Merged: Ron Wolf Declines to Be Interviewed for GM Job | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ron Wolf Declines to Be Interviewed for GM Job

A position is open. The team owes it to itself and to its fans to explore the various possibilities. If the Dolphins WEREN'T interviewing other candidates I'd be concerned. Maybe someone else could do a better job than Spielman. Modrak is someone to be taken seriously. So is Mueller. Why wouldn't Miami at least interview them? If not impressed, THEN promote Spielman.

i can't remeber witch article i was reading yesterday but it seems to me that eddie jones plans on bringing in a GM and retaining spielman. he is under contract for one more year and has an ask permission clause in his contract.

my thoight at the time of reading was that the team would bring in wolf short term and have spielman work under him. possibbly thinking wolf would not want to stay for long.

anyway, the impression i got from the article was that it was up to spielman to stay or go.

i just can't remeber which article it was....

the article was geared towards the hiring of wolf. i think the FO knows what it has in spielman and want to find a way to keep him. it would be uncomfortable as some have stated to promote him above wanny.

my first thought is screw what others may think and too bad for wanny. he should have done a better job. it would be a shame if we let spielman go.

I know what you mean DOLFAN1. Spielman is a class act and a smart guy. If anyone deserves to be spared it's him not Wanny. But I don't think anything would change if they made him GM. Just not a good situation since he was hired by the guy he would have authority over. Hopefully they do retain him even if they get a GM.

GreenFin, Dolphan1, I would love to keep Rick and I hope the Finz find a way, but its my hunch, it won't be in a position to rule directly over Dave, even though I believe he deserves it...

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

I wouldn't be worried about the message promoting Rick over Dave would send. What I would be worried about is whether or not Rick will defer to Dave on any personnel decisions.

What we don't know is if there is any truth to the rumors that Rick wanted Boldin and Dave overruled him. You will never get either one to admit it, and all you are relying on is newspaper reporters and sports radio talkshow hosts.

I also think it is important for the new GM to make a change at QB, and I'm not sure Rick will do anything other than restructure Jay's contract and draft a young guy. If Jay starts next season, then this team is already behind the 8 ball.

What's your take on this-

"The Dolphins are seeking to hire a general manager with control over personnel decisions after taking those powers away from coach Dave Wannstedt, who was granted a two-year extension Monday despite his team failing to reach the postseason each of the past two years."

That's from today's article at the Sun. There's no mention of hiring/firing coaches power and that concerns me. Why not give that power to the GM? Sounds like Dave will still have a lot of pull and this may end up still looking very cosmetic.

The fact that Wanny will be consulting on who is brought in and that he demanded (and got) a TWO year extension in order to give up this slice of power just shows how cosmetic this all is. I believe that Ron Wolf declined the job because he said he wanted authority to hire/fire coaches and Wanny had already stated the HE would be in charge of his assistants. And I don't think he would give his blessing to a guy who would fire him in a heartbeat.

Even if you disagree with Wannstedt's decisions, you can't have a coaching staff that can't work together. Being able to work together is just as important as having good coaches. You can have the best coach at each individual position, but if they can't work together, then you have a bad mix.

Take Mike Westhoff as an example. For whatever reason, he and Dave could not work together. It got to the point where Westhoff became a divisive influence in the locker room. Dave had to make the decision to drop him despite Mike being a great special teams coach.

Plus, I think most head coaches have the authority to hire and fire their assistants.

Exactly. The "hiring/firing assistants" thing is completely unheard of. How can you, as a coach, not be giving control of such a thing??

What would you do, as a coach, if you interviewed for a job, and they told you that they were going to offer you the job, but you had to keep the coaching staff intact?

Now that I think about it, the chances that Rick becomes the GM may be pretty good. With a few GM openings, I'm not sure that many outside candidates will agree to come in and not bring their own coach with them.

Wolf declines to be considered for Dolphins job

Didn't see anything posted on this.....sorry if it's old news.

Wolf declines to be considered for Dolphins job

MIAMI - Ron Wolf declined Tuesday to be considered for a job with the Miami Dolphins, who are creating a new general manager position.

The Dolphins will interview Tampa Bay interim general manager Tim Ruskell and Buffalo assistant general manager Tom Modrak, team president Eddie Jones said.

The Dolphins stripped coach Dave Wannstedt of his authority over personnel Monday, then contacted Wolf, the former general manager of the Green Bay Packers. Wolf, who retired following the 2000 season and turned 65 Tuesday, said he was flattered but told the Dolphins he wasn't interested.

The rest:
http://www.theredzone.org/news/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=772

Back
Top Bottom