MERGED: Minor steps into major role for Dolphins, Boston bad move? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Minor steps into major role for Dolphins, Boston bad move?

NLude33

Section 415, Row 17
Reaction score
Minor steps into major role for Dolphins

Pretty boring article, till you get to the comment about Boston, then I got mad at the writer.....

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Travis Minor has done this before.

The 5-foot-10, 205-pound running back replaced Florida State star Warrick Dunn in 1997 after Dunn finished his career as the school's all-time leading rusher.

Now Minor will try to do the same for the Miami Dolphins, stepping into the starting role in place of Ricky Williams, who stunned the team last week when he abruptly retired at 27.

His task won't be easy.

"I know that I'm not Ricky Williams. Nobody out there is Ricky Williams," Minor said. "That's not a goal for me to go out there and do like he did. But at the same time, I want to go out there and be the best player that I can be and help my team win. That's what it's all about."

Although the Dolphins have lower expectations for Minor, a speedy and undersized backup who has never started a game in three NFL seasons, they are confident he can help fill the enormous void left by Williams' departure.

"He has very good instincts," running backs coach Joel Collier said. "He has excellent speed and quickness. ... He understands the game and he plays bigger than his size. He plays like a bigger back. He's able to take on blitzers and not look like he's 205 pounds."

"I don't know what the role for me is going to be," Minor said. "I just know it's going to be more than what I've done in the past two years. I'm excited about that. Regardless of when it is, it's not important. I just know I have to step up just like a lot of other people on this team to fill a void that is huge."

The Dolphins have several other questions heading into training camp.

Pro Bowl defensive end Adewale Ogunleye remains unsigned, the quarterback situation -- incumbent Jay Fiedler or newcomer A.J. Feeley -- is unsettled, the offensive line is completely revamped, and trading for wide receiver David Boston looks like a bad move so far.

But the loss of Williams will overshadow everything else -- unless Minor can replace another star.

"We lost a great player that you can't replace with one person," Minor said. "I look at it like we're a great team, not the fact I'm going to be the guy back there getting some work. But at the same time, there's a lot of other great players on the team. We've just got to come together as a team and shoulder the load. You never know what we can do."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=1849352

Espn article said Boston isn't workin out

I thought they said he was returning to pro-bowl form and was doin everything coaches wanted him to but i guess he's not workin out for the fish.:confused:

and trading for wide receiver David Boston looks like a bad move so far.

What the hell is that writer talking about? Why would he make a comment like that about Boston and not elaborate?

No basis for his argument

This is an obvious biased column written with joy by the columnist.

He makes no claim to why the Boston move was a bad one. All the reports coming out of Miami are good right now. The man even got rid of his colored contact for Poo's sake.

Typical crap from west coast sportswriters who have never watched the Dolphins practice.

I'd have to see this to believe it. I had heard Boston struck up a pretty decent friendship with Gamble and Gamble had incorporated some of Boston's workouts into the regiment and Boston was working hard with everyone at the Dolphins facilities.

It's like a feeding frenzy. The Dolphins can do no right in the eyes of these various talking and writing know nothings. Again, if the Dolphins do well, none of these idiots will be held accountable for their doom and gloom Dolphin scenarios.

phinman1 said:
It's like a feeding frenzy. The Dolphins can do no right in the eyes of these various talking and writing know nothings. Again, if the Dolphins do well, none of these idiots will be held accountable for their doom and gloom Dolphin scenarios.

Exactlly, everyone is kicking us while were down. I just hope we prove them all wrong. I really don't care what any sports writers think because they obviously don't know there a$$ from a hole in the ground.

Yes, everybody is Dolphin bashing right now. But are they wrong?I dont think so, I se a 5-11 season coming. The bashing is deserved. the offseason was a total joke, keeping Wanny and Jay :shakeno: Marino fiasco, McMicael arrest, overpaying for a 3rd string QB, and now RW. I think any objective person would have a hard time predicting succes this season.

FinFan84 said:
Yes, everybody is Dolphin bashing right now. But are they wrong?I dont think so, I se a 5-11 season coming. The bashing is deserved. the offseason was a total joke, keeping Wanny and Jay :shakeno: Marino fiasco, McMicael arrest, overpaying for a 3rd string QB, and now RW. I think any objective person would have a hard time predicting succes this season.
How can you say that we overpayed for feely. Have you ever seen him play in a Dolphins uniform? I dont know if Im alone in this but I am getting kind of tired of pepople saying we overpayed. His record in the NFL is quite good. I was very impressed with him in the 5 games he played with the Eagles.

Noone has seen him play an NFL game in other than those 5 games and he played damn well if I say so myself.

Players leaving does not spell dissaster. I hate to brign up the Patriots but I must.

Lawyer Milloy released right before opening day. Patriots totally sucked that game, but we all know how it ended.

Don't count us out before atleast the coin toss on September 12 at 1:00 PM

If we lose the coin toss, then you could say that our season may be over, because we all know how enfuriating losing the coin toss is :fire:

If he stays healthy, Boston will be an upgrade over last years 2nd WR. He's better than Thompson. Chambers will fill the role of the big play maker if necessary. So, really all we need Boston to be is better than Derrius. I know he is so we are ok. Big question is will Derrius step up at third. He really showed nothing last year. I question keeping him around and not getting another third WR.

Its easy to say we overpaided for Feely, cause we did. Just becuase he might be good, doesnt mean you overpay. A good GM finds players he likes on other rosters and gets them cheaper. If their is a player in the draft you like but is projected 5th rounder maybe you grab him in the 3rd, not the 1st. A gm has to judge a players value aand RS quickly overpayed for Feely, than a bunch of good veterans became avaiable, terrible move.
As for 2nd round value, look at our division:
NE gets Dillon
Mia gets Feely
nyj gets Mccariens
You tell me which organization is the smartest. Hint:not the jests.

Back
Top Bottom