have the power to bring this all full circle by simply keeping the blunt out of your mouth for a few more years.

I guess it's tough to appreciate people that are so immature and selfish that they engage in behavior that they know hurts themselves and others but don't care enough to alter that behavior. If Ricky wants to be a pothead he has the rest of his life to be a pothead. He only has a few years left where he can be an elite RB in the NFL.
Now that we know the retirement was really not about "lost fire" and that he was in reality running from another failed drug test and impending suspension, I think it's fair to say Ricky is immature and selfish in his pot smoking. One of the greatest enjoyments in life is the benefits of being part of a team and we'd all love to be in Ricky's situation as the Tailback of the Miami Dolphins, and the organizations most marketed player since Dan Marino. Ricky needs to grow up folks and look in the mirror and decide what kind of man he's going to be. Is his legacy going to be that he's irresponsible, dishonest, unreliable, etc? Or is he going to accept the responsiblity that comes with the gift he's been given?

I'm a DOLFAN and a Ricky Williams fan. But words can't express my disappointment with his decision to smoke pot over the TEAM.
I really hope Ricky Williams makes this situation right. He's a young man and he has a tremendous spotlight on him. Sometimes that isnt always fair. He deserves (like we all do) a chance to make things right. I think he'll get that chance, I only hope he takes it and learns from it.
very nice...not to mention the example he is setting for his own kids.

My question is, if he doesn't care what the fans or anybody thinks about his decision, why does he feel the need to constantly try to justify it? It seems like everyday I come on here I see a new reason for his retirement. The man is lost.

Mr. Pink said:
"Incorrect. Doing something illegal and not being caught does not entail legality.
Never said it did. How did you ever come to the conclusion I said that?

I said using the drug was not illegal, never said or implied it was legal. If it were then everyone that has ever checked into rehab would also been arrested.

Simply having the drugs in your system is not an arrestable offense.

Mr. Pink said:
If you commit an illegal action (possession, *willful* possession of contraband), you have broken the law. The lack of proof for prosecution does not substitute for legality.

I hope you aren't trying to get into Law School.
Again never said it did.

I said just what you said in different wording. Thanks for adding your 2 cents that said nothing more than what I had already posted.

You are a big help.

Dphins4me said:
You missed my whole point of my post. Its not a matter or conflict. Its a matter of hypocrisy.

The NFL want the money for beer advertising for themselves, but then turn around and have a policy that says a player cannot do a commerical for the very same people who the NFL is taking money from.

The NFL is saying we can make monies off of alcohol, but the players cannot.

Why is why I want to know.

You said the NFL has to set standards for the children. That is tee total bull and that is what my post was about.

Same thing to me, no conflict no hypocrisy. Children are not allowed to drink, this does not mean that the business called the NFL shouldn't try and make $ off of ppl who can legally drink alcohol. Again IMO they would be foolish to not attempt to make $ off of that section of the population.

Children have a way of idolizing the players, so that is why the players association and the NFL both agreed players should not do those types of commercials. It's not like the NFL strong armed the players association or anything. They both agree here.

Oliver...

1972 said:
Dphins4me - you are correct. I've been an attorney for 12 years, and I have found that the subtle nuance you are trying to explain to these folks cannot always be grasped by every mind. Nice attempt, though.

LoL, W/E.

Some just do not agree with it. It doesn't mean they do not get it.

Oliver...

DOLFANMIKE said:
I'll start by saying this post isnt intended to start a debate as to whether or not pot should be legal. The fact is it is illegal right now and the NFL tests for it. This post is also not intended to start a debate regarding what a person should be able to do or not as a free individual.

THIS POST IS ABOUT POT RUINING RICKY WILLIAMS CAREER, AND HOW RICKY WILLIAMS USE OF POT HAS HURT THIS FOOTBALL TEAM.

QUOTE]

You are right on with your opinion.

Many on these boards will continue to ignore the obvious which seems to be a common thing here at Finheaven! Ricky is a troubled individual and it has nothing to do with the game of football at all IMO. He is simply an addict and like most addicts that get to this point, he is letting everything crash in around him. His career is in jeopardy, he's let everyone around him down, all the while claiming that it's everything elses fault instead of the addiction.

This is textbook. Sad.... but still textbook.

Trekbiz said:
DOLFANMIKE said:

QUOTE]

You are right on with your opinion.

Many on these boards will continue to ignore the obvious which seems to be a common thing here at Finheaven! Ricky is a troubled individual and it has nothing to do with the game of football at all IMO. He is simply an addict and like most addicts that get to this point, he is letting everything crash in around him. His career is in jeopardy, he's let everyone around him down, all the while claiming that it's everything elses fault instead of the addiction.

This is textbook. Sad.... but still textbook.

Well said Trek. One positive thing though....can you imagine how the DOLFANS will respond to our Fins playing their hearts out early in the year. If we have some early success watch out!

DOLFANMIKE said:
Well said Trek. One positive thing though....can you imagine how the DOLFANS will respond to our Fins playing their hearts out early in the year. If we have some early success watch out!

True....

Thats a great point Mike.
If anything can be gained out of this it will be that a true "team" atmosphere may be created. Every player no doubt now knows that the importance of all their roles just went up. Forget about the side effects of Marijuana, lets talk the side effects of adversity.

Adversity can crush a group of individuals or adversity can create a rallying of individuals that allow them to achieve greater things. There's no middle ground now so lets hope for the latter!

What a story it would be for this team to go all the way without the star it built all it's hopes on the offensive side of the ball!

Trekbiz said:
True....

Thats a great point Mike.
If anything can be gained out of this it will be that a true "team" atmosphere may be created. Every player no doubt now knows that the importance of all their roles just went up. Forget about the side effects of Marijuana, lets talk the side effects of adversity.

Adversity can crush a group of individuals or adversity can create a rallying of individuals that allow them to achieve greater things. There's no middle ground now so lets hope for the latter!

What a story it would be for this team to go all the way without the star it built all it's hopes on the offensive side of the ball!

Oh honestly, I'm sure not only the team, but also the coaches could really win over most the fan base if they come out swinging and play well after this adversity. I'm really excited for the season to start.

touborg said:
If you're giving up a football career and millions of dollars to smoke pot, that's a pretty big indication you've got a problem.
It's also a pretty big indication you've got a problem when you shave your dreads off because the pot makes you think they're out to get ya. :chuckle:

pwn3dyo said:
I don't think its rickys fault, more so the nfls fault for having marijuana in the same category as crack,heroin and steroids. If you get arrested for possession of marijuana you get an $80 fine in california. In the NFL you get caught twice you get fined $650,000 and sit out 1 month. Ricky admited to smoking pot ever since he was a teenager. His dream was to play college football and win the Heisman trophy. Something most of us can't even dream about it, so don't call him lazy. You can't achieve something like that being lazy, or undetermined. He smokes marijuana, so what? He quit because he didn't like getting piss tested every other day, and getting fined over half a million dollars for smoking marijuana. I don't blame him.

*edit* im not saying marijuana should be legal, just that he should get fined what the rest of society does.

There's one problem with your idea. 1000's of people don't spend millions of $$$ to watch me shuffle papers or work on Access databases. They don't drive 100's of miles to see or get tattoos of people who are nurses, lawyers, teachers, carpenters, or cops. They do theses things for pro and college players. They need to realize that they are going to be held to a higher standard than the rest of society. They want all the perks of fame and none of the responsibility. Sorry, Sir Charles, it doesn't work that way, and it shouldn't.

Dphins4me said:
You guys do not get it. Being caught with it in your possession is what is illegal. Using it and not getting caught using it is not illegal.

But it is a criminal activity.

By your logic, murder is legal if you don't get caught.

Back
Top Bottom