Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Hey Boomer / Boomer on Day 1

Thanks BOOM, love ya' baby! If Ginn is totally 100% healthy on his pro day or at the combine, he freaks people out and Calvin Johnson doesn't seem so in-human, but Ginn would not have lasted until #9, and not be a dolphin today. Cameron and Mueller had Beck rated ahead of Quinn, by the way and had told private sources of this, on Wednesday.

Oh my god Boomer, what do you know? You just have the Fins talking on your ear, telling us what we want to hear. Who is drinking the koolaid. Blah, blah, blah. Maybe some people can read the facts and stop creating rediculous posts, after rediculous posts, after rediculous posts. Read his thread, the facts are right there. But most wont, and still consider Ginn a "punt returner" and still consider Beck the next "Weinke".

if Ginn had not gotten hurt, we would never have had a shot at him

Bingo, who knows what kind of game he would have put up against Florida . . . it was obvious that Troy Smith was lost w/o his weapon to stretch the defense, out of the game. He may have returned another kick as well . . . plus we are talking about a guy who was expected to challenge the combine record 40 time. A stupid act by his teammate after he returned the opening kickoff in the BCS game may have been a blessing for this team in disguise . . . because if all of the above holds true . . . I think Ginn could have been a top 5 pick . . . still the 2nd WR . . . but he would have been a top 10 lock IMO.

Boom is right, and Ginn is an absolute X-Factor, just like Reggie Bush. How do you not see that? The only difference is that Bush is handed the ball 20 times a game, and Ginn has to run and get the ball. He can line up all over the field, and every time hes on the field, the opposition has to account for him. He has to potentially to break a big play every time he touches the ball. Screens, reverses, options, lining up at QB, HB, WR. It just bring another dimension, and unparalled felxibility.

I also like the Booker pick. I think he's a very good change of pace back, and on screens and out of the shotgun, he can make things happen on third down. I also think he has to be back there on kickoffs with Ginn. All of this talk about his speed and making people miss, how can you not have him and Ginn back there, giving the Phins a serious double barreled threat back there every kickoff.

I think it was a very solid first day. Now let's go and get some defensive help.

Bingo, who knows what kind of game he would have put up against Florida . . . it was obvious that Troy Smith was lost w/o his weapon to stretch the defense, out of the game. He may have returned another kick as well . . . plus we are talking about a guy who was expected to challenge the combine record 40 time. A stupid act by his teammate after he returned the opening kickoff in the BCS game may have been a blessing for this team in disguise . . . because if all of the above holds true . . . I think Ginn could have been a top 5 pick . . . still the 2nd WR . . . but he would have been a top 10 lock IMO.

Kdawg could it be you are my long lost twin brother?:D

Oh my god Boomer, what do you know? You just have the Fins talking on your ear, telling us what we want to hear. Who is drinking the koolaid. Blah, blah, blah. Maybe some people can read the facts and stop creating rediculous posts, after rediculous posts, after rediculous posts. Read his thread, the facts are right there. But most wont, and still consider Ginn a "punt returner" and still consider Beck the next "Weinke".

Why do you post here when it gives you so much heartburn.:fire:

boom u and i were both high on ginn and i really liked the pick.....i wanted quinn, had sold myself on him being the heir to marino...and was in total shock when we didnt pick him. but i love beck. ive been showing my friends the 70 yd pass he threw for a couple weeks now. as for satele i love the pick and think he may be a better fit than kalil although i had kalil rated higher...as for book, once again i wanted us to go defense and had macauley as my pick...but this guy is a str8 up playmaker and can contribute right away also

I don't know much about Beck. What current QB has his type of speed/mobility?

Reply.....

Some questions about your assessment:

1) From all of Cameron's comments about Ginn, the main reason we drafted him is for his return capabilities. That is questionable. Would the Dolphins have traded their first round pick for Devin Hester? A top 10 pick for a return man? Most of the over the middle catches Ginn made were on slot plays, quck slants and sit down routes. He has not shown the ability to go 'over the middle' as most analysts have pointed out.
I hope he proves to be a great asset to the team but if he ends up being a 3rd WR and a GREAT return man then this pick is a BUST. Do you agree?

2) John Beck. His extremely low release point is a concern. Res Grossman struggles with this same issue and he has a higher release point than BEck. NOt to mention, considering the number of people of who questioned Brady Quinn's capabilities against top flight defenses, BEck never played against one and he had trouble putting points on the board against BC and Arizona, that's right BC and Arizona. THe concern I have with this pick is that it seems like Cameron islooking for the next Drew Brees. A smallish QB with a below average arm who is accurate and heady is the exception to the rule, not the model for what you go after. I hope BEck turns out to be a Drew Brees type QB but we shall see.

3) The Dolphins could have drafted Brady Quinn - Tony Ugoh - Samson Satele - Yamon Figurs and addressed the same needs with even more emphasis ont he DOlphins most pressing needs. Not to mention, you can insert Sidney Rice, Dwayne Jarrett or Steve Smith as the 2nd pick. Phil Savage, Bill Polian and Ozzie Newsome all valued the players that I just listed. That is a lot of NFL knowledge going against who the Dolphins picked.

Everything I just wrote is strictly from a personnel perspective/opinion but one final point, from a business perspective (perhaps Huizenga's perspective), yesterday was a complete disaster. Just horrible. If the Dolphins had taken Quinn with the 9th pick, the franchise would have had the entire community filled with hope and promise. Ticket sales and marketing dollars would have skyrocketed in the short term. Every kid in South Florida would be clamoring for a Quinn jersey for at least the next 2 years. That is without him doing anything on the field, any success and the sky would have been the limit. The Dolphins had a chance to put a face on the franchise and passed.

As evidenced by Huizenga's comments yesterday, Cameron and Mueller's evaluation skills are now officially on watch, let's hope they are right and the DOlphins start to flourish, it will be disappointing if Dom Capers and the defense carry this team to 8-8 records for the next 3 years.

Interestingly, from what we know, it seems as though Miami had Beck rated #1, Quinn as 2, Kolb as 3 and then Russell, meaning that almost certainly we were the team that thought JaMarcus Russell was a mid 2nd rounder.

I will answer all of your questions ASAP.

Great start to day 2, BTW, with Paul Soliai

Which would make me wrong on Quinn. Looks like we'll have to sack our sources.

;)

Thanks Boom, I agree with you on all counts. This was a solid first day in my opinion. We filled holes that needed to be filled, and getting Beck in round two makes the Ginn pick more easily understandable...

I'm certainly satisfied with our day one picks....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Good read Boomer. You and CK never cease to amaze me with your knowledge. Keep up the good work! I was reading this forum long before I was posting in it. It was posters like you that finally inspired me to get involved here. :)

Back
Top Bottom