MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him?

Screw pc bull****. Keep this garbage outta my face. Who cares if he likes dudea er chicks? Is he a beast? Thats all that matters to me. But him making a spectacle outta himself tells me he has more important things going on than becoming Warren Sapp, in which case, i dont want him on this team. Haven't we suffered enough at the hands of pc agenda drivers? Everybody on the Phins could gobble dong, i dont giveuh ****, just be a badass team. But now i get the impression that football is second on this dudes mind.

Tim Tebow 2.0 IMO.

Kid will create a media circus to whatever team he goes to. Players on said team will be forced to undergo extensive sensitivity training and excersis due to the situation presented in the locker room.

Since the Incog/Martin fiasco, this will force every GM in the league to take extra steps for security and PR purposes. Not sure what team wants to take on that task.

I do respect the man for coming out and being himself for his family and friends. But I am weary of the attention this will bring to any team.

Some will not feel comfortable sharing a locker room or showers with a gay man. Some religious types will find it "wrong" that he is gay.

You think a bully scandal is big? Wait until homophobic remarks etc are being thrown around in the locker room and/or playing field.

My question is... would you be ok with him or any other gay player playing for this team?
Would you stop being a Dolphins fan?
Why wouldn't I be? The reaction to this is incredibly overblown. There have been gay players in the league before. There have been gay players whose teammates knew were gay. The only thing that's different about this situation is that the fans know. Regarding this kid in particular, I doubt his being gay was a hugely guarded secret when he was unanimously selected to be a First Team All-American. His coach had no issue with it; his teammates had no issue with it. This nonsense that some are saying about not being comfortable in the locker room or in the showers is just that: nonsense. He took showers with his teammates in high school and college for years without a problem.

I bet he gets drafted by the Niners...lol!
...because San Francisco has gay people. That's very clever. You do know that there are gay people living in every state and every city in the country though, right?

I couldnt care less. I'd rather have a good gay football player on my team that some caveman like Incognito shoving golf clubs up female volunteers or complete wussbags like Martin. I don't care if the guy is straight, gay, bi, transexual, has a fetish for goats, whatever, as long as they can perform on the field.
I'd draw the line at the goat fetish since goats can't consent, but as to the rest... yeah. Ever notice how so very often the most outspoken anti-gay men turn out to be closeted gays?

Would definitely not. The last thing this team needs is more drama.
I'm not advocating drafting him only because he doesn't fit a need for us, but from a business standpoint, it might actually make a lot of sense for a team in a city with a large gay community to draft him if that team is having trouble selling tickets.

I think the real question is: if he became a dominant player, would you wear his jersey?
Why is that "the real question"?

Now if he was a dog killer like Vick? I said before I'd stop being a Dolphins fan if they signed Vick.
Agreed. I'd buy a Michael Sam jersey long before I'd ever buy a Michael Vick jersey. I'm hoping I live long enough to piss on Vick's grave. I have no tolerance nor forgiveness for people who abuse animals.

LAC is already making him Jackie Robinson....Jackie Robinson was a true American Historical figure. However, what also makes Robinson an amazing figure is he was a really good player.
Was Jackie Robinson's number retired by every team because he was a great player or because he broke through the barrier of segregation and disproved commonly-held stereotypes? Answer: It's the latter. Sam is attempting to do the same thing and, imo, it's of no lesser significance.

It doesn't matter but some would argue that drafting the first openly gay football player would be a distraction in the locker room.
Some once argued that black players would be a distraction in the locker room.

What an idiotic business move by this kid.
It is not appropriate nor necessary to disclose your sexual orientation to an employer, nor the country!
If I was an NFL organization I would stay clear from this draft prospect, not because he is gay, but because he is not even in the NFL and he is NATIONAL NEWS.
I guess that would be important if money was the primary motivating factor here. But clearly it isn't. This kid is attempting to break down an ugly stereotype and open a door for those that come after him. I applaud his courage. To characterize his decision as idiotic is akin to saying Rosa Parks was idiotic to have stayed in her seat because she knew she'd be arrested.

Screw pc bull****. Keep this garbage outta my face. Who cares if he likes dudea er chicks? Is he a beast? Thats all that matters to me. But him making a spectacle outta himself tells me he has more important things going on than becoming Warren Sapp, in which case, i dont want him on this team. Haven't we suffered enough at the hands of pc agenda drivers? Everybody on the Phins could gobble dong, i dont giveuh ****, just be a badass team. But now i get the impression that football is second on this dudes mind.
I don't think his actions mean football isn't the top of his priority list, I think it's the exact opposite. Apparently, there have already been rumors swirling about his sexuality for quite a while and he wanted to go ahead and put them to rest so he could actually focus on football going into the combine and the rest of the pre draft process. If his team mates at Mizzou knew, it was only a matter of time before this became a huge story, at least he controlled the time and place the story broke. Not only that but maybe just maybe the guy is an honest person and if a gm at the combine asked him if he was gay he was going to tell them the truth and that could be a possible ****storm. Get it out in the open and now he doesn't have to worry about that line of questioning, just his 40 time and how many reps he does on the bench.

My brother is gay so it means nothing to me...with that said, the 1st thing I thought when I read the article was, now every QB in the NFL will clench a little when this kid turns the corner...

Says a lot about the man that so many people already knew and no one ever spoke out to the media about it. People must really like and respect him, he's a good football player, he clearly is prideful and mentally strong to come out like this.

If anyone has a problem with this, YOUR the one with the problem.

Says a lot about the man that so many people already knew and no one ever spoke out to the media about it. People must really like and respect him, he's a good football player, he clearly is prideful and mentally strong to come out like this.

If anyone has a problem with this, YOUR the one with the problem.

So because somene disagrees with his life style now that person is the problem?

Mizou DL Michael Sam announced he was gay 2 weeks prior to combine. The NFL reacted. Here is the Dolphins reactions so far. We probably won't draft him anyway because we dont need DL, but interesting to see how it might pose lockerroom issues with some holding strong views.

2 players, 2 different reactions. Ultimately, I think they would accept as long as the player produces. I was watching some interviews of Sam and he actually seems like a strong leader type. I don't think this will affect him much like it would affect a wuss like J. Martin...

Sam beasted at the Senior Bowl. I would take him on the Phins in a heartbeat. I dont think we need a player at his position, but I wouldnt be bothered by drafting him in regards to who he likes to have sex with. Im kinda with Grimes on the issue....... I never understood why it mattered who these players like to have sex with, including Tiger Woods. Why does it even matter to other people? I just dont get the need to come out and declare that you are gay...... at least not to the media. I dont get the obsession people have with other peoples sex lives.

But, yea..... Id take him on my team. He seems like he could be a great player. Thats really all that matters.

Well at least we got rid of the boob in the front office that would embarrass us in the interview process should they decided to bring Sam in for a interview.

@jnewmant: Very good point. Perhaps he did want to get out ahead of the story. That's fine. But i just heard on bspn, that he's proud to tell his story. Which brings me back around to this pointless nonsense being a needless distraction. And that's something we have no use for. I dont care that he's gay. And if that'd be the secondary issue, then fine, but it isn't. Its his sexual preference 1st. The actual player 2nd. Nothing but a distraction.

Sam beasted at the Senior Bowl. I would take him on the Phins in a heartbeat. I dont think we need a player at his position, but I wouldnt be bothered by drafting him in regards to who he likes to have sex with. Im kinda with Grimes on the issue....... I never understood why it mattered who these players like to have sex with, including Tiger Woods. Why does it even matter to other people? I just dont get the need to come out and declare that you are gay...... at least not to the media. I dont get the obsession people have with other peoples sex lives.

But, yea..... Id take him on my team. He seems like he could be a great player. Thats really all that matters.

:lol:

i dont think he's that either...you dont want that guy in space...43 de situational rusher

i watched some videos on him last night when this mess first broke, this guy has no idea how to contain and constantly overpursues. We don't need him here and I really hope we don't pick him based on the media circus that would ensue over a lackluster talent.

Back
Top Bottom