Merged: Saban considering trading up? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Saban considering trading up?

HysterikiLL said:
"Nolan has control of personnel decisions with the 49ers, and there has been speculation he might be willing to trade down from the No. 7 spot. The Dolphins might be interested in that spot if a quarterback, such as Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt, were available.
Williams, who has expressed a desire to play on the West Coast and has a sister who works in San Francisco, is one of the strongest pieces of trade bait the Dolphins might have to get from No. 16 to a higher position in the draft."

Very interesting that we could trade our 1st and Ricky for a higher 1st. I wonder if that article was written before the senior bowl, because I wouldn't want to spend our first and Ricky to effectively land Jay Cutler. I'd prefer trading with someone else and trying to land Hawk.

I read the other day that Nolan said they have absolutely no interest in Ricky williams because they already have two good RB's. And they can just draft the next LT IMO in the kid from Memphis.

Saban stated before he is looking for a --> Mobile <-- QB with a --> Strong Arm <--

Now if he came out and said that... I really fig he will look for a QB that fits that bill. He then brought in Cleo Lemon, which does fit that criteria.

I like Croyle but I really doubt we take him, more of a pocket passer.

Maybe Saban is positioning to move up and take Cutler, but recently I think he could be taken 10-15. If he really wants a new QB in camp then maybe it will not take much to move up and get him, but doubt this is where we are headed.

Vince Young is prob the guy Saban wants. Now moving up to top 3 is something to write about and would possibly be a good investment. He fits the model he wants at mobile and having a strong arm. But at what price?

If we move up I would also fig it would be for Vince. Am I hoping for it? Not sure yet.....

Depends on what we would have to give up. Vince is still a work in progress although he seems to have good potential.

Go Phins !

The Senior Bowl was Cutler's time. Did he take advantage of it? Kind of.

The same questions about him remain. His mechanics, decision making, etc. are still questions about him and they will definately need to be developed by the team that drafts him.

But one thing that everybody is sure of now is his arm stregth. He has a NFL arm with a quick release. He can get the ball out of there in a split second.

But from now and until the draft, the focus will be on Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Cutler got a lot of hype this week because he was the best QB in Mobile, and many were expecting him to "let the cat out of the bag."

It will be interesting to see what Leinart and Young do at the combines. Everybody is going to be looking forward to see Vince Young throw.

I dont think the Cutler hype is going to get stronger or be as strong as it was this week. There is still a small chance right now that he could fall to #16. Because when all is said and done teams take the players they NEED in the first round. Detroit and Arizona both have other areas they need to address. But if Saban has to, there should be a oppurtunity there for him to trade up.

PhinsRDbest said:
I think if by any chance Leinart or Young are not picked in the top 4 and the Jets pass on them we trade to the # 7 spot in front of Detroit and Baltimore.
ex.
1st-Houston-Reggie Bush
2nd-New Orleans-Vince Young
3rd-Tenn-Jay Cutler
4th-NY-D'brick Fergusion
5th-Greenbay-Mario Williams
6th-Oakland-AJ Hawk
7th-Miami(from SF)-Matt Leinart

trust me on this Tennessee Will draft leinart instead of Cutler

dominizzo said:
Lets say Miami would trade up to get top 3 pick we would have to give our 1st 2nd and 1st next year?

And then some probably.

Saban wants his QB ?

Dolphins | Saban may look to trade up in the NFL Draft
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:45:15 -0800

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports an <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl">NFL person in contact with Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban expects Miami to aggressively explore moving up from 16th in the draft to select a quarterback, which will be very difficult. That person said Saban would be willing to open next season with QB Gus Frerotte if he can somehow achieve his goal of moving up.

Hm, I wonder who this guy thinks Saban likes. I am always a little suspicious when a reporter claims to have inside info on the Mind of Saban.

it has to be in reference to Cutler. The price for Leinart and Young is way too steep. I don't believe any reporter has some sort of inside scoop with Saban.

id rather not trade up too much. isnt the falcons backup qb a FA, you think miami should look at him, he played pretty good when vick got hurt.

Does anyone think that Cutler's stock may have dropped a bit after a not-so-good performance at the senior bowl?

Obviously Sabans response to any inquiry about upgrading our team is always something along the lines of "im willing to explore anything that benefits the future of this football organization" Pretty much the same thing he said about T.O. I wouldnt look into it too much.

Back
Top Bottom