Merged: Haloti Ngata | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Haloti Ngata

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Disappointed in Haloti Ngata

I was REALLY psyched to get a look at Haloti Ngata tonight during the Oregon-Oklahoma game and I just have to say, I'm very disappointed.

Ngata is big. Very big. Not fat, but big. We get that. Supposedly he runs fast in the 40 but trust me when I said he by no means looked like it.

Here are the main points I did not like.

1. He's got NO pass rush. None. Whatsoever. Nada. Zero. Can't penetrate. Larry Chester incarnate.

2. He ties up two blockers but those two blockers can handle him and redirect him. And, toward the second half, he was getting blocked well in SINGLE blocks by Chris Chester.

3. When he gets turned around, he GIVES UP. Just doesn't even continue the play. There's no fight in him whatsoever. He is a LAZY player. He never pushes his position or hustles toward the ball.

4. He was without a doubt the slowest defensive lineman off the ball on the Oregon Ducks defensive line. You could watch each snap and you'd see all three other linemen punch forward quicker than Ngata. THEY got pass rush. THEY penetrated the lanes in run blocking. Ngata only did so when single blocked, and usually ended up falling for a trap block of some sort.

5. At 6'5" he has trouble getting underneath the pads of the offensive linemen that are blocking him...from the nose position. He played pretty much the same position all night that he'd play in Miami's D, and let me tell you in comparing him with Keith Traylor, there's NO comparison. You would think Ngata could look even more dominant there since he's just going against college players where Traylor goes against pros. Not so. When he played traditional nose, straight over the Center's grill, he got handled for the most part. When he played off-nose, like he would in our D, he did ok at times, usually took up a double on run blocking. When he took the 2-tech though, is when he penetrated more against a single guard but was usually susceptible to traps and geting turned around. In other words, in the Pros I think I would project him as a 2-tech guy, not a fit for our defense. Maybe a fit for our OLD defense. At his height if he's going to play nose he'd have to be able to penetrate like Manny Wright can. He can't. And, you can't play 3-tech if you're a crappy pass rusher.

Overall I have to say I walked into this game thinking one thing, and walked out thinking a completely different thing. Ngata seemed lazy, wasn't around the ball, wasn't penetrating or disrupting the pass or the run...only times he made plays were when Peterson came right at him. When I heard about his athleticism I had in mind this Warren Sapp type guy who could penetrate the pocket but he can't do that. He's no Warren Sapp by a long shot.

The most messed up part? Adrian Peterson started getting back on track in the second half while Ngata was in right. The OL started beating down the DL and they scored two TDs. Then Ngata gets injured and sits out the rest of the game...and I swear to god, his replacement was more high-energy (like the rest of the Oregon DL) and they actually started getting a better charge against the run WITHOUT Ngata in the game. They stopped Peterson when they had to and got it to where they basically could have won the game had they not been fielding a Leaf at quarterback (raise your hand if you didn't see that last minute game-losing interception coming from a Leaf in San Diego...I mean, come on).

Overall I'm very down on Haloti after this game. It isn't just a bad game. He was giving up on plays. No hustle. Lazy. I never want to see that even if you're not feeling April Fresh today.

Am I saying he's no longer a first round pick? No. You have to keep in mind the freak factor. He's a freak by the numbers. A freak by the numbers who gets lazy can always end up having a coach rip the mickey out of him and stomp that laziness out of him through good old fashioned butt whupping and conditioning. Or, he can end up being the same player. You don't know. Shawne Merriman disappeared on film a lot too. But right now, I'm not sure I take Ngata with the 15th pick. I might try and concentrate on people that could help us in other positions...like Michael Huff, Laron Landry, Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans, maybe one of the OTs, of course Jay Cutler (or even Vince Young)...and quite possibly Claude Wroten.

We dont really need a DT imo anyway with are two young guys coming in next year. We for sure dont need any LAZY players. Imagine what he'll be like when he's gettin paid top dollar. Another problem thats what it'll be.

FuturePhin said:
We dont really need a DT imo anyway with are two young guys coming in next year. We for sure dont need any LAZY players. Imagine what he'll be like when he's gettin paid top dollar. Another problem thats what it'll be.

I'm sure Saban could motivate him not to be so lazy but the question is, for a top 15 guy, do you want to be having to do that? I know Greenway might not fall to us, but I'd rather draft a guy who has the mentality Saban adores.

Because of how he played in tonights game I think he has a real shot at falling to us. Although Ngata didn't impress me, I think that if he has any work ethic whatsoever he can become a very good player. He has one thing you can't teach.....SIZE! He's 6'5 350 lbs :eek: and has good speed for his size. I don't think he's an every down player (no need to put him in on 3rd and long) but with that said, I wouldn't mind if we draft him in round 1 because we still need some youth on the d-line.

CK... you think he was injured? I didnt see alot of the game, I was payin attention to the Heat-Pistons game...

I agree with you that he was unimpressive (the parts that I saw, I was switching to that game from the Heat game just to watch Ngata)... but from all I have heard about him, I cant believe that tonight was the norm.

I know I havent got to see this kid play alot, but the guy I saw tonight, and the guy that I have read about in many scouting reports seemed like 2 completely different people... I think he had to be hurt, or sick, or something...

BTW, any Oregon fans out there that watch him play alot? What do you guys think of him? Was this just a bad game for him or does he usually play like that.

there have been reports about his work ethic before and its been whispers here and there about him being lazy...this is not the first time...if he doesnt step it up he is looking at the second or worse third round

I think you hit with the "freak factor" part of it. What George Young used to call The Planet Theory. He'll be selected before we pick, in MY opinion, based on his physical package and potential to be great. Another thing that has been getting so many scouts to focus on him has been the success of the last king sized DL out of Oregon, Igor Olshansky, who has started from the get go for the Chargers.

ckparrothead said:
I'm sure Saban could motivate him not to be so lazy but the question is, for a top 15 guy, do you want to be having to do that? I know Greenway might not fall to us, but I'd rather draft a guy who has the mentality Saban adores.

If he loved the game, nothing would have to motivate him. Saban works wonders with people, yes, but heart has got to be questioned UNLESS he was sick, hurt, etc. If he doesnt have the heart why draft him? He could just say heck with it like D. Underwood.

Dr.Rad said:
Nice post... I think Oregon as a whole looked disinterested to be there.

Kinda like Cal did vs Tech last year after they were left out of the BCS. I really didn't concentrate on the line play, but Rhett Bomar and Peterson could end up being a great Qb/Rb combo at Oklahoma, if Bomar can ever find a way to avoid the big hit, and Peterson stays healthy. Clemens has been hurt for a bit for Oregon I believe, and if he's healthy I think they blow Oklahoma out, and should be a BCS team.

SackArtist said:
Because of how he played in tonights game I think he has a real shot at falling to us. Although Ngata didn't impress me, I think that if he has any work ethic whatsoever he can become a very good player. He has one thing you can't teach.....SIZE! He's 6'5 350 lbs :eek: and has good speed for his size. I don't think he's an every down player (no need to put him in on 3rd and long) but with that said, I wouldn't mind if we draft him in round 1 because we still need some youth on the d-line.

Why would you waste the #15 pick on somebody who wont play every down? Were not talking about a 2nd on down pick, this is supose to be a piece of our foundation. We cant afford to blow picks.

Oregon only gave up 8 yards on 8 carries to Adrian Peterson in the first half. I can't remember what part of the 2nd half Ngata was injured but Peterson ran wild in the 2nd half.

PhinSoldia said:
there have been reports about his work ethic before and its been whispers here and there about him being lazy...this is not the first time...if he doesnt step it up he is looking at the second or worse third round

oh man! while I am now not so high on taking him in the first... if this beast slipped to us in the middle of the 2nd... run to the freakin draft booth and turn in the card with his name on it as fast as you can! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom