MERGED: Alexander is officialy tagged | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Alexander is officialy tagged

That's why I said IF we trade Surtain (ie for a 1st and 4th to Indi), that frees up 6.1 million. Giviing a top RB 5 mil a year and making that deal a 4 mil a year contract by giving a big signing bonus is not out of the question. He's 27. He damn near led the league in running last year (missed it by one yard).

With Surtain traded, we could then use the draft to restock our defense. Add the Washington trade (our #2 to the Redskins for #9 and Samuels) and now we're on our way.

dont be suprised if its something like this

"Portis will sign an eight-year deal that is worth $50.5 million and includes $17 million in combined signing and option bonuses, several league sources confirmed for ESPN.com."

probably around a 6 year 38 mil deal (same Portis money, just shortened 2 years)

miamirw said:
That's why I said IF we trade Surtain (ie for a 1st and 4th to Indi), that frees up 6.1 million. Giviing a top RB 5 mil a year and making that deal a 4 mil a year contract by giving a big signing bonus is not out of the question. He's 27. He damn near led the league in running last year (missed it by one yard).

With Surtain traded, we could then use the draft to restock our defense. Add the Washington trade (our #2 to the Redskins for #9 and Samuels) and now we're on our way.
he'll be 28 this year, and with all the hits and everything he's taken, he's got what 2 maybe 3 good years left?

edit: 4 mil a year? yeah right, he's gonna want franchise tag salary money

At least he'll be another option. Cant have to many options in my book.

edit: 4 mil a year? yeah right, he's gonna want franchise tag salary money

I agree, but there are ways to defray the cost - ie signing bonus spread out over length of contract. I'd say if you can get the next four years out of Alexander at 5-6 million a year, then cut him in year 5, it would be worth it. Still though, I would like to explore Lamont Jordan as well. If we can get Jordan at a siginificant reduction and on a longer deal I would prefer that.

Don't you all think he'll be a little too rich for your blood this year, considering your cap situation and all?

Dudeman said:
dont be suprised if its something like this

"Portis will sign an eight-year deal that is worth $50.5 million and includes $17 million in combined signing and option bonuses, several league sources confirmed for ESPN.com."

probably around a 6 year 38 mil deal (same Portis money, just shortened 2 years)

CP got that after year 2. This is year 5 or 6 for Shaun. He has money, he wants to win, and be where he wants. A warm climate, near his family. Saban will show Shaun that this is going to be a winning franchise, and that he will be a big part of the offense. He will be cheaper then a top 10 pick, mark my words. Saban is a no bull kind of guy, he will make him a fair offer, look in his eyes, and say, hey you said you want to play here, show me your good on your words.

Yeah, March 1st baby.

I gotta admit that it's pretty nice to hear that people want to play for us even after such a horrid season.

Phinsdude said:
CP got that after year 2. This is year 5 or 6 for Shaun. He has money, he wants to win, and be where he wants. A warm climate, near his family. Saban will show Shaun that this is going to be a winning franchise, and that he will be a big part of the offense. He will be cheaper then a top 10 pick, mark my words. Saban is a no bull kind of guy, he will make him a fair offer, look in his eyes, and say, hey you said you want to play here, show me your good on your words.
dude, he's going to have plenty of suitors who would be willing to pay top dollar

Alexander not being franchised is the best news I've gotten all day. If anything, it at least drives down the price of LaMont Jordan. However, we have to realize one thing. There's two main needs on this team that Saban identified: RB and LT. If we spend a lot of money (but not too much, whatever Saban believes is fair) on Alaxander, cahnces are we wont be able to spend enough money to get a good LT in FA. This means we either stick with McIntosh, or are basically forced to take Alex Barron with our highest draft pick, wherever that may be. If we instead pass on Alexander and are able to spend that money acquiring a quality LT, like Jonas Jennings (if he's seen as an upgrade, which I believe he is), then our draft will be about drafting one of the top 3 RBs. So which option is better? It's hard to tell. It would be great if we could get Jennings at a reduced price and still have enough to get Jordan, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

To put it briefly, Saban's decision on whether he goes after Alexander with a lucrative contract will depend on how he evaluates Alex Barron at the combine this week I believe. If he believes that Barron can come in and start for us next season, there is no doubt in my mind that Alexander will be a Phin next year. Otherwise, we'll probably go with LT in FA and RB in the draft. I really think it's that simple.

With such an incredible RB draft class, and a great pick this year, why does everyone want to spend huge $ on a 28 yr old RB? We are rebuilding. We need young guys that are cheap, and that are going to peak at about the same time in their careers.

Most here agree that we are not going to seriously contend for at least two years. Thet would put Alexander at 30. Whats the age that RBs seem to die off? 30.

Now wont it suck if we have built this great team by 2007 and what holds us back is our RB is old and begining to slow down?

Sure its nice that all these marque players want to come here and play, but we need put ourselves in position to win in the long term.

Not overpay for a few more wins in a meaningless 2005 season.

ItalianDolFan said:
dudes....Shaun Alexander expressed interest in playing for Miami, so im sure Saban could give him a nice cheap contract and he'd accept it. Possibly 1 or 2 million a year.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

I really doubt that Saban's gonna want to spend that kind of money on him when he can draft a guy like Fiason for a lot less and who's of course a lot younger.If we were 1 great RB away from the superbowl then I could see it but we're not there at this point so forget about it guys.We're not gonna be big spenders on free agency this year.I think we'll get a back up QB and then maybe a DT.I'd like a center but I'm not holding my breath.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom