Merged:Fascinating read on overcriticizing play-calling/Wanny not prepared? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Fascinating read on overcriticizing play-calling/Wanny not prepared?

ThunderCane

CANE NATION
Reaction score
Wanny not prepared?

I do not like Wanny and my previous post prove that. I always complained that Wanny did not prepare the team well enough to put our players in postion ti win. Then there are people say that the players do not execute...well here is a great article that might shed a little more light on the subject.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2504768

"It isn't just what you call and when you call it, but the time you put into it during the week of trying to be on the money of how you think they're going to play you," Patriots coach Bill Belichick says. "If you are game-planning something that they don't do, and they do something else and execute it well, they have you in a box. You're in trouble. You have a bunch of bad plays that don't work well against what they're doing. You'd have been better off not practicing that week rather than practicing and being so tied up in a bunch of stuff that never even came to pass."

Fascinating read on overcriticizing play-calling

From The Sporting News' Dan Pompeii:

Playcalling is all about preparation

Some interesting tidbits:

There may be no more convenient punching bag than the play-caller of a struggling offense. We call for his head, make him the butt of our jokes and scrutinize everything from his ****eyed headset to his pattern of speech.

:eek: Wow. Sound like anybody we know?

But the truth is the play-call has a lot less to do with the success of a play than the preparation.

Play-calling is ridiculously overrated.

That's his basic premise. Later on, he throws in this nugget:

Even more critical is assessing the opponent during the week and putting together a game plan that can take advantage of weaknesses, offset strengths and prepare for most reasonable possibilities. The crux of game-planning is anticipating what an opponent will do. If the coaching staff anticipates poorly, the play-caller isn't left with enough options to call the right plays at the right time.

This is where the Foerster/Trestman/Collier triumverate will have a profound effect. Collier, before stepping down a rung from OC, spoke of the need to do this very thing. And I don't think the reshuffling will change this.

I sincerely believe Norv Turner had a great deal to do with our "beating a dead horse" style of play-calling last year.

Time will tell.

Mods ... you might want to merge this. I love the fact that a Wanny supporter and a Wanny detractor are using the same article for ammo! :lol:

:roflmao: Well if we are booth using the same article to support are point. Only proves one thing. All we want is to win!!!

Hello, I'm DrAstroZoom, and this is ThunderCane ... welcome to "Point-Counterpoint!" :roflmao:

You are definitely correct in our shared goal of winning!

Ha, that proves that Bellichick doesn't know squat . I like the Gilbride School of thought. One size fits all. Game plan and stick with it even if it isn't working on gameday.

It's a good read, but what's the point???

All HC's prepare at some level. Some more than others. I think Wanny does a fine job preparing this team. Sometimes we see some bone head calls, but when those same bone head calls turn into a huge play, they're no longer criticized....

I'd like to see some more diversity on offense when things aren't working, but then you take the added risk of getting out of your original game plan. If you make running the ball successfully your main priority, you should stick with it even if it's not working. If you don't, you're game plan is out the window...

It all depends on the game, and the situations that present themselves as the game moves forward....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Justasportsfan said:
Ha, that proves that Bellichick doesn't know squat . I like the Gilbride School of thought. One size fits all. Game plan and stick with it even if it isn't working on gameday.
Exactly...Why run the ball on 3rd and short? Why run the ball when we have an injured #1 wr, and only 2 #3 WR's to throw to? Why run when we have a great run-blocking line and a poor pass protecting line? Yes Justa, us Bills fans have no idea how lucky we were to have a genius like Kevin Gilbride on our side...I for one will miss his game adjustments, playcalling, etc. :(

ThunderCane said:
I do not like Wanny and my previous post prove that. I always complained that Wanny did not prepare the team well enough to put our players in postion ti win. Then there are people say that the players do not execute...well here is a great article that might shed a little more light on the subject.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2504768

"It isn't just what you call and when you call it, but the time you put into it during the week of trying to be on the money of how you think they're going to play you," Patriots coach Bill Belichick says. "If you are game-planning something that they don't do, and they do something else and execute it well, they have you in a box. You're in trouble. You have a bunch of bad plays that don't work well against what they're doing. You'd have been better off not practicing that week rather than practicing and being so tied up in a bunch of stuff that never even came to pass."

Thunder, I am not trying to be sarcastic, but since when did 2 missed FGs, 1 a few minutes left in regulation and 1 in OT, that would have won the first NE game= poor game planning? :confused:

Or 2 missed blocks on Indi's Feeney, in the last O drive= poor game planning? :confused:

Or a missed block by the TE in the 2nd NE game= Poor game
planning? :confused:

Or a dropped ball from CC in the Phili game in the 4th quarter, than JF's next pass is intercepted= poor game planning? :confused:

My guess it's poor execution on the players part, but not game planning...

Better execution on 2nd and 3rd downs would have not lead to all thoes plays listed. Better execution would have lead to more scoring attempts from the red zone. In addition, making thoes FG attempts much shorter.

As Atila put it...

Atila said:
plan and prepare better and practice better = better execution

Disnardo said:
Thunder, I am not trying to be sarcastic, but since when did 2 missed FGs, 1 a few minutes left in regulation and 1 in OT, that would have won the first NE game= poor game planning? :confused:

Or 2 missed blocks on Indi's Feeney, in the last O drive= poor game planning? :confused:

Or a missed block by the TE in the 2nd NE game= Poor game
planning? :confused:

Or a dropped ball from CC in the Phili game in the 4th quarter, than JF's next pass is intercepted= poor game planning? :confused:

NO! It's bad talent assessment. That's been fixed. :D

ThunderCane said:
Better execution on 2nd and 3rd downs would have not lead to all thoes plays listed. Better execution would have lead to more scoring attempts from the red zone. In addition, making thoes FG attempts much shorter.

As Atila put it...

What?????? Mare hits those type FG's 90% of the time, what are you talking about, I'd say tlhis, if our team wasn't prepared, we wouldn't be in a position to win any thing at the end of the game...recognized...this team is well coached. And please don't talk about practice=execution...everyone knows Wanny made this team run 2 minutes drill when they didn't want to. He places emphasis on ST practice, he does the little things to give this team the edge..so find another escape goat..players blew their assignments or dropped passes or threw int's. or missed blocks and on D missed tackles, they were in the right positions, but sometimes they executed badly..that's on the players...

Back
Top Bottom