merged:Boston's P.T. says NFL's training methods are moronic./trainer: Boston is in s | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

merged:Boston's P.T. says NFL's training methods are moronic./trainer: Boston is in s

DOLFANMIKE said:
So how does his resume speak for him working with NFL players? Please explain. I'm not aware of any NFL player that he has worked with that has had a noteable season......Don't say Boston because Boston has gone downhill since going to this guy on the Football field.

David Boston choose his own path as a football player and don't give me the american crap for blaming on it for someone. It doesn't matter if he has a resume with nfl players, he's had a resume with world wide athletes. He is not incharge of David Bostons Conduct. Davids Focus on Bodybuilding has taken his focus on football off the chart. Getting back to the realistic view, nutrition and training methods change because of the way the human body evolves and thus new research comes out with scientific proof. Boston has actually improved physically but not as a player. He has put on pounds and he has become faster.

Trekbiz said:
And you seem to be missing the point that it's not JUST fans that disagree with him. :rolleyes:

It is strength trainers and coaches in the NFL that disagree with him as well.
Yes Boston's trainer does training for a living........ great....... so do the NFL strength coaches correct? :lol:

I don't know who is right in this. However, I do know that if a group of people that are hired by NFL teams to keep their players in the best FOOTBALL shape they can be in all seem to disagree with a trainer that is outside of the NFL then maybe, just maybe you have to consider that he could be wrong. Maybe it's just me.

There are different strength and body building routines for every single sport and for different positions within a sport as well. Just becaue Poliquin knows how to build bodies dosen't mean his theories are best for and NFL athlete.

For some reason you seem to be a huge fan of this guys which is fine, but you are ignoring the possibility that he may in fact be FOS!

Nfl Strengh Coaches cannot measure to the height of Charles. They are more like savvy personal trainers. Charles has a huge center in California that has thousands and thousands of raw medicine books. He isn't just a trainer, he has 2 masters of science and has coached, trained gold medalists. Charles has been a pioneer in the way we train today with proven and effective workouts. He was written a couple of books. You dont know how big the competition compares for a world class athlete to a football player. They get ready to perform their best every 4 years and train so hard that you cannot imagine. Your comment about him being a muscle coach is just a shell way of looking at things. Yes through proven muscular/exercise physiology you will have success building a great physique and that takes science, his own research, methods and proven nutritional regimes. He's a step above any strengh coach out there. They do different work than Charles.

Trekbiz said:
Improper training for a specific activity can hinder performance, cause stress to wrongly trained areas and cause injuries.
That's the debate that is raging here. Poliquin's training techniques versus what NFL strength coaches feel is correct NOT whether Drew Brees is a good QB or not.

Who said Charles Training isn't proper? When he preaches muscular recovery in every article he writes. One of top things that a bodybuilder has to worry is about muscular recovery. Charles does not believe in over training.

However a point that I might make. Remember when the dolphins played the Jaguars in the playoffs. Jimmy Johnson overworked those players in practice and look at how horrible their performance was. Now that happens with lots
of teams and coaches like Marty Schotenheimer who implement such techniques and affect the players performance.

When it comes to personal training, Charles Poliquin is considered top-notch.
Could Boston lose weight without losing speed? Yes. IMO, it would depend on what muscles are "leaned out". If you "leaned out" the muscles that are used for running, then you are risking a loss of speed. Ricky Williams, I would assume, had more fat to lose, thus the speed increase.

juniorseau55 said:
Who said Charles Training isn't proper? When he preaches muscular recovery in every article he writes. One of top things that a bodybuilder has to worry is about muscular recovery. Charles does not believe in over training.

However a point that I might make. Remember when the dolphins played the Jaguars in the playoffs. Jimmy Johnson overworked those players in practice and look at how horrible their performance was. Now that happens with lots
of teams and coaches like Marty Schotenheimer who implement such techniques and affect the players performance.

I think the point people are trying to make is not that this Poliquin guy isn't a good or even great trainer. I am sure he is. But I don't necessarily think he is a great FOOTBALL trainer. Facts are facts. And the facts are ever since David Boston started working with this guys he has become a great looking physical speciman, but his FOOTBALL production has slipped. And he has become more injury prone. I am sorry, but I will believe the FOOTBALL trainers on this one, not some guy who train bodybuilders. Just my 2 cents.

pigskinguy said:
I think the point people are trying to make is not that this Poliquin guy isn't a good or even great trainer. I am sure he is. But I don't necessarily think he is a great FOOTBALL trainer. Facts are facts. And the facts are ever since David Boston started working with this guys he has become a great looking physical speciman, but his FOOTBALL production has slipped. And he has become more injury prone. I am sorry, but I will believe the FOOTBALL trainers on this one, not some guy who train bodybuilders. Just my 2 cents.

Who said he is a football trainer? How can you compare an Nfl strengh coach with Charles? Do you even know what you are talking about? Since when does he trains Bodybuilders in a full time basis? Do you know that he has trained athletes that have been his customer for a while and through his guidance he has won gold medals? Do you know that no strengh coach in the nfl has such an extensive educational background?

Again, whoever is making these points have no points to make. He isn't a good trainer? what are you guys trying to pull out of your butt. What facts are facts? not the facts that you people are making. I really doubt you people know who Charles Poloquin is. You have made him look like an idiot and your opinions are based out of what you think and they aren't professional opinions but his opinions are cause he knows what he is talking about unlike the posters in this thread.

His opinions are more valid than any that you make because its his career and when you are talking about exercise physiology, nutrition, interval training and muscular therapy for a while now and written books, worked with athletes around the world that have won gold medals, then you can't go wrong. David Bostons Focus has been bodybuilding and thats his own choice, he hired Charles to do his job and he has done it. David Boston gets his football training from the team he plays for.

please talk about facts when you know them ... or know who Charles Poloquin is. It is very ridiculous of you people to make these stupid statements.

juniorseau55 said:
Who said he is a football trainer? How can you compare an Nfl strengh coach with Charles? Do you even know what you are talking about? Since when does he trains Bodybuilders in a full time basis? Do you know that he has trained athletes that have been his customer for a while and through his guidance he has won gold medals? Do you know that no strengh coach in the nfl has such an extensive educational background?

Again, whoever is making these points have no points to make. He isn't a good trainer? what are you guys trying to pull out of your butt. What facts are facts? not the facts that you people are making. I really doubt you people know who Charles Poloquin is. You have made him look like an idiot and your opinions are based out of what you think and they aren't professional opinions but his opinions are cause he knows what he is talking about unlike the posters in this thread.

His opinions are more valid than any that you make because its his career and when you are talking about exercise physiology, nutrition, interval training and muscular therapy for a while now and written books, worked with athletes around the world that have won gold medals, then you can't go wrong. David Bostons Focus has been bodybuilding and thats his own choice, he hired Charles to do his job and he has done it. David Boston gets his football training from the team he plays for.

please talk about facts when you know them ... or know who Charles Poloquin is. It is very ridiculous of you people to make these stupid statements.

Did I say he wasn't a good trainer? No. In fact if you bothered to even read my post you would see I said he probably is a great trainer. What I am saying is training to play football and training for other sports is different. And him saying football trainers methods are moronic is kinda shortsighted on his part. What works for the kind of athletes he trains does not necessarily work for football players. Obviously you have a love for this guy which is fine but read my post before you go off on me buddy.
My God dude, relax.

juniorseau55 said:
David Boston choose his own path as a football player and don't give me the american crap for blaming on it for someone

Getting back to the realistic view, nutrition and training methods change because of the way the human body evolves and thus new research comes out with scientific proof. Boston has actually improved physically but not as a player. He has put on pounds and he has become faster.

Blaming and evaluating are two different things. The fact is that Boston has had health issues as well as psychological issues since using your hero as a trainer. That is simply a fact whether you like it or not. Football people only care about what has PROVEN to work in the sport of football. There is alot more to the training in this sport than low body fat and muscle.

Strength training for athletics is only valuable in the context of the sport. The Dolphins are not a weight lifting team, nor are they marathon runners. Too much emphasis in one area of training will leave you deficient in other areas. Overall fitness, specific to the needs of football is their priority. There are several elements that make up your overall levels of fitness.

They are:

1. Muscular strength
2. Cardiovascular Fitness
3. Nutrition
4. Specificity of Skills
5. Rest and Recovery

As far as your comment "nutrition and training methods change because of the way the human body evolves and thus new research comes out with scientific proof".....you are way off the mark son. The human body doesnt evolve that fast. Xmen is just a movie. What changes training methodology is new knowledge, new research, new practice that produce better gains. Not human evolution......

DOLFANMIKE said:
Blaming and evaluating are two different things. The fact is that Boston has had health issues as well as psychological issues since using your hero as a trainer. That is simply a fact whether you like it or not. Football people only care about what has PROVEN to work in the sport of football. There is alot more to the training in this sport than low body fat and muscle.

Strength training for athletics is only valuable in the context of the sport. The Dolphins are not a weight lifting team, nor are they marathon runners. Too much emphasis in one area of training will leave you deficient in other areas. Overall fitness, specific to the needs of football is their priority. There are several elements that make up you overall levels of fitness.

They are:

1. Muscular strength
3. Nutrition
4. Specificity of Skills
5. Rest and Recovery

As far as your comment "nutrition and training methods change because of the way the human body evolves and thus new research comes out with scientific proof".....you are way off the mark son. The human body doesnt evolve that fast. Xmen is just a movie. What changes training methods is new knowledge, new research, new practices that produce better gains.

Careful dude, Or Junior will go off on you too. :lol:

pigskinguy said:
Did I say he wasn't a good trainer? No. In fact if you bothered to even read my post you would see I said he probably is a great trainer. What I am saying is training to play football and training for other sports is different. And him saying football trainers methods are moronic is kinda shortsighted on his part. What works for the kind of athletes he trains does not necessarily work for football players. Obviously you have a love for this guy which is fine but read my post before you go off on me buddy.
My God dude, relax.

I'm not just bothered by your post but by the rest of the posts. It seems that the nfl strengh coaches are still going by old methods that seem from the past because of people like Charles, they have innovated the exercise science and body physiology how it is today. Read the book winning arms race lol.

juniorseau55 said:
I'm not just bothered by your post but by the rest of the posts. It seems that the nfl strengh coaches are still going by old methods that seem from the past because of people like Charles, they have innovated the exercise science and body physiology how it is today. Read the book winning arms race lol.

Fair enough. But all I am trying to say is some of his methods-as good as they may be- MIGHT not necessarily translate as well to the football field. And the only reason I say that is because of Boston's drop in production and spike in injuries since becoming involved with Poliquin.
It's like I said earlier in this thread.............A baseball hitter can't really help a cricket hitter and vice versa. It's two different sports and two different ways of hitting.

DOLFANMIKE said:

Strength training for athletics is only valuable in the context of the sport. The Dolphins are not a weight lifting team, nor are they marathon runners. Too much emphasis in one area of training will leave you deficient in other areas. Overall fitness, specific to the needs of football is their priority. There are several elements that make up your overall levels of fitness.

They are:

1. Muscular strength
3. Nutrition
4. Specificity of Skills
5. Rest and Recovery

As far as your comment "nutrition and training methods change because of the way the human body evolves and thus new research comes out with scientific proof".....you are way off the mark son. The human body doesnt evolve that fast. Xmen is just a movie. What changes training methodology is new knowledge, new research, new practice that produce better gains. Not human evolution......

Coming from someone who has probably been a couch athlete. Who said that I meant the body grows like a mere movie? Our body doesn't evolve but what I meant to say is how each of our bodies develop. Development is the process as you achieve muscular gains. You are developing your body by stimulus, stimulating the muscle tissue. That is just a fraction of everything when you have to keep in mind about recovery rates and nutrition and rest. Training I have competed up until 2 years ago in the IFBB so I know what I'm talking about.

pigskinguy said:
What I am trying to say is some of his methods-as good as they may be- MIGHT not necessarily translate as well to the football field. And the only reason I say that is because of Boston's drop in production and spike in injuries since becoming involved with Poliquin.

I'll take it a step further....I think some of the NFL trainers, who have more expertise at training NFL players for NFL action, are concerned that some of Boston's training activities are hurting him as a player.

pigskinguy said:
Fair enough. But all I am trying to say is some of his methods-as good as they may be- MIGHT not necessarily translate as well to the football field. And the only reason I say that is because of Boston's drop in production and spike in injuries since becoming involved with Poliquin.
It's like I said earlier in this thread.............A baseball hitter can't really help a cricket hitter and vice versa. It's two different sports and two different ways of hitting.

His training methods are excellent for gaining bodymass. There won't be another way for him to train any athlete if the athlete does not follow his
regime. Boston has done this to himself and he has been a bad football player off the field and never wants to pratice with his teamates. He found a mini-camp a mere tough task when this isn't even the beggining of how the dolphins train during the week. Poliquin isn't training boston for football he was training him for body mass. Doesn't that make things clear?

DOLFANMIKE said:
I'll take it a step further....I think some of the NFL trainers, who have more expertise at training NFL players for NFL action, are concerned that some of Boston's training activities are hurting him as a player.

That is a good point mike. He has been wanting to build a physical frame that does not translate well into the playing field but more of a bodybuilding floor. He doensn't have a symmetric body by any means. He has a long way to go if he wants to bodybuild.

Back
Top Bottom