MERGED: NBA Ref FIXED games. MOB betting scam./ NBA concern "off the charts" | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: NBA Ref FIXED games. MOB betting scam./ NBA concern "off the charts"

Here are a couple quotes form the Simmons article...

Do you feel better now that this ref was tainted? I mean, you guys were already crying that Stern took the title from you. Now it's Stern and the ref.

Again, neither of this was brought on by the Spurs. Robert Horry should be held accountable for what he did with Nash but the rest had nothing to do with any of it.

They did what they had to. They had to then win this series, beat the Jazz, and then beat the Cavs to get the title.

Asterisk my ***. That's just a loser's excuse for not winning ala Phil Jackson in 1999.

Because Mike's a journalist, and now has plenty to write about.

Bill Simmons had a fantastic article about this on Sunday. He brought up something I hadn't noticed: remember that atrocious Suns-Spurs Game 3? The one where so many calls went for the Spurs that late in the game, when Bruce Bowen got whistled for bumping Steve Nash, Mike D'Antoni screamed "why start now?"

Well, I don't even have to tell you what ref worked that game.

That Game 3 was the crucial point of that series and set up everything that followed. Once they won that series, the Spurs were nearly a lock to win the Championship (just as the Suns would have been). Anyway, Simmons points out that Suns fans have a very legitimate gripe that they were screwed out of a game, and possibly a Championship. Not just done wrong by a couple atrocious calls (like the 1987 Pistons, or the 1995 Bulls, or the 1998 Jazz) or by generally one-sided officiating (like the 2006 Mavericks) but legitimately screwed by a crooked ref.

How do you live that down?

Are you saying that the ref fixed the playoffs so the Spurs would win it all? If so, why does everyone say they're boring and the least exciting franchise to win a title.

I don't understand why people would fix the games to the team that is least popular would win. Wouldn't it make sense for that to happen to the flashy team, like Phoenix?

How to Fix a Game

Expert Explains the Many Ways a Crooked Referee Could Fix Bets

[Editor's note:Brandon Lang, whose life story was immortalized by Matthew McConaughey in the 2005 film, "Two for the Money," considers himself the best big-game handicapper in the country. The man who gives wagering advice on his Web site, www.BrandonLang.com, is the self-proclaimed "most honest man in the business."

He never has lost a Super Bowl in his career, going 15-0-2. With NBA referee Tim Donaghy under investigation for allegedly betting on NBA games the past two seasons -- including games he officiated -- ESPN.com senior writer Wayne Drehs asked Lang to explain how sports gambling works in America and how Donaghy and his bookies might have been able to take advantage.]

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3404274&page=1

Are you saying that the ref fixed the playoffs so the Spurs would win it all? If so, why does everyone say they're boring and the least exciting franchise to win a title.

I don't understand why people would fix the games to the team that is least popular would win. Wouldn't it make sense for that to happen to the flashy team, like Phoenix?

It not that the refs "LIKED" the Spurs. And "DISLIKED" the Suns. They weren't fixing games for their favorite teams. They were FIXING games the easiest way to make money.

Although 38 foul shots to 9........that shows they went into the game with the plan on the Knicks winning and covering the 4.5. And I'm guessing about 1 quarter into the game, the ref(s) must have realized they were in trouble as NY was playing crappy and Miami was on a way to a win.....so he(they)started calling every foul on Miami to "help" NY win the game and cover.

I mean 38 foul shots to 9! WOW!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/news/columnists/nba_in_a_fix_columnists_murray_weiss.htm

This will cripple the sport for years to come! I can't wait till they expose who this is.

My guess is Bennett Salvatore. His airline ticket fraud was just the tip of the iceberg I am guessing. And now we have a reason for that "phantom foul" he gave on Dwane Wade in the Finals last year.

WHAT phantom foul? The one that had pictures posted everywhere of it actually being a foul on 3 different mavs?

As it turns out...it was Donaghy......and even more delicious...the Knicks were the recipient of a rigged game versus the Heat.

heat record with this guy officiating...1-7: so he cost us the #2 seed...possibly.

Oct. 31 vs. Bulls: Lost 108-66.
Nov. 21 vs. Hornets: Lost 101-86.
Dec. 30 vs. Magic: Lost 97-68.
Jan. 5 vs. Suns: Lost 108-80.
Feb. 5 vs. Bobcats: Won 113-93.
Feb. 26 vs. Knicks: Lost 99-93. Rigged.
March 18 vs. Magic: Lost 97-83.
April 8 vs. Bobcats: Lost 111-103.

They need to investigate this crew:

10 Ron Garretson , #13 Monty McCutchen , #57 Greg Willard

They officiated game 4 of the Heat - Bulls 1st round series in the 05'-06' playoffs. The FT disparity was 31 to 5 in favor of the Bulls. I have always felt that game was fixed. Final score was 93-87 Bulls...

They officiated game 4 of the Heat - Bulls 1st round series in the 05'-06' playoffs. The FT disparity was 31 to 5 in favor of the Bulls. I have always felt that game was fixed. Final score was 93-87 Bulls...

Sure looks fixed

It not that the refs "LIKED" the Spurs. And "DISLIKED" the Suns. They weren't fixing games for their favorite teams. They were FIXING games the easiest way to make money.

Although 38 foul shots to 9........that shows they went into the game with the plan on the Knicks winning and covering the 4.5. And I'm guessing about 1 quarter into the game, the ref(s) must have realized they were in trouble as NY was playing crappy and Miami was on a way to a win.....so he(they)started calling every foul on Miami to "help" NY win the game and cover.

I mean 38 foul shots to 9! WOW!

No I know the Spurs weren't their favorite team. I would just assume that since the Suns were the flavor of the week that if there was a fixed involved, the Suns would've been more likely to have gotten some calls to go their way.

If any other refs come out and say they were involved, the NBA could be in serious jeopardy

No I know the Spurs weren't their favorite team. I would just assume that since the Suns were the flavor of the week that if there was a fixed involved, the Suns would've been more likely to have gotten some calls to go their way.

If any other refs come out and say they were involved, the NBA could be in serious jeopardy

The REFS weren't fixing for the TV networks or for the league:rolleyes:. They were fixing for some MOB guy who just wanted easy $$$$$.

There are plenty of games just like that. In the same season there was the exact opposite on the same two teams. I would really have to go look it up, but I distinctly remember thinking that game was a "make-up" for the game they rigged the other way. I have a feeling once they dig into this, the NBA is going to be in DEEP Crap....

There are plenty of games just like that. In the same season there was the exact opposite on the same two teams. I would really have to go look it up, but I distinctly remember thinking that game was a "make-up" for the game they rigged the other way. I have a feeling once they dig into this, the NBA is going to be in DEEP Crap....

Nice try...but no.

The first two games were dominated by the heat and the Bulls just closed the gap to make the score closer than it was. Game 3 was a Bulls blowout. Game 4 was rigged to make the series close.

The Heat has regularly been screwed. We have SHAQ....every game he begins to dominate...they derail him with foul trouble. In games where he dominates...the other team has zero chance to win.

In those playoffs...SHAQ was in foul trouble throughout...we still won. Against Dallas...he wasn;t allowed to breathe.

We have been the victims of this double standard since he got here....so that is why we as Heat fans scoff at any suggestion that we benefitted from any fixed game.

We have been the victims of this double standard since he got here....so that is why we as Heat fans scoff at any suggestion that we benefitted from any fixed game.

Here is where we part company.

The FIX was coming from the MAFIA. Not from the NBA Front Office.

So, unless some fat guy named Paulie with a slice of Salami hanging out of his mouth in a basement down in the Brooklyn had it in for the Miami Heat, you can't say your the victim of anything.

The LEAGUE is the victim here. The FANS are the victims here. Not one team per say

Back
Top Bottom