MERGEDX2: Pats tag Cassel | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGEDX2: Pats tag Cassel

So he is garunteed 15 million next year from either the Patriots or someone else. You guys actually think someone is going to give up two first round picks and 15 million dollars year for the first year of a contract for Cassel.

Patriots fans, you believe you are going to find a trading partner who is going to give you two 1st rd picks, and offer Cassle a longterm contract that includes 15 million his first year, when they can simply wait and make him a reasonable offer next year and not have to compensate the Patriots anything.

I think a more likely scenario is the they are not confident that Brady isready to go yet and are resigning Cassle as insurance or they are planning on shopping Brady around to see who the highest bidder is for him.

So he is garunteed 15 million next year from either the Patriots or someone else. You guys actually think someone is going to give up two first round picks and 15 million dollars year for the first year of a contract for Cassel.

Patriots fans, you believe you are going to find a trading partner who is going to give you two 1st rd picks, and offer Cassle a longterm contract that includes 15 million his first year, when they can simply wait and make him a reasonable offer next year and not have to compensate the Patriots anything.

I think a more likely scenario is the they are not confident that Brady isready to go yet and are resigning Cassle as insurance or they are planning on shopping Brady around to see who the highest bidder is for him.

Did you even bother reading what I wrote?

Right now, at this moment, he is guarenteed 15 million. When he is traded, the team he is traded to will MOST LIKELY (as in 100% will) sign him to a long term contract. That contract will probably be more cap friendly than 15 million in the first year. He'll probably get 20-25 million guarenteed throughout the entire deal. Why would Cassel sign this you ask when he could just get 15 mil ASAP? Because signing a longer term contract with more guarenteed money in it plus a chance to start > playing under a one year franchise tag on the Patriots bench. As for the two first round picks. No, I said in a trade. It's not a mandatory that he is traded for two first round picks. The two first round picks is only if someone SIGNS him as a free agent. The patriots, if they wanted to, could trade Cassel for a 7th round draft pick. Just wash your whole system of the two first round draft picks thing. Thats not happening.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Once Cassle was tagged as a nonexclusive franchise player those are the rules they are all binded to. If another team makea Cassle an offer and he signs the patriots are entitled to two first rd picks. There is no team out there thats going to do that and Cassle is more likely not to sign the offer sheet and yes sit on the bench one year and collect his 15 million. Remain healthy and be able to negotiate a contract on his own terms next year.

The two 1st rd picks are on the table though and you are wrong in saying they are not.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Once Cassle was tagged as a nonexclusive franchise player those are the rules they are all binded to. If another team makea Cassle an offer and he signs the patriots are entitled to two first rd picks. There is no team out there thats going to do that and Cassle is more likely not to sign the offer sheet and yes sit on the bench one year and collect his 15 million. Remain healthy and be able to negotiate a contract on his own terms next year.

The two 1st rd picks are on the table though and you are wrong in saying they are not.

Un-real. Please read what I've said. The two first round picks are ONLY DUE if a team were to sign Cassel as a free agent. In a trade, a trade, IN A TRADE, a team DOES NOT have to give up two first rounders. IN A TRADE a team could give a 7th rounder if thats all New England wanted. I never said the two first round picks were "off the table." I clearly stated in my first post that if a team were to SIGN Cassel they would owe two first round picks.

It's really not that difficult.

Face the facts, next season Cassel will be dressed in a patriots uniform to the of 15 million. They did not tag him to be able to trade him.

:deadhorse:

Did you really think we were joking when we asked if you Taintriots fans had the energy to defend the legitimacy of those rings* for the rest of your lives? There's no such thing as beating a dead horse when it comes to this. Until our sun burns out pats* fans, until our sun burns out.

Face the facts, next season Cassel will be dressed in a patriots uniform to the of 15 million. They did not tag him to be able to trade him.

If you don't think they're going to trade him your nuts! No way they keep nearly 30mil tied up in 2 QB's. he will be traded to the highest bidder...thats not the NY Jets. It won't be for 2 #1's though. Teams franchise and trade players all the time. It's better to get something for them than just let them walk.

Once he signed the tender, he cannot negotiate with another team. It's all in the Pats court now. They can negotiate with any team they want. Cassel only gets into it when it reaches the stage of negotiating a long term contract with the team the pats have worked out a deal with.

If Cassel cannot come to an agreement, then the pats have to go back to the drawing board.

IMO, Cassel will be traded before the draft, barring complications to Bradys knee. Even then, I expect the Pats would go to Guttierez or O'Connell rather than keeping Cassel at that price.

Did you really think we were joking when we asked if you Taintriots fans had the energy to defend the legitimacy of those rings* for the rest of your lives? There's no such thing as beating a dead horse when it comes to this. Until our sun burns out pats* fans, until our sun burns out.

Hey if thats what you want to devote your life to then more power to you.:up: The majority of us will look towards the 2009 NFL season and not worry about whether video taping signs gave the Patriots 3 Super Bowl wins.:1st:

Face the facts, you can't understand the franchise tag to save your life despite that I've explained it to you numerous times. You are right though, nobody ever franchises a player to trade him :rolleyes2:

Signed,
Jared Allen, 2008
John Abraham, 2006
Tebucky Jones, 2003
Joey Galloway, 2000

Once he signed the tender, he cannot negotiate with another team. It's all in the Pats court now. They can negotiate with any team they want. Cassel only gets into it when it reaches the stage of negotiating a long term contract with the team the pats have worked out a deal with.

If Cassel cannot come to an agreement, then the pats have to go back to the drawing board.

IMO, Cassel will be traded before the draft, barring complications to Bradys knee. Even then, I expect the Pats would go to Guttierez or O'Connell rather than keeping Cassel at that price.

Ok maybe I am am miss understanding something here and you can educate me. It is my understanding that there is two types of franchise tags, exclusive and non-exclusive. The patriots opted to go with the nonexclusive route, which entitles Cassel to talk to other teams. If he signs an offer sheet the Patriots have the two options. Eithier they can match the tendered offer or they can let him gobut the other team has to give up two first round picks to them. This is my understanding of how it works.

To me the implication is this:

1. They expect a team to offer Cassel an offer that is more attractive then the garunteed 14.6 million, plus willing to give up thier next two first rounders for him.

2. They tendered him because they are willing to tie up the money in him for one more year because they are not fully confident they will have a starter level QB this up coming season without him. (AKA Brady's recoveryis uncertain)

3. They feel Cassel can adequatedly replace Brady and be sucessfull and can get value out of trading him now. As absurd as that saounds. If Brady can pass a teamphysical I would think a team could alot of value for a first ballot HOF QB while he stillhas 4-5 yrs left of top play in him. This could go a long way in suring up other areas of team needs. Think Back to the 49's and how much value they could of gotten for Montanna if they traded him a few years earlier then they did and went with young.

Personally I think we are looking at history repeating its self. I think Cassel is the real deal. I think the Scott Mitchell comparison is totally bogus. Matt Cassel is not Scott mitchell. I really hope the Pats stick it out with Brady and succumb to the fans because I think trading brady is the best move they can do. Correct me if I am wrong too but as I understand it Brady is only commanding a salary of somewhere in the nieghborhood between 6-8 million. Point being that leaves lots of room for a trarding negotations. cassel will insist on being paid. Brady is already rich from endorsements this is Matts big chance to make the big bucks and is going to be ridgid in negotiations.

Yeah Matt can be tempted by signing bonuses that that come out larger then the 15 million in totality along with him being a garunteed starter. I can see that tempting him to sign on elsewhere. The big question has to be if is Brady is going to be ready this season, is he going to be ready to play a full season, is Matt as a commodity going to be a cooled off prospect in 2010, when he will he renter free agency. these few things keep me from saying flat out I believe one thing or another for certain. There is too many behind the scenes stuff being kept close to the cuff to say for certain what everyones intentions are.

I just think that just because Cassel is franchised does not mean they are doing it because they think another team will be willing to garuntee him 15 million plus and give the Patriots draft picks. I think that is the most unlikely of plausable scenerios that are taking place.

You being a Patriots fan and following it much closer then myself, I would be very intrested in hearing your opinion on how you think they are trying to play this out. The one things that hits me in the face against my ownopinion is that if they were planning on keeping him and trading Brady they should of made him an offer to extend his contract before post season instead of going the fronchise tag route.

Face the facts, you can't understand the franchise tag to save your life despite that I've explained it to you numerous times. You are right though, nobody ever franchises a player to trade him :rolleyes2:

Signed,
Jared Allen, 2008
John Abraham, 2006
Tebucky Jones, 2003
Joey Galloway, 2000

Dude FYI, the only reason I am not responding to your responses tomy posts is because if I did this thread would be immeadiatly moved to the depths. I have not shown you any disrespect and I will TY to stop attempting to disrespect my opinions because you dont agree with them.

If you would like open a new thread in the depths where we can unleash on each other, feel free to do so. Otherwise yours and mine conversation, if you can call it that is over!

Dude FYI, the only reason I am not responding to your responses tomy posts is because if I did this thread would be immeadiatly moved to the depths. I have not shown you any disrespect and I will TY to stop attempting to disrespect my opinions because you dont agree with them.

If you would like open a new thread in the depths where we can unleash on each other, feel free to do so. Otherwise yours and mine conversation, if you can call it that is over!

What are you talking about? You have replied to every single one of my posts. I tried to explain to you the franchise tag and EVERYTIME you STILL don't get it.

What are you talking about? You have replied to every single one of my posts. I tried to explain to you the franchise tag and EVERYTIME you STILL don't get it.

I get it just fine you think the Patriots tagged cassel in hopes of getting a draft picks for him. You think the Patriots will settle for alot less then two first rd picks. You also think a team is going to be willing to offer Cassel a bigger signing then the garunteed 15 million that the Patriots have comitted themselves too. You also believe that if thjat does happen it will be a big enough offer that Cassel will sign the deal instead of taking the garunteed 15 million and waiting it out one season for new offers free of compensating the Patriots. If I am missunderstanding something here that your trying to say please feel free to clarify what you think thier postion is going to be in all this.

I get it just fine you think the Patriots tagged cassel in hopes of getting a draft picks for him. You think the Patriots will settle for alot less then two first rd picks. You also think a team is going to be willing to offer Cassel a bigger signing then the garunteed 15 million that the Patriots have comitted themselves too. You also believe that if thjat does happen it will be a big enough offer that Cassel will sign the deal instead of taking the garunteed 15 million and waiting it out one season for new offers free of compensating the Patriots. If I am missunderstanding something here that your trying to say please feel free to clarify what you think thier postion is going to be in all this.

I'm not even debating what the Patriots are going to do. I am just trying to clarify the franchise tag issue with you so you are not confused and misguided. That is all.

But to answer your other points. The Patriots HAVE to accept less than 2 firsts. They never accepted that. One first, sure. A first and something conditionally high next year? Very possible. He signed his tender. Now he CAN'T be signed by another team. The Patriots have to TRADE him. They can (and probably have) grant him permission to speak to other teams about a trade. What that does, is allow him to discuss contract parameters with teams like the Chiefs, Vikings, Bucs, etc. If he can get a Tony Romo type deal this offseason, it's better than him taking 14.6Mil, which he knows hurts the team, and sitting the bench. He won't get the same type of deal next year.

You aren't understanding the franchise tag at all. That's the problem here. Let's use examples see if that helps. If the Bengals franchise tag TJ Houshmanzadeh and the Dolphins want to sign him, they can do so. TJ doesn't have to sign the tender. The tender is not guaranteed until it is signed - the flip side of that is the team can pull the tender anytime before you sign it (See Corey Simon). So the Dolphins give TJ 5 years, $60Mil, $35Mil guaranteed. In doing so, they've also given up their first round draft pick this year AND next year. Now the Dolphins do not want to do that. However they have agreed on said contract. So instead, they offer Cincy a 2nd and a 5th for the rights to TJ. TJ would then sign the tender, they'd make the trade, and when he became a Dolphin he'd sign the contract. Done deal.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom