merged:Boston's P.T. says NFL's training methods are moronic./trainer: Boston is in s | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

merged:Boston's P.T. says NFL's training methods are moronic./trainer: Boston is in s

Ok for the last 5 posts that I made which is making me angry now. You misinformed people who just so happen to read his name in this post or so happen to know him because he appeared in Boston Articles don't know what they are talking about. In my book he goes way back and has a way to go in his career. Not only is he a bright man with all the studying he loves to do and on going research but he has breed champions. From the respect I have of him and know what a personal trainer does, I don't consider him a trainer but more of a student on the physiological needs of the body. A personal trainer now a days is an average joe who got his certification and trains and individual into achieving their personal goals, thats if he knows his stuff. Charles in the other hand isn't an average joe, he's produced gold medals for 7 different countries. Most of these nfl players he trains, he trains them for mere physical goals like Boston. Now such goals which is evidently seen from boston, shies a player away from his profession and focus more time in the way their body grows. And no, he isn't a football trainer.

juniorseau55 said:
Ok for the last 5 posts that I made which is making me angry now. You misinformed people who just so happen to read his name in this post or so happen to know him because he appeared in Boston Articles don't know what they are talking about. In my book he goes way back and has a way to go in his career. Not only is he a bright man with all the studying he loves to do and on going research but he has breed champions. From the respect I have of him and know what a personal trainer does, I don't consider him a trainer but more of a student on the physiological needs of the body. A personal trainer now a days is an average joe who got his certification and trains and individual into achieving their personal goals, thats if he knows his stuff. Charles in the other hand isn't an average joe, he's produced gold medals for 7 different countries. Most of these nfl players he trains, he trains them for mere physical goals like Boston. Now such goals which is evidently seen from boston, shies a player away from his profession and focus more time in the way their body grows. And no, he isn't a football trainer.

You simply aren't getting the point of this thread. Nobody (at least not me) is trying to take pot shot or belittle Poliquin or his credentials. I have said a number times in this thread that he is probably very good at what he does. But for the last time.....HE IS NOT A FOOTBALL TRAINER :yell: . And the argument I am making is he shouldn't be saying that NFL trainers methods are moronic because they don't jive with what he reccomends for his athletes. Football trainers train football player. Poliquin trains athletes, not neccesarily for football related sports. Some of the things Poliquin does CAN be used by football players, but from what I have read about him (because of the interest this thread has generated for me), maybe not all of his methods and ideas are right for football players. Again please don't confuse this with me trying to say Poliquin isn't a good trainer.

finphan said:
Listen to what you're saying. You don't go to college to be a football trainer. There isn't a degree in football physiology or football science. He is considered an expert in his field, the same track that other strength and conditioning coaches in the NFL followed in college and is giving his expert opinion regarding weight and injury concerns. He is supporting Boston because he believes in what he does. I agree like I said in a different post that he shouldn't tell the NFL how to do things but he is an expert who is defending Boston's situation regarding his conditioning and I think he is more qualified than any of Miami's staff in that particular matter.

Yeah to be a better overall player (better athlete in regard to strength, speed, and stamina) but not in football fundamentals. You can be a trainer and help make Sammy Sosa hit the ball harder/farther which would make him a better batter b/c he might hit more home runs with his improved strength but you can't teach him how to hit a curveball plus its not your job as a trainer to teach him how to hit a curveball.

Again, he isn't telling the NFL how to run their teams, he is defending the conditioning of his client and questions how the 40 time and bench press of 225 for reps is enough of a determinate of how you judge somebody's athleticism. Even football coaches and "football experts" say that you can't judge a player by his 40 time and they bring up Rice time and time again.

He is proven as a TRAINER and look up his site. He trained Olympic medalists. A lot of athletes have been track stars in college or train in track in the offseason ala Don Beebe used to do. James Jett was a burner but couldn't catch a cold - was it his athletic trainer's fault? An athlete is an athlete and they learn the fundamentals of their trade from their position coaches/coaches. Their strength trainers don't make them better football or baseball players per se. They make them better overall athletes. By the way, WHO is PROVEN to tell NFL teams how to run their organizations? The owners, GM's, and coaches will run a team how they WANT to run it. Are they experts on physiology? Miami wants Boston to lose weight b/c they THINK that it will cut down on his injuries. Yes they pay his check and can do what they want to do even by not listening to an expert that isn't employed by them. Being critical of Poliquin's comments regarding the NFL is understandable but to discredit or question his credentials as an athletic trainer of professional athletes makes me wonder if you DID put a lot of thought in it.

That sums everything up really. The game is more mental than physical. As a matter of fact its 75 percent physical. The difference between a good football player and an average player is not their size but what they do different.

pigskinguy said:
You simply aren't getting the point of this thread. Nobody (at least not me) is trying to take pot shot or belittle Poliquin or his credentials. I have said a number times in this thread that he is probably very good at what he does. But for the last time.....HE IS NOT A FOOTBALL TRAINER :yell: . And the argument I am making is he shouldn't be saying that NFL trainers methods are moronic because they don't jive with what he reccomends for his athletes. Football trainers train football player. Poliquin trains athletes, not neccesarily for football related sports. Some of the things Poliquin does CAN be used by football players, but from what I have read about him (because of the interest this thread has generated for me), maybe not all of his methods and ideas are right for football players. Again please don't confuse this with me trying to say Poliquin isn't a good trainer.

Maybe you should stop reading what they write about him and find out what he has innovated in strengh training.

all this talk about boston losing 10 pounds give me a break he will be fine just get off the mans back!!!!!!!

juniorseau55 said:
That sums everything up really. The game is more mental than physical. As a matter of fact its 75 percent physical. The difference between a good football player and an average player is not their size but what they do different.

huh, interesting, so the game is more mental than physical, and yet it is 75 percent physical. So it is 76 percent mental then? So the average player is 151 percent of something. Would you care to tell me what that is?

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
huh, interesting, so the game is more mental than physical, and yet it is 75 percent physical. So it is 76 percent mental then? So the average player is 151 percent of something. Would you care to tell me what that is?
I was gonna point that out too :lol: :lol:

the trainor is worried that the gravy train won't stop for him after the phins staff gets ahold of him - 15 min. of fame and gone

Phinzone said:
I really do agree with you, but that's more of a sentiment than a look at this particular case. We have restrictions on players for a reason, it's obvious that Wade Smith wouldn't be a viable LT at 260. Now, if he were at 260 was a monster that opened up holes, never gave up a sack, etc. we might have a discussion about it.

But we're talking a mere 10 lbs here. If boston can maintain or even increase his 40 speed, catch the ball, and crack heads out there...in other words if he's as great of a player as he should be at 240 I would be more than willing to have him play at that weight, just as long as he's producing.

We're not talking about him putting on 50 lbs, and adding half a second onto his 40 time. He's 240, a big nasty WR that DB's will fear and is still EXTREMELY fast. I have no problem with it as long as he produces. I say give him a chance to show what he can do, if he doesn't produce he'll be forced to make the choice himself, drop weight and keep a football career, or focus on his body building. If he produces keep his weight capped out there, hurl him the rock, and watch him crush DB's :)

It's only been around 16 yrs. that a 300 lb. lineman was accepted on a NFL team. I remember Mike Ditka and William Perry going round and round over this issue. Fridge couldn't keep it off and 300 lbs. was taboo at that time. "You would NOT have found a 300 pounder on a Shula coached team"! As recently as Keith Sims was 300 lbs unacceptable on the Phins.There was compromise between Ditka and Perry and from that time on 300 pounders were to become the norm. Perhaps it's time that D.B. break the mold for the W.R.. If he can get the job done at 240, LET HIM DO IT! If he can't we tried...he's gone. Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

themole said:
It's only been around 16 yrs. that a 300 lb. lineman was accepted on a NFL team. I remember Mike Ditka and William Perry going round and round over this issue. Fridge couldn't keep it off and 300 lbs. was taboo at that time. "You would NOT have found a 300 pounder on a Shula coached team"! As recently as Keith Sims was 300 lbs unacceptable on the Phins.There was compromise between Ditka and Perry and from that time on 300 pounders were to become the norm. Perhaps it's time that D.B. break the mold for the W.R.. If he can get the job done at 240, LET HIM DO IT! If he can't we tried...he's gone. Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

You said it best.

Back
Top Bottom