Merged: Haloti Ngata | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Haloti Ngata

FuturePhin said:
Why would you waste the #15 pick on somebody who wont play every down? Were not talking about a 2nd on down pick, this is supose to be a piece of our foundation. We cant afford to blow picks.

I haven't watched enough of him to say he's not an every down guy, but at his massive size I think that's pretty tough to do. But even if he's not an every down player it's still a great advantage to have a hog like him in the middle of your defense. He's the prototype nose tackle. There is not one lineman that can push him backwards to create room for runningbacks. Opposing teams would have a very hard time running on us with Ngata. It's not important for a guy like him to get sacks, it's important for him to stop the run and create 3rd and long situations.

djfresh47 said:
Kinda like Cal did vs Tech last year after they were left out of the BCS. I really didn't concentrate on the line play, but Rhett Bomar and Peterson could end up being a great Qb/Rb combo at Oklahoma, if Bomar can ever find a way to avoid the big hit, and Peterson stays healthy. Clemens has been hurt for a bit for Oregon I believe, and if he's healthy I think they blow Oklahoma out, and should be a BCS team.

watch out for oklahoma to be in the top 15 at least next year

Im telling you all this now if I had a pick between Adrian Peterson and Reggie Bush Id take Peterson hands down

Ngata was very very unimpressive I only heard his name called once making a tackle, I didnt even realize he was there half the time, It sucks that Clemens couldnt play but truthfully Oregon should have won regardless

There has to be something wrong with the guy, he's a monster when he's healthy; a guy that gets push into the backfield as well as disrupting the running game.

We'll see what happens at the combine.

Anyway, with his measurables and strength, combined with his immense bone structure you've got to figure that he can be coached to his best game. After all, look at Manny Wright; no one wanted him until the 5th round, and his beginning here was as rough as any I've seen. Yet now we're talking about him as being a significant part of the team for a long time.

I think Saban would see something in Ngata that didn't show up in this bowl game (unfortunately).

I only saw a handful of plays in the game, but he imressed me in the ones I saw.

One play in particular he was on the backside of a stretch running play and he totally blew the play up by pushing to his way to the runner.

NaboCane said:
I think Saban would see something in Ngata that didn't show up in this bowl game (unfortunately).

Maybe its fortunate

If he is a great player but his stock drops and we snag him thats good

you've got to remember Ngata was double teamed all night.

I mean, Ngata is a consensus first team all-american, and the only defensive lineman on Oregon worth mentioning.

I saw him fight through a couple of double teams and hit Peterson in the backfield.

DT is the hardest position to jduge. Ngata plugs holes and gets penetration a lot, but you've also got to look at other factors. The fact that they double teamed all night shows me he had an impact on the game (if you think AP would run up the middle like he did late had Ngata not been double teamed, your dead wrong)

You know, I don't even know why I try anymore. I try to upgrade the content in the main forum from the usual drivel and garbage, and when I do, my thread gets moved elsewhere.

Haloti Ngata is a guy that was projected for Nick Saban to draft. In the post I conclude that Ngata would probably not fit Saban's system.

Thank you for deliberately watering down the main forum by moving threads that don't have mindless banter about "Hey how do you guys feel about Channing Crowder? I like him!!" Way to go. Really doing a great job there.

yeah this thread does seem of VIP-quality, which is probably why the mods were scared to keep it in the inferior forum

Great post CK. It's EXACTLY what I've been saying all along.

BTW, this was not an "off night" for Ngata at all. This was very much a typical, normal game for him. He's good for a few nice plays a game, the rest of the time he's invisible.

"He's nasty"

"He's going to revolutinize the position"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude is soft, plain and simple.

well the good thing is that his poor performance last night won't affect his draft stock AT ALL

he might as well just stick around for another year

ChambersWI said:
you've got to remember Ngata was double teamed all night.

I mean, Ngata is a consensus first team all-american, and the only defensive lineman on Oregon worth mentioning.

I saw him fight through a couple of double teams and hit Peterson in the backfield.

DT is the hardest position to jduge. Ngata plugs holes and gets penetration a lot, but you've also got to look at other factors. The fact that they double teamed all night shows me he had an impact on the game (if you think AP would run up the middle like he did late had Ngata not been double teamed, your dead wrong)

I didn't see double-teams ALL NIGHT at all. I focused on Ngata on every play. At first he was double-teamed. By virtue of the position he plays, he would be double-teamed in the NFL. The standard of a good NT in the NFL is not simply getting double-teamed. You have to have success against the double team as well. He was getting HANDLED by the double team. And guess what, in the second half, they stopped double-teaming him so much, and that is when their ground game started hitting on all cylinders...when they started single-blocking Ngata which left another lineman free to pave some creases for Peterson.

Sometimes Ngata made them pay for the single blocks. Most of the plays brought up in this thread were occasions like that. But, he really only made them pay for the single block I would estimate three times (his two tackles, plus like one other time where he disrupted the play). The rest of the time, Peterson was busting loose and the Sooners were scoring two 3rd-quarter touchdowns. Then the interesting part is when Ngata left the game, Peterson had a few more decent runs, but all in all that is when the Oregon D started STOPPING the Sooners offense and giving their own offense a chance to win the game.

What was alarmingly apparent to me is that the only service that Ngata does for the Oregon DL is take up two blockers which affords their other talented DL men to dominate. But, when the Sooners figured this out and started blocking Ngata with just Chris Chester, Ngata didn't present himself as a serious enough threat to force the Sooners to go back to the double-team. It's like a guy who tries to rob a store with his hand in his pocket like its a gun and he's got everyone scared until someone gets brave enough to knock the robber's hand out of his pocket and they all discover that he doesn't really have a gun there.

I was alarmed by Ngata. He's not a finished product at all. He's got potential because of that "Planet Theory" but right now, I think Manuel Wright in his limited playing time has shown that he's a more valuable DL than Ngata so I have to wonder if it would be worth drafting him #15.

Here's one thing that is both inexcusable and undeniable. Ngata was almost always the last defensive lineman to engage the offensive line on any given snap. No first step worthy of note whatsoever. Even if your job is to stay home at the line of scrimmage and tie up two blockers (which appeared to be the case), you still need that good first step to get leverage so you can dictate position, not have the linemen dictate position to you.

I just don't think he showed me anything there that made me say hey, this is a guy that can play the nose for us. And, if he's not the NT, there's no point putting him in this attacking penetrating style of defensive line when the guy isn't an attacker or a penetrator.

ckparrothead said:
You know, I don't even know why I try anymore. I try to upgrade the content in the main forum from the usual drivel and garbage, and when I do, my thread gets moved elsewhere.

Haloti Ngata is a guy that was projected for Nick Saban to draft. In the post I conclude that Ngata would probably not fit Saban's system.

Thank you for deliberately watering down the main forum by moving threads that don't have mindless banter about "Hey how do you guys feel about Channing Crowder? I like him!!" Way to go. Really doing a great job there.

I fully agree with what you are saying. I know there is a seperate board for college/draft. But, consideringwe are 2 days from the end of the season, what else is left to talk about for the Phins. At this point discussing the merits of how a top draft pick that has been talked about fitting Saban's style, actually performed, should be worthy of the main board.

I guess the main board is only reserved for talking about QB's.

I watched the Heat/Pistons game last night at a buddy's place so I wasn't really able to switch back and forth even though I was VERY interested in seeing Ngata myself. When I finally switched to the game was exactly when he was walking off injured. This morning I logged on here specifically for this; to read analysis on how he played/looked. I was disappointed I didn't get to see even 1 play of his but when he walked off the field my mouth dropped; the guy is just HUGE.

Well I must say to call the Oregon D Line bad is IMO a terrible thing to say.

They were all over Bomar, they were botteling up Peterson (a Healthy one) and they forced us to throw more.

But I think after they lost Ngata, they went down hill luckliy for us, and the Adrian found his groove :D

caneaddict said:
I fully agree with what you are saying. I know there is a seperate board for college/draft. But, consideringwe are 2 days from the end of the season, what else is left to talk about for the Phins. At this point discussing the merits of how a top draft pick that has been talked about fitting Saban's style, actually performed, should be worthy of the main board.

I guess the main board is only reserved for talking about QB's.

I watched the Heat/Pistons game last night at a buddy's place so I wasn't really able to switch back and forth even though I was VERY interested in seeing Ngata myself. When I finally switched to the game was exactly when he was walking off injured. This morning I logged on here specifically for this; to read analysis on how he played/looked. I was disappointed I didn't get to see even 1 play of his but when he walked off the field my mouth dropped; the guy is just HUGE.

Very big guy definitely. It just disturbs me when a DL doesn't show effort. I don't think that's Saban's style on D. If you look at his DL in LSU he never really had the huge truckload guy like Ngata...he had all energetic, active, effort guys that penetrate and use their hands. That is what draws me toward Steven Fifita of the Utah Utes. He is impressive despite his 6'0" stature. He uses his hands, he moves like a jitterbug, heck I even saw that 6'0" 322 lbs man (who looks alarmingly like Gilbert Brown) put a SPIN move on offensive linemen...on multiple occasions! It's like he doesn't know he's a short stocky kind of DT that should be tying up blockers. But he's a load in pass rush man, gave the Georgia Tech OL fits. And it really impacted me when I learned that he was the MVP of the Fiesta Bowl last year, and he deliberately set out to repeat that performance this year and if I'm not mistaken I think he had 2 sacks in the game and was generally a force in pass rush. Talk about a guy that turns it up when it matters most.

Back
Top Bottom