MERGED: Konrad Doubtful for Titans game | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Konrad Doubtful for Titans game

Konrad simply isn't dependable. Is he one of the better fullbacks? Yes. But what is the use of having him, he is continuously out for one reason or another. He needs to be let go whenever his contract is up, unless we can retain him on the cheap.

phinman1 said:
Konrad simply isn't dependable. Is he one of the better fullbacks? Yes. But what is the use of having him, he is continuously out for one reason or another. He needs to be let go whenever his contract is up, unless we can retain him on the cheap.
Konrad is one of the better fullbakcs ONLY if used as a pass catcher. He sucks at blocking, and I would be inclined to rate him as one of the worst if that were the evaluation criteria.

So, kinda like a Madedn here:
Pass catching and AWR = 90
Pass Blocking and AWR = 60

ChambOfCommerce said:
OK, so we'll rephrase...Konrad always seems to have some kin d of problem every year.

Rephrase it again - Rob played in every game and was injury free in 2002.

And who is "we". Are you speaking for multiple people?

jack said:
Rephrase it again - Rob played in every game and was injury free in 2002.
So you're Rob K. then? I recall he had some kind of injury that year, but played with it.

phinman1 said:

He's missed 6 games out of 83 due to injury. "Continuously out"? Well I guess that is subjective - just thought I would add the facts.

"retain him on the cheap" - Do you know how little $ FBs make? I would guess that it is the lowest paid position on the team, in many cases that includes the kickers.

ChambOfCommerce said:
He sucks at blocking, and I would be inclined to rate him as one of the worst if that were the evaluation criteria.

Interesting statement. Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it goes against the grain of what Dolphins coaches have said in the press, and TV announcers have said during games.

ChambOfCommerce said:
So you're Rob K. then?

?????????

ChambOfCommerce said:
I recall he had some kind of injury that year, but played with it.

All players play through minor pain and injury. He had nothing of note that year in the way of an injury.

jack said:
Interesting statement. Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it goes against the grain of what Dolphins coaches have said in the press, and TV announcers have said during games.
Come on man. I have nothing against Rob, he is a stand up guy, doesn't complain, has gotten the shaft in the pass receiving scheme, and is from Rochester (I grew up in Batavia)...but his weakness clearly is blocking, that is generally how it goes. One or the other, but hardly ever both skills. I recall Deon Dyer being our "blocker" back until Norv went with is new scheme the last 2 years.

I've always thought that Rob is an excellent fullback for us. Certainly he's a better pass catcher than blocker... but he's a tremendous catcher out of the backfield... so that's not really a knock on his blocking. I've seen many a monster block by Rob, so to say that he's the worst blocking fullback is quite a stretch. I love the fact that Konrad has been a soldier for us. We don't even remotely use him like we should... yet you never hear him complain. When his contract was up, he came back and signed with us despite the fact that we weren't throwing the bank at him, and weren't using him properly.

Every year, I hear the FO say that we're going to utilize him in the passing game... and every year they don't. If he weren't a team player, you'd be hearing him complaining all the time... and rightfully so.

ChambOfCommerce said:
Come on man. I have nothing against Rob, he is a stand up guy, doesn't complain, has gotten the shaft in the pass receiving scheme, and is from Rochester (I grew up in Batavia)...but his weakness clearly is blocking, that is generally how it goes. One or the other, but hardly ever both skills. I recall Deon Dyer being our "blocker" back until Norv went with is new scheme the last 2 years.
Konrad is a good blocker for an athletic FB and was and has alway been the starter. Dyer was talked about getting a shot under Chan Gailey's scheme, but Dyer got hurt and sucked too much at catching to ever knock Konrad off. Konrad w/not be paid as highly as he is for his position if the staff did not think he was a great all around FB.

hey i'd take Konrad any day of the week. Hes a gutsy player who wud do even better for us if it wasnt for our lame play calling. :fire:

ChambOfCommerce said:

Rob was a TB in high school and a RB at Syracuse neither of which required the lead blocking skills he now needs. His first year with the Dolphins (1999) he did not block well. He worked hard on improving, with special technique (required because of his 6' 3", long waisted frame) that Joel C. worked with him on to help him get leverage. The concept was to make, and retain, contact and seal off - as opposed to going for the pancake block that "bowling ball" FBs can do. He became fairly effective at it - good enough to hold off Dyer in Chan Gailey's FB blocking system for two years. In Norv's system he blocked for Ricky and RW put up big numbers. Despite how we all feel about RW now, he was a top running back and he personalized a photograph for Rob that said "You are the wind beneath my wings". Hardly sounds like he thought Rob's blocking sucked. There was a full article in one of the Miami papers a year or two ago on this exact topic, much of which addressed some of the things I have commented on here.

Personally, I don't think Rob's blocking could ever be compared to a Gash or Neal, but it is nowhere near as bad as you have stated.

Just my opinion.

PS: Upstate NY rocks!

jack said:
Rob was a TB in high school and a RB at Syracuse neither of which required the lead blocking skills he now needs. His first year with the Dolphins (1999) he did not block well. He worked hard on improving, with special technique (required because of his 6' 3", long waisted frame) that Joel C. worked with him on to help him get leverage. The concept was to make, and retain, contact and seal off - as opposed to going for the pancake block that "bowling ball" FBs can do. He became fairly effective at it - good enough to hold off Dyer in Chan Gailey's FB blocking system for two years. In Norv's system he blocked for Ricky and RW put up big numbers. Despite how we all feel about RW now, he was a top running back and he personalized a photograph for Rob that said "You are the wind beneath my wings". Hardly sounds like he thought Rob's blocking sucked. There was a full article in one of the Miami papers a year or two ago on this exact topic, much of which addressed some of the things I have commented on here.

Personally, I don't think Rob's blocking could ever be compared to a Gash or Neal, but it is nowhere near as bad as you have stated.

Just my opinion.

PS: Upstate NY rocks!
OK, fair enough....you have a PM

ChambOfCommerce said:

I think you're equating "good" to "devastating".

Rob is not a devastating blocker. He isn't gonna knock the slobber out of anyone's mouth. But the guy doesn't miss a block. He always negates his man (walls off). And with his athleticism and receiving skills out of the backfield, I'll take that combination any day of the week.

As for Deon Dyer, the guy got by on his college rep. Dyer was nowhere near a devastating blocker in the pros. Between the two players, Konrad was by far the better blocker. Dyer constantly missed assignments. And he didn't knock the slobber out of anyone either.

I learned in bio class last year that staph infections are bad news and you have to be careful or it could get worse. dont ask me what i learned. :goof:

Back
Top Bottom