MERGEDX2: Pats tag Cassel | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGEDX2: Pats tag Cassel

But you do understand that Cassel's salary goes from 500,000 to no less then 15 million with a tag.

Actually, I believe a lot of teams will be looking for a QB this off-season.

Obviously Detroit but they've been looking for one for the past 50 years.

Tampa Bay never seems to be satisfied and with their new regime I could see them looking to upgrade.

Carolina might be looking to replace Delhomme.

The Jets will after Favre retires but no way does Cassel end up in New York.

Kansas City needs a QB but I don't see them trading the 3rd pick.

Minnesota is in desperate need of a QB.

San Francisco.

Chicago if they want to move on from the Rex Grossman/Kyle Orton experiments.

Disagree on a good deal of that. Bears have Orton which makes me believe they will target someone in the draft because Orton did a good job last season. The position is'nt excatly dire.
Did you see Jackson's numbers at the Vikings when he was re-instated as the starter? Was playing great football but you maybe right the Viks could bite as not many people seem to like Jackson.
49ers have a good QB in Shaun Hill and will be picking early in the draft. I dont see a re-building organisation pulling the trigger and wasting draft picks when they have other needs.
KC are in the same boat Thigpen did a great job for a bad team last term season but the key here is a re-building team wont waste picks on a QB when they have greater needs on D.
The Panthers really fancy their second QB Mat Moore so I think Delhommes replacement is already in Carolina.
Bucs could bite as they dont have a shot at the premier QB's in the class.
Jets as you said will not work out a trade for Cassell.
With a new GM, I really dont see the Lions rocking the boat and trading away draft picks. With QB being a need though a trade for Cassell would'nt be the worst option as long as its only one draft pick (their second 1st rounder).

The only teams In could possibly see takeing a chance are the Buc's and Vikes

I was thinking of a restricted FA.

The weird thing is, if he does stay with the Pats this coming season, next year he could be a rfa.

If (when) the NFL & NFLPA dissolve the existing CBA by November, 2010 will be an uncapped year. One of the provisions of that happening is it will then take six years in the NFL to become a UFA, not four, the current number.

Cassel is entering his 5th season. If brady isn't ready, he gets to start where he ended off this year. I can only imagine that will increase his value and give him even more time to prove he has what it takes.

This time next year, Pats could be in the same drivers seat, without having to tag him. Tender him at the max level and get a 1st & a 3rd for him, all while shoring up the qb position at the cost of cap flexibilty for a year.

But you do understand that Cassel's salary goes from 500,000 to no less then 15 million with a tag.

Theres no way the Patriots will pay Matt Cassel 15 million in 2009. He will most definitely be traded or a new contract will be agreed upon. People keep thinking "oh hes the franchise player now he'll get 15 million no matter what happens." This is totally false. He only makes 15 million next season if he plays under the tag. If the Patriots were to trade him, the team that's recieving him will most definitely work out a long term contract and that contract will unlikely pay him 15 million in 2009.

Another misconseption is people saying "NO WAY A TEAM TRADES TWO FIRSTS AND GIVES HIM 15 MILLION GUARENTEED FOR NEXT SEASON." Again, the two firsts thing is ONLY if someone were to sign him while he was tagged. For all we know, the Patriots might accept a 2nd and 5th for him.

Theres no way the Patriots will pay Matt Cassel 15 million in 2009. He will most definitely be traded or a new contract will be agreed upon. People keep thinking "oh hes the franchise player now he'll get 15 million no matter what happens." This is totally false. He only makes 15 million next season if he plays under the tag. If the Patriots were to trade him, the team that's recieving him will most definitely work out a long term contract and that contract will unlikely pay him 15 million in 2009.

Another misconseption is people saying "NO WAY A TEAM TRADES TWO FIRSTS AND GIVES HIM 15 MILLION GUARENTEED FOR NEXT SEASON." Again, the two firsts thing is ONLY if someone were to sign him while he was tagged. For all we know, the Patriots might accept a 2nd and 5th for him.

Unless the deal he signs with a new team has more than 15M guaranteed in the first year, or 20M plus over the first two years, he may refuse to sign it. Why should he? He's got $15M guaranteed at this point from the pats.

Unless the deal he signs with a new team has more than 15M guaranteed in the first year, or 20M plus over the first two years, he may refuse to sign it. Why should he? He's got $15M guaranteed at this point from the pats.

He wouldn't refuse to sign a big deal from another team. If he got an Aaron Rodgers type deal he'd definitely sign that. Any deal he signs with another team is going to have more than 15 guarenteed.

Tell me if I'm too far off on this...Cassel has proven he can win...in NE at least. Is it to far out of the realm of possibility that the pats would trade brady? Cassell is younger, could probably be signed cheaper, and if they auditioned Brady in the pre-season to show he's healthy, they would probably get more in return for him? Just a thought.

Tell me if I'm too far off on this...Cassel has proven he can win...in NE at least. Is it to far out of the realm of possibility that the pats would trade brady? Cassell is younger, could probably be signed cheaper, and if they auditioned Brady in the pre-season to show he's healthy, they would probably get more in return for him? Just a thought.

As a Pats fan, I would hope they would never do that. Shades of the Sox & the Babe Ruth trade.

Others have mentioned it, and BB does have the track record to show he can pull the trigger on dumping the franchise qb (Kosar, Bledsoe), I'd hope it never enters his mind.

The past history was the reason it came to mind. Seemed somewhat logical to me.

Brady stay`s. come on people get carried away with numbers
cassel has moss,wes,gaffney,watson,7th rushing attack and a probowl ol compared to david patten,troy brown,wiggins and alot of jag,around 20th rushing attack and posted similar numbers a sb win.

Smart move? It was the only move they could make.

Brady stay`s. come on people get carried away with numbers
cassel has moss,wes,gaffney,watson,7th rushing attack and a probowl ol compared to david patten,troy brown,wiggins and alot of jag,around 20th rushing attack and posted similar numbers a sb win.

...and last but certainly not least:
CoolClips_hand0016-1.jpg

Cassel has proven he can play at a high level in NE. They tagged him so he now he comes in at a 15 million dollar salary which is about twice the expense of Brady. Brady has a solid 4yrs left in front of him if he is healed propperly. It is in the best intrests to trade Brady, if he can pass a teamphysical. He is much more attractive trade bait and garnish much more return in terms of draft picks.

I am a little unclear about franchise tags, perhaps someone can explain this to me. If a team tags you, you can not leave the team even if another team beats the tag offer, but the team that tagged you can trade you as long as the offer includes the tag price that comes with being tagged or the player agrees to less then that amount? Is that how it works?

Cassel has proven he can play at a high level in NE. They tagged him so he now he comes in at a 15 million dollar salary which is about twice the expense of Brady. Brady has a solid 4yrs left in front of him if he is healed propperly. It is in the best intrests to trade Brady, if he can pass a teamphysical. He is much more attractive trade bait and garnish much more return in terms of draft picks.

I am a little unclear about franchise tags, perhaps someone can explain this to me. If a team tags you, you can not leave the team even if another team beats the tag offer, but the team that tagged you can trade you as long as the offer includes the tag price that comes with being tagged or the player agrees to less then that amount? Is that how it works?

No. Since the Patriots tagged Matt Cassel, another team could have signed him under the tag. The team that signed him would have given up this years and next years first round draft choice to the Patriots. Now that Cassel has signed the tag offer, he is currently going to make 15 million guarenteed next season. Thats as of right now. When New England trades him, the team they trade him to has the option to just pay him 15 mil next year and then let him walk. The more likely scenario is that the new team will sign him to a long term contract.

Now if I had asked that same question I would've gotten videos to the David Tyree catch and some other played out crap. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom