Miami Dolphins’ Andre Branch comments on his surgery | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ Andre Branch comments on his surgery

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
branch.jpg

Miami Dolphins defensive end Andre Branch played through some injuries in 2017.
Branch announced Wednesday on Twitter that he was having surgery, and then later said it was “successful.”
Branch missed time last season with a knee injury, and when he did play, his explosiveness was limited. He tried to play through some pain and discomfort, even as he struggled to deliver the type of positive energy to his teammates that he did when his insertion into the starting lineup help change the course of Miami’s 2016 season.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...olphins-andre-branch-comments-on-his-surgery/

I hope that explains his lack-luster season. Still believe we need a high draft pick DE to pair with Harris.

I hope Branch goes back to being the solid contributor he was in '16. However, if there is a stud DE available in the high rounds of the draft, I'd pull the trigger with no qualms. Can't have too many DEs that can rush the passer, and hopefully, set the edge in this D.

Well if he was playing hurt that explains the drop off. I watch basketball a lot too, I'm a portland trailblazers fan, and last year they had a guy named ed Davis who was a lunchpail kinda guy, got by on hard work and effort on the court. Well last year he had a shoulder thing going on and he frankly sucked. I was ready to get eid of him and frankly had forgotten what value he ever brought. Well this uear he is back healthy and man what a difference. He is disruptive again, snagging rebounds ledt and right, pushing guys around to get putbacks. He is bringing so much. I'm hoping branch is another one of those cases.

He's not a scrub dude, we found out at the end of the season that he played hurt for a large part of the season which explains a lot.
Many of us already knew that.
If he plays hurt he’s a scrub, if he doesn’t play he’s injury prone and soft.

In 2016, Branch was playing at a high level to get paid millions. He got paid and regardless of injuries, he was a non-factor.

Same as Rashad Jones. He got paid millions and now he can't cover anymore.

In 2016, Branch was playing at a high level to get paid millions. He got paid and regardless of injuries, he was a non-factor.

Same as Rashad Jones. He got paid millions and now he can't cover anymore.

I don't really recall a time when Branch was playing at a "high level" or when Reshad was able to cover.

Reshad has never been great in coverage and Branch has never produced at a high level.

Andre was a good contributor in 2016. I struggled to understand why we didn't see more of the 2016 version in 2017 after the big pay raise and now we know.
He's a Dolphin for at least another year because $16.8M was guaranteed when he signed his new contract (3 yrs, $24M). Cap hit is $10M if we cut him now but $2M if he gets cut in 2019.
Branch is perhaps one of the most obvious Tannenbaum/Grier expensive underperformers from last season. The pressure is on him to lift his game significantly.

Last edited:
so with the above being said, a 2M dollar hit next year cause his guaranteed money is almost done, you could almost say this is a contract season for him. I have a feeling we will see him play lights out this year not because he's "fully healthy", but more so cause he knows 1 of three things are gonna happen at this time next year.

1) He plays lights out ( I don't consider his 2016 play lights out, but he was good for us) and he sees the final year of that 24 million contract....or we're dumbasses and extend him longer for his play in "contract" years (that could actually be a 4th possibility)

2) He plays lights out but due to us maybe needing to cut some payroll somewhere we take the 2 million dollar hit and save cap but kick him to curb. meaning he is a free agent coming off a good season $$$

3) He plays like he did this year, he's cut from team to save payroll and he has to take a pay cut to go to a team that isn't as generous as us.

granted you can say this about any player, but ones that completely over-do their normal production in contract years seem to mainly care about playing for the "F--k you money" as me and a bud coined it dozens of years ago

This is the same ole "Ireland" school of management. "Acquire a player and expect him to be something he has never been". Whether that's healthy, consistent, behaved, hard working or a great player. Branch was worth what we gave him on his first contract. He performed at the same level he had been in Jax. (He was a backup with 13 starts in 4 years). Tannenbaum rewarded him with a contract befitting a starter. He's at the top of the ladder as it pertains to percentage of guaranteed money (for non-rookie contracts). He's at 70% guaranteed.

OTC has him as the 11th highest paid 4-3 DE in the league for average yearly salary. He's on par with Jerry Hughes and Carlos Dunlop. Does anyone see him at that level?

He's not a scrub but he's a low level starter or backup at best. Jacksonville knew this (and they were a train wreck two years ago). This year his snaps will be decreased as Harris takes the job over. Then we will have a $10M sitting on the bench...if we're lucky.

Back
Top Bottom