Miami Dolphins are #1 in Red Zone Efficiency (TD %). Are big, tall WRs overrated? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins are #1 in Red Zone Efficiency (TD %). Are big, tall WRs overrated?

normaldude

Starter
Reaction score
Big, tall WRs are often promoted as great red zone targets.

But Miami has been using small WRs, and is now ranked #1 in the NFL in red zone efficiency (TD %), by a wide margin.

Are big, tall WRs overrated?
No its not overrated we just happen to have one of the best offensive minds, with one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. Miami is not the rule but the exception. These are special times folks, enjoy it .

This is a good question as teams keep throwing that 1 on 1 fade at the goal line. To me it is almost a wasted play. What is the success rate? Has to be sub 50%. Also, you're only using 2 of your players on that play. Why not open more options up. Even with big WRs defenses know how to defend it, too.

Big WRs are cool and all, but I would have to assume play calling, separation, and blocking (on run plays) have way more to do with success.

I dont like harping about Tua, and i dont know the numbers but my memory tells me Tua has been phenomenal in the red zone since he has been drafted.

Using your QB's skill to the max is a real thing... Match your weapons with your QB's strengths. Tua is so unique that this title is far from true, as I don't believe any other QB in the league can operate this offense as is successfully... McDaniel needs props here, if you're able to build an offense that only your QB can run successfully, it's a good sign you're very capable at using strengths and hiding weaknesses of alot of people simultaneously... This is ****ing hard.

Using your QB's skill to the max is a real thing... Match your weapons with your QB's strengths. Tua is so unique that this title is far from true, as I don't believe any other QB in the league can operate this offense as is successfully... McDaniel needs props here, if you're able to build an offense that only your QB can run successfully, it's a good sign you're very capable at using strengths and hiding weaknesses of alot of people simultaneously... This is ****ing hard.
One has to simply look at how this OL looks compared to last year, with roughly the same players, to get a grasp on that. They're not world beaters, but they look much improved, with a few guys many thought were hopeless.

Big, tall WRs are often promoted as great red zone targets.

But Miami has been using small WRs, and is now ranked #1 in the NFL in red zone efficiency (TD %), by a wide margin.

Are big, tall WRs overrated?
I don't think it's overrated because for many offenses it is one of few options. Some teams opt for a bigger guy dragging across the back of the EZ.

I also don't think all RZ situations are the same. Running a fade to the corner from 15-20 yards out is a viable option. Inside the 10, not so much, as the defense is packed in and a lot of receivers can be redirected with press coverage.

One has to simply look at how this OL looks compared to last year, with roughly the same players, to get a grasp on that. They're not world beaters, but they look much improved, with a few guys many thought were hopeless.
Hard to say where the improvement is coming from but the Fins have toned down from the downfield aggression a bit and it resulted in a faster time to throw figure this season... Which helps the OL alot... Last year Tua was getting pressured on 20% of his drop backs, that figure doubled when he missed time and the Time to throw fell into the average type...

Back
Top Bottom