merged:Boston's P.T. says NFL's training methods are moronic./trainer: Boston is in s | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

merged:Boston's P.T. says NFL's training methods are moronic./trainer: Boston is in s

juniorseau55 said:
Coming from someone who has probably been a couch athlete......
You have no idea how tempting it would be here to completly humiliate you by comparing who's done what. :lol:

juniorseau55 said:
Training I have competed up until 2 years ago in the IFBB so I know what I'm talking about.

Wow. Thats impressive. So if I understand you right you took some classes on how to build up your body. That after school activity you went to far outways 20 years of coaching football, Coaching in and off season training, going to coaching clinics for 20 years, being certified in First aid, CPR, and a licensed fitness intstructor (Nationally), as well as having an AA, BS, Masters Degree (Kinesiology), and state coaching license.

I think you know where you can stuff your couch potato. :roflmao:

juniorseau55 said:
That idiot is a bright man with a long Resume that stands. That idiot has a masters in Science. That man has coached champions. Its his personal opinion, he never stated things should be done his way. What are physical attributes if you're a player and you have the mind of a peanut.

I agree with him (juniorseau55) and just wanted to add a little more. Charles Poliquin writes articles in several Health and Fitness magagzines and has written several books. He has indeed coached many athletes and champions (Olympic champions in 12 diff. sports). He has a BS degree in Kinesiology which is the specialized study in movement and is an application of several branches of science including physics, mechanics, physiology and anatomy to motion. He has a MS degree in Exercise Physiology, which in a nutshell is the study of exercise and the effects it has on the human body. The perception I get from a lot of you is that he is just some bodybuilding expert (although he is a world renowned strength trainer) so I just wanted to give some insight with his credentials to those that aren't familiar with him. I actually took both Exercise Physiology and Kinesiology in college and I can tell you that athletic performance is a major application of both. He trained Olympic athletes (medal winners) in track and field so I can assure you that he knows what he is talking about. Being an avid health and fitness person myself, I was impressed when I found out that Boston's trainer was Poliquin. An similar analogy would be like having Bela Karoloyi as your trainer in Gymnastics. Now I do agree that Poliquin shouldn't direct any statements towards the NFL in the methods they implement in evaluating players or any statements concerning the NFL period, but I feel that he is just frustrated with all the negative attention given to Boston's conditioning and he is trying to lend credibility to his training regimen. It doesn't help that Boston is a gym rat who employs one of the best trainers available and the fact that he is a WR. I just wonder if all the steroid rumors would persist if he played LB or DE. Look at Jevon Kearse (THE GATOR). He was called Da Freak at Florida because of his ablility and his physique. At this year's combine, everybody talked about how buff Greg Jones was. They aren't WR's and you never heard of any "steroid" talk at all.

http://www.charlespoliquin.net/index.htm

His football clientsFOOTBALL

ARIZONA CARDINALS'
Adrian Wilson
Thomas Jones

DENVER BRONCOS
Rob Moore

BUFFALO BILLS
Jerry Ostroski

GREENBAY PACKERS
Na'il Diggs

HOUSTON TEXANS
Jabari Issa

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Ehan Brooks

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
David Boston

OAKLAND RAIDERS
Chris Hetherington

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
Jimmy Redmond

NOTRE DAME
Julius Jones

ACTORS:
Snoop Dog
Paul Reubens (Pee wee Herman )
Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean):confused:

DOLFANMIKE said:
You have no idea how tempting it would be here to completly humiliate you by comparing who's done what. :lol:

Wow. Thats impressive. So if I understand you right you took some classes on how to build up your body. That after school activity you went to far outways 20 years of coaching football, Coaching in and off season training, going to coaching clinics for 20 years, being certified in First aid, CPR, and a licensed fitness intstructor (Nationally), as well as having an AA, BS, Masters Degree (Kinesiology), and state coaching license.

I think you know where you can stuff your couch potato. :roflmao:

I was certified in CPR, First Aid in my High School Academy and? I was already a certified trainer by 19 and? I have my aa, bs, masters in Chemistry and? I'm also sculpt, I can for a living but its a talent I was born with and? I perfected my training to the body I was born with which led to success and?

What difference does it make, no need to show off which was very unprofessional of you. Sounds as professional as a shopping center Janitor.

DOLFANMIKE said:

ROFL.... I just read up on couch athlete and I just wanted to piss you off bro. I wanted to make you seem like some mindless beer drinking football fan. Calm down.... Mr couch Athlete

juniorseau55 said:
I was certified in CPR, First Aid in my High School Academy and? I was already a certified trainer by 19 and? I have my aa, bs, masters in Chemistry and? I'm also sculpt, I can for a living but its a talent I was born with and? I perfected my training to the body I was born with which led to success and?

What difference does it make, no need to show off which was very unprofessional of you. Sounds as professional as a shopping center Janitor.

Actually, the point I was hoping you'd get is that you might want to be more careful about all the name calling and insulting that you do. It makes you look like a kid in High school. You may actually be talking to someone that knows more than you do.

juniorseau55 said:

With all due respect bro.....
You veered off the discussion and insulted someone that is bringing up VERY valid points first. You for some reason felt you had to call him a "couch athlete" in an attempt to lessen the validity of his opinion and justify your viewpoint.

Trekbiz said:
With all due respect bro.....
You veered off the discussion and insulted someone that is bringing up VERY valid points first. You for some reason felt you had to call him a "couch athlete" in an attempt to lessen the validity of his opinion and justify your viewpoint.

Any Humor? I guess now a days we can't bring any humor to the table.

DOLFANMIKE said:
Actually, the point I was hoping you'd get is that you might want to be more careful about all the name calling and insulting that you do. It makes you look like a kid in High school. You may actually be talking to someone that knows more than you do.

I don't worry about if someone knows more and knows less because I share my ideas.

Justasportsfan said:
http://www.charlespoliquin.net/index.htm

His football clientsFOOTBALL

ARIZONA CARDINALS'
Adrian Wilson
Thomas Jones

DENVER BRONCOS
Rob Moore

BUFFALO BILLS
Jerry Ostroski

GREENBAY PACKERS
Na'il Diggs

HOUSTON TEXANS
Jabari Issa

BALTIMORE RAVENS
Ehan Brooks

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
David Boston

OAKLAND RAIDERS
Chris Hetherington

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
Jimmy Redmond

NOTRE DAME
Julius Jones

ACTORS:
Snoop Dog
Paul Reubens (Pee wee Herman )
Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean):confused:

Now lets look at the productivity of these players lately.

Adrian Wilson- Last year dropped in tackles, sacks, and interceptions(0). Even got benched one game by the CARDINALS.

Thomas Jones- Last year was his best year with 627 yards. Had three starts and flashed better skills than previous years, but was number 7 pick overall and still couldn't beat out Pittman until Bucs were out of it.

Rob Moore- Career is over, may be due to age but still hasn't done anything since before O.J. McDuffie time.

Ostroski- Hasn't been a probowl guard and has been on some of the worst lines in the league the last couple of years.

Diggs- Consistant performer that hasn't cracked 100 tackles yet. Seems a lot like Greenwood and Rodgers; consistant but not spectacular.

Issa- Hasn't played a full season in career. Missed 9 games in two years and has totaled only 5 starts. 1 sack in career.

Brooks- Been in the league for 6 years, dont know a lot about him. Backup tackle behind Odgen and Brown.

Boston- went over him already, career has stalled since gaining weight.

Hetherington- backup fullback who has totaled 11 starts in 8 year career. 5 came in one season due to injury to starter. Career journeyman.

Redmond- WR for Jaguars that has been in the league for three years but only played last year. 3 receptions in career.

Julius Jones- 2nd round pick by Dallas Cowboys and hopeful franchise runningback. Hasnt' done anything in NFL yet so production is to be seen.

Snoop Dogg- Hopefully this is a recent thing. Think about it. Do you want this guy in control of your NFL players if he is the trainer for Snoop Dogg???

So he hasn't proved anything in terms of NFL players. Most successful in career has been Rob Moore and he had an average career as a possesion reciever. Boston had his best year before he gained the weight.

Kistner10 said:

Adrian Wilson- Last year dropped in tackles, sacks, and interceptions(0). Even got benched one game by the CARDINALS.

Thomas Jones- Last year was his best year with 627 yards. Had three starts and flashed better skills than previous years, but was number 7 pick overall and still couldn't beat out Pittman until Bucs were out of it.

Rob Moore- Career is over, may be due to age but still hasn't done anything since before O.J. McDuffie time.

Ostroski- Hasn't been a probowl guard and has been on some of the worst lines in the league the last couple of years.

Diggs- Consistant performer that hasn't cracked 100 tackles yet. Seems a lot like Greenwood and Rodgers; consistant but not spectacular.

Issa- Hasn't played a full season in career. Missed 9 games in two years and has totaled only 5 starts. 1 sack in career.

Brooks- Been in the league for 6 years, dont know a lot about him. Backup tackle behind Odgen and Brown.

Hetherington- backup fullback who has totaled 11 starts in 8 year career. 5 came in one season due to injury to starter. Career journeyman.

Redmond- WR for Jaguars that has been in the league for three years but only played last year. 3 receptions in career.

Julius Jones- 2nd round pick by Dallas Cowboys and hopeful franchise runningback. Hasnt' done anything in NFL yet so production is to be seen.

Snoop Dogg- Hopefully this is a recent thing. Think about it. Do you want this guy in control of your NFL players if he is the trainer for Snoop Dogg???

So he hasn't proved anything in terms of NFL players. Most successful in career has been Rob Moore and he had an average career as a possesion reciever. Boston had his best year before he gained the weight.

Why is this information relevant to anything, you must be one of those stat junkies. He is there to train them physically not mentally for a game.

Kistner10 said:

Hey Kistner,
from reading your post, it seems that you are making Poliquin out to be a football trainer. I'm sure you can go to his site and look up his credentials. The point is, he isn't an rb coach, a lb coach, a wr coach, etc. He isn't some football fundamentals guy at all. He trains people for strength/conditioning. Look up exercise physiology/kinesiology. Just like strength/conditioning coaches for athletic teams. If anything, look how big and lean Boston is and he's still fast. Boston HIRED him for his reputation as an expert in strength/physiology because he (Boston) is into nutrition and working out which almost everyone knows, not to catch more passes. Someone else questioned why Poliquin isn't a trainer for an NFL team if he is so good. People come to him and hire him because he has credibility in his field. Football is but just one sport of many and he works with several different kinds of athletes in different sports. Why would he just limit himself to football, working with 1 team and incorporating methods that were reinforced by the team and not just his. How many NFL strength/conditioning coaches have half the credentials of Poliquin? Remember when Evander Holyfield hired Lee Haney to help with building up his physique? He didn't hire Haney to help with being a better boxer. Have you heard of Dr. James Andrews? He is one of the best if not the best of Orthopaedic surgeons for athletes and you read all the time how injured star athletes (football especially) get second opinions from him on injuries, that he performed the surgery himself, or that he even did the follow-up surgery b/c the original surgery performed by someone else wasn't effective. He doesn't limit himself to being just a "team doctor". Hell, he doesn't need the NFL. He is a pioneer in his field and I can only hope you know where I am going with this. Bottom line, it isn't Poliquin's job to make a football player catch more passes, block better, tackle better, etc. - he isn't a position coach for football. If Boston wasn't getting the desired results he (Boston) wanted when he hired Poliquin, don't you think he would discontinue his services? To suggest that Poliquin isn't a good trainer because the above players you mentioned weren't stars is a joke. I wish some of you guys would think before you put up a post.

juniorseau55 said:
Why is this information relevant to anything, you must be one of those stat junkies. He is there to train them physically not mentally for a game.

How is this information relevant to anything?????? MMMMMMM well if all the players haven't gotten better under him as a trainer than MMMMMMMM I guess he shouldn't be telling the Dolphins and the NFL how to run their teams. If the Dolphins want Boston at 230 than Boston should get down to 230 unless Poliquin has proven that players perform better under his system. And 55, this isn't being a stat junkie, this is getting information to help provide proof for everyone's arguement that Poliquin shouldn't be telling teams how to run their teams. Would you like to show us anything that makes Poliquin NFL successful??

"Hey Kistner,
from reading your post, it seems that you are making Poliquin out to be a football trainer."

The whole point is to prove he ISN'T a football trainer so he shouldn't tell the Dolphins what weight he should be if the Dolphins want him to lose 10 pounds.

"Boston HIRED him for his reputation as an expert in strength/physiology because he (Boston) is into nutrition and working out which almost everyone knows, not to catch more passes."

I'm hoping Boston wants to work out so he can become a better football player, he only gets millions of dollars to do it. He also says he hired Poliquin to help him become a better football player.

"Bottom line, it isn't Poliquin's job to make a football player catch more passes, block better, tackle better, etc"

Once again you are proving everyone's point. If he isn't trying to help a football player out than he shouldn't tell teams how to run their teams.

"I wish some of you guys would think before you put up a post."

I think I put a lot of thought in my posts by PROVING my points. This is a one sided arguement because you and 55 haven't shown anything to show that Poliquin is proven enough with "NFL" athletes to tell teams how to run their teams.

Kistner10 said:
How is this information relevant to anything?????? MMMMMMM well if all the players haven't gotten better under him as a trainer than MMMMMMMM I guess he shouldn't be telling the Dolphins and the NFL how to run their teams. If the Dolphins want Boston at 230 than Boston should get down to 230 unless Poliquin has proven that players perform better under his system. And 55, this isn't being a stat junkie, this is getting information to help provide proof for everyone's arguement that Poliquin shouldn't be telling teams how to run their teams. Would you like to show us anything that makes Poliquin NFL successful??

"Hey Kistner,
from reading your post, it seems that you are making Poliquin out to be a football trainer."

The whole point is to prove he ISN'T a football trainer so he shouldn't tell the Dolphins what weight he should be if the Dolphins want him to lose 10 pounds.

"Boston HIRED him for his reputation as an expert in strength/physiology because he (Boston) is into nutrition and working out which almost everyone knows, not to catch more passes."

I'm hoping Boston wants to work out so he can become a better football player, he only gets millions of dollars to do it. He also says he hired Poliquin to help him become a better football player.

"Bottom line, it isn't Poliquin's job to make a football player catch more passes, block better, tackle better, etc"

Once again you are proving everyone's point. If he isn't trying to help a football player out than he shouldn't tell teams how to run their teams.

"I wish some of you guys would think before you put up a post."

I think I put a lot of thought in my posts by PROVING my points. This is a one sided arguement because you and 55 haven't shown anything to show that Poliquin is proven enough with "NFL" athletes to tell teams how to run their teams.
Listen to what you're saying. You don't go to college to be a football trainer. There isn't a degree in football physiology or football science. He is considered an expert in his field, the same track that other strength and conditioning coaches in the NFL followed in college and is giving his expert opinion regarding weight and injury concerns. He is supporting Boston because he believes in what he does. I agree like I said in a different post that he shouldn't tell the NFL how to do things but he is an expert who is defending Boston's situation regarding his conditioning and I think he is more qualified than any of Miami's staff in that particular matter.

Yeah to be a better overall player (better athlete in regard to strength, speed, and stamina) but not in football fundamentals. You can be a trainer and help make Sammy Sosa hit the ball harder/farther which would make him a better batter b/c he might hit more home runs with his improved strength but you can't teach him how to hit a curveball plus its not your job as a trainer to teach him how to hit a curveball.

Again, he isn't telling the NFL how to run their teams, he is defending the conditioning of his client and questions how the 40 time and bench press of 225 for reps is enough of a determinate of how you judge somebody's athleticism. Even football coaches and "football experts" say that you can't judge a player by his 40 time and they bring up Rice time and time again.

He is proven as a TRAINER and look up his site. He trained Olympic medalists. A lot of athletes have been track stars in college or train in track in the offseason ala Don Beebe used to do. James Jett was a burner but couldn't catch a cold - was it his athletic trainer's fault? An athlete is an athlete and they learn the fundamentals of their trade from their position coaches/coaches. Their strength trainers don't make them better football or baseball players per se. They make them better overall athletes. By the way, WHO is PROVEN to tell NFL teams how to run their organizations? The owners, GM's, and coaches will run a team how they WANT to run it. Are they experts on physiology? Miami wants Boston to lose weight b/c they THINK that it will cut down on his injuries. Yes they pay his check and can do what they want to do even by not listening to an expert that isn't employed by them. Being critical of Poliquin's comments regarding the NFL is understandable but to discredit or question his credentials as an athletic trainer of professional athletes makes me wonder if you DID put a lot of thought in it.

Back
Top Bottom