Merged: Omar Jacobs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Omar Jacobs

dolphan117 said:
Other than the off the field issues, is there somthing in particular that people dont like about Vick? Just wondering.
doesn't have good size, plays in a shotgun a lot, panics under pressure, bad delivery...

dolphan117 said:
Other than the off the field issues, is there somthing in particular that people dont like about Vick? Just wondering.

The guy thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread:goof: . Just cause mike vick is his bro doesn't mean anything about him. I just dont like his atittude.

I would rank the QB's in this order:
1. Vince Young
2. Leinart
3. Vick
I would rank Brady Quinn ahead of Vick but i'm not sure if he's eligible.

I think I should be the one to say why Jacobs is NOT overrated since I started the Omar Jacobs in 2006 dealy.

1. Name one player on Bowling Green besides Jacobs that has value in the NFL.................no?........exactly. This goes the same for Vanderbilt QB Cutler but he has only 7 TD's and 3 Int's. Jacobs has 17 TD's and 2 Int's.

2. His mechanics: I dare you to look at some starting NFL QB's and tell me the didn't have awful mechanics in college or even still in the NFL. His can be corrected easy. He releases from his shoulder making it a quick, wrist snap like release. A good O-coordinator and QB coach can fix this by getting him to raise the ball higher and follow through more, which would give him a much more powerful release btw he has a huge gun for an arm.

3. Look at his rating and please tell me he is not productive or accurate. 113.0, 124.9, 97.0, 151.5.....so who should we compare that to?? ok how about Matt Leinart ok? Leinart, 138.9, 156.3, 99.8, 78.8. Who has the better rating? JACOBS!

I'm tired and don't have the time to agrue any more. Maybe tomorrow.

kastofsna120 said:
doesn't have good size, plays in a shotgun a lot, panics under pressure, bad delivery...

He is 6 feet and 212 pounds, not great size but not too bad. Its true he plays in the shotgun a lot but so did Byron Leftwich and quite a few other qbs, I havnt seem him play a tone (didnt see the last game) but I have yet to see him panic. I am not saying I wont him but he is curently the 2nd ranked qb in the league in passer efficiency. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/stats/

newlownorder said:
I think I should be the one to say why Jacobs is NOT overrated since I started the Omar Jacobs in 2006 dealy.

1. Name one player on Bowling Green besides Jacobs that has value in the NFL.................no?........exactly. This goes the same for Vanderbilt QB Cutler but he has only 7 TD's and 3 Int's. Jacobs has 17 TD's and 2 Int's.

2. His mechanics: I dare you to look at some starting NFL QB's and tell me the didn't have awful mechanics in college or even still in the NFL. His can be corrected easy. He releases from his shoulder making it a quick, wrist snap like release. A good O-coordinator and QB coach can fix this by getting him to raise the ball higher and follow through more, which would give him a much more powerful release btw he has a huge gun for an arm.

3. Look at his rating and please tell me he is not productive or accurate. 113.0, 124.9, 97.0, 151.5.....so who should we compare that to?? ok how about Matt Leinart ok? Leinart, 138.9, 156.3, 99.8, 78.8. Who has the better rating? JACOBS!

david klinger with dreads

you forgot to mention OL - Eric Winston from the U - probably one of the best out there although i havent seen a UM game this yr to see if he's recoverd from his knee injury

If you are going to list players not likely to enter the draft till 2007 as players to watch, I think you have to include Sam Keller and Drew Stanton. In fact, because of the lack of blue chip QB talent(other than Leinart) in the upcoming draft, we may see one or both of them declare early. If they do, I think either would be worthy of a 1st day pick.

True. Both of those guys would likely be 1st rounders, along with Quinn if he comes out, add Young if he declares. Looks like Young needs a lot of work, but he is an exciting prospect.

newlownorder said:
3. Look at his rating and please tell me he is not productive or accurate. 113.0, 124.9, 97.0, 151.5.....so who should we compare that to??
ok how about Matt Leinart ok? Leinart, 138.9, 156.3, 99.8, 78.8. Who has the better rating? JACOBS!

Um, trying to figure out how you list these numbers, them come up with Jacobs as the answer?????

Killswitch,

Wow, dude...after reading your impressions of Jacobs I went ahead and did not read your evaluations of all the other guys because I figure you could actually do more damage to my impressions of the other players than good.

Almost every single observation you've made was completely opposite to everything I have noticed in watching Jacobs for three games. It looks like you just watched the Boise State game and never saw Jacobs play any other game. He dissected an awesome Wisconsin defense and stayed score for score until Bowling Green's absolutely attrocious run defense finally got the best of them.

I'm not going to say Jacobs is the best or Jacobs is the man or any of that, but your strength/weakness profile of him was like, the complete OPPOSITE of the truth.

Armstrength? He has a cannon. Have YOU timed his passes? I have, thank you very much.

Accuracy? He's ultra-accurate, to the point where it is a bad thing. In the Boise State game he was throwing the ball accurately into where his receiver was, the only problem was 7 out of 10 times there was a defender there too waiting to bat down the ball.

Long Release? Wasted Motion? The guy's flick release has the least amount of wasted motion I've just about ever seen to the point of perversion. It is one of the things that make his release look so bad.

You never even hit on the guy's ACTUAL weaknesses, which are CLEARLY decision-making, footwork, and leadership....if we're talking about non-release issues. As far as the passes go, he has a cannon arm, fantastic accuracy, multiple years of top notch college production, and ideal size. That is an equation that spells first round. Wow. This review of Jacobs is so bad I think I am actually going to have to somehow keep tabs on it, maybe save it so that I can have a few words with mister Killswitch after the draft when Jacobs goes in the first round. Yeesh.

Don't get me wrong I use to be high on Jacobs' jock but the Boise State game changed my mind a little bit, and I'm not sure that Jacobs has the decision-making or mental abilities to be a successful NFL pro. He does not appear to be a very good leader either and that is not what you want to see in a field general.

dolphan117 said:
Alexander and Ricky were both born in 1977 and James was in the same draft class as Ricky.

Ricky and Alexander are compareable, Edge is a year older than Ricky.. but what im trying to say is out of all of them Ricky has the less miles on him IMO and trading for him with his contract would be better than signing Alexander or Edge to a huge deal

Ricky doesn't have less miles on him than Edgerrin. Coming out of college one of Ricky's biggest knocks vs. Edge was that Ricky has a lot more miles on him than Edge.

newlownorder said:

If you read my entire post, my whole point was that statitics aren't accurate in projecting his NFL value. The example I gave was the Boise St vs Bowling Green game. His stats were real solid, yet if you watched the game he played horrible. So, to me, his stats aren't nearly as important as people like you make them seem. Just look at his system. Look at Josh Harris, etc.

Also, i agree that there are NFL QB's with "bad" mechanics, but that doesn't mean that we can just brush off Jacobs' bad mechanics as not being a weakness. The fact is, it is a weakness. I agree that, if he is a good enough QB (if he can make reads effectively, make the right throws, is accurate, has a strong arm, etc.) then his bad mechanics are practically negligible. That was the case many scouts felt with Philip Rivers coming out of college to use a quick example off the top of my head, and hence, Rivers was the 4th pick of the draft. That's also why i said

And you say that a QB's release can be easily changed and corrected. That's ridiculous. Each thrower has their own, nautural throwing motion. Jacobs' release is extremely unorthodox, so extreme that to say it can be easily corrected is almost ******ed. It may be able to be efficiently tweaked a bit, but a QB's natural throwing motion will never dramatically change.

Back
Top Bottom