Miami Dolphins Draft Profile: Zach Cunningham | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Draft Profile: Zach Cunningham

I want to preface this by pointing out that nobody posting on this entire board has the eye for talent that you have. Your evaluation skills are second to none around here. I noticed that years ago.

That said, I have no idea what you guys are looking at here in regards to Cunningham. There is absolutely no comparison between the quality of game tape and talent of Reuben Foster and Zach Cunningham. Cunningham's tackling flaws are glaring. All you need to do in order to guage the gap is compare the quality of the game tape between the two amongst the same opponents. Take Tennessee for example, the first two touchdowns Alvin Kamara scored against Vandy he ran through Cunningham's pitiful tackle attempts like he was paper mache on both of those scores. The first one on a carry right between the tackles and the second on a reception. Make no mistake, tackling like that will get you benched in Tuscaloosa.

The tackling issue with Cunningham is two fold in terms of grading him as a 1st round pick. First, the #1 task any linebacker must be able to execute is a tackle, and the backs in the NFL don't get any easier to tackle. Secondly, it's a flaw so glaring and costly that it shows up game after game after game for Cunningham and should've been corrected. He has trouble breaking down in order to make a proper tackle consistently. Your feet have to be under your hips in order to bring them with you and drive through a tackle. That's something I've noticed about him since he was in high school. Guys I've seen linebackers that couldn't tackle inexplicably get taken in the 1st round of the draft and the returns aren't good.

It's something that I would have to see disappear before I'd consider taking him in the 1st round. I think a kid like Cunningham is going to need at least a year in the NFL before he's ready. I felt like he needed to stay for his Senior year and clean all that up in order to be a 1st round pick.

Thanks Slimm. That means a lot coming from you.

Related, I always check my takes against yours. I don't know anyone who has matched the work you put in. If I disagree with you on something, I double and triple-check that view. I did read your previous post on Cunningham (think it's in your UC LB thread), and I can't disagree with much from either of the posts. His tackling is not good, and it needs to get better.

Based on the games I watched, though, Cunningham is in the right place at the right time much more consistently than is Foster. When Foster gets there, it's beautiful. He smacks the ball carrier, and he wraps up. Cunningham fails in both fronts too often. Before the tackle, though, Cunningham is so decisive and physical with blockers, and I don't see that with Foster. I think Foster is good/solid in this area (unlike K. Beckwith), but he either sees it slower or reacts slower than Cunningham (or it could be me missing something).

So, for me, it's a comes down to the question: is it easier to improve Cunningham's tackling than it is to get Foster to read, and fill at a level close to Cunningham? It's weird that Cunningham isn't a better tackler. I agree here, too. But, my initial thought is that Cunningham's tackling will be easier to correct. Your post has me questioning that assessment, but that's how I got there.

I agree with slimm here as well, about cunninghams tackling and J-offs eye for talent. He stays high, tries to wrap with his arms, and doesn't get enough power from his butt and hips. I'm not as worried as slimm is, however. It looks to be easily correctable and I'd imagine it already would have been at a blue chip program. But I do agree that another year would've upped his value ... but he'd probably play himself into the top 10 and out of our reach altogether so this is the year if we want him. Foster is twice the prospect he was last year. And we won't get him because of it.

I think Davis is the best form tackler and foster is the biggest hitter ... fwiw.

If I could cross two SULB's in this draft, it'd be Cunningham and Davis - Davis' speed, physicality, and tackling with Cunningham's instincts, length, and ability to shed blocks.

Good discussion, I appreciate it. How do you guys view these guys in coverage? Cunningham looks like he is fluid and has good hips. His running looks effortless to me, i.e., the type of guy who is moving with more urgency than it appears on the surface. Some LB's look like they are stressed and laboring in coverage. Cunningham seems very solid as a three down backer which is very appealing.

Good discussion, I appreciate it. How do you guys view these guys in coverage? Cunningham looks like he is fluid and has good hips. His running looks effortless to me, i.e., the type of guy who is moving with more urgency than it appears on the surface. Some LB's look like they are stressed and laboring in coverage. Cunningham seems very solid as a three down backer which is very appealing.

I think Foster looks better in coverage, and I'd guess he'll time faster (could be close). Cunningham's length is a plus, but Foster really separates from Cunningham on this front with his ability to tackle in space.

I hope we take him if he is there at 22...also hope he can make the position switch to Middle LB in the NFL...I am leaning on the side of him being more of a weakside LB, where he played in college...he does have the IQ and speed and tackling ability to play weak, I just dont know about him playing middle in the NFL at only 230 which he had to gain 15 pounds to get to...so if he were to gain 5-10 more pounds to play mike I hope it wouldnt effect his speed much...
regardless, I feel he can be a 3 down LB...if the FO felt he wasn't and would come off the field in nickel or sub packages he wouldnt be worth our first round pick...
I am not even close to being sold on Melvin Ingram coming to the team as a Strong LB....he did play LB in first 2 seasons in college before switching to DE last 2 years where he had the most success...I just think he is best suited as a OLB in a 3-4...he just have great size strength and speed at 6-2 265 4.69 but can he play Strong in a 4-3 ?

I want to preface this by pointing out that nobody posting on this entire board has the eye for talent that you have. Your evaluation skills are second to none around here. I noticed that years ago.

That said, I have no idea what you guys are looking at here in regards to Cunningham. There is absolutely no comparison between the quality of game tape and talent of Reuben Foster and Zach Cunningham. Cunningham's tackling flaws are glaring. All you need to do in order to guage the gap is compare the quality of the game tape between the two amongst the same opponents. Take Tennessee for example, the first two touchdowns Alvin Kamara scored against Vandy he ran through Cunningham's pitiful tackle attempts like he was paper mache on both of those scores. The first one on a carry right between the tackles and the second on a reception. Make no mistake, tackling like that will get you benched in Tuscaloosa.

The tackling issue with Cunningham is two fold in terms of grading him as a 1st round pick. First, the #1 task any linebacker must be able to execute is a tackle, and the backs in the NFL don't get any easier to tackle. Secondly, it's a flaw so glaring and costly that it shows up game after game after game for Cunningham and should've been corrected. He has trouble breaking down in order to make a proper tackle consistently. Your feet have to be under your hips in order to bring them with you and drive through a tackle. That's something I've noticed about him since he was in high school. Guys I've seen linebackers that couldn't tackle inexplicably get taken in the 1st round of the draft and the returns aren't good.

It's something that I would have to see disappear before I'd consider taking him in the 1st round. I think a kid like Cunningham is going to need at least a year in the NFL before he's ready. I felt like he needed to stay for his Senior year and clean all that up in order to be a 1st round pick.

Exactly!! This why my preference would be J. Davis. His game tape shows him coming downhill and making a big impact at the point of attack. Not the arm tackles exhibited by Cunningham.

I don't recall seeing Foster wait around for anything. The guy is an absolute beast - sideline to sideline or attacking LOS.

Vanderbilt is not particularly physical. Surprising since Mason came from Stanford where he was defensive coordinator. I expected Vanderbilt to become more physical and effective defensively, since they had already established that mindset to some degree. But it actually got worse in 2016, which was the highest rushing yards per play they've allowed in more than a decade.

I think Mason is spreading himself too thin as defensive coordinator as well as head coach. Those are two big responsibilities in one. I had North Carolina State versus Vanderbilt in the bowl game partially because they were simply a more rugged team. North Carolina State wasn't flashy this year but they could maul you up front.

Cunningham does so many things well I wouldn't be surprised if he became more physical and with better technique once he's in the NFL and tackling technique is more of a priority. Right now he gets there beautifully but it often doesn't mean much of anything, as others have implied. He's too high, almost like a guy who picks up a heavy object with his back instead of using his legs.

You'll definitely have some frustrating plays with Cunningham. Pinball plays.

Back
Top Bottom