Miami fans | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami fans

This team hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years (only been to the playoffs twice in that span). They haven't been to an AFC championship game in 25 years. That is a whole generation of fans who have yet to witness anything great with this team. The older folks have moved on and still have the memories of how great this team use to be and the younger folks have yet to develop that love because the team has never given them anything to love.

Combine that with the amount of transplants and November/December visitors we get in a time an age that caters to resellers . . . I mean it is not unreasonable to understand the state of the fanbase, especially locally, is in flux. Decent season tickets run at least $1000 and more than likely you are gonna have at least 2 of them. That is a good chunk of change to drop on a team that has not given anything back in recent memory.

I was there last night as well and I thought the home crowd did well enough. There was a good amount of Raiders fans but you have to expect considering the popularity of that team and the way this team lost the week before.

Dolphin games have become more about giveaway opportunities for corporate sponsers and for people to take Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat shots . . . over having a substantial love for the team.

Is what it is . . . if the team wants to change that, they need to do it on the field. As efficient as the offense was last night, you have to be damn near perfect to substain that to actually have success with that gameplan. When you have penalties and fumbles, it just doesn't work and it becomes pretty boring.

I still had a good time, but I can imagine somebody doing that every year, with the money it costs for food/parking/etc. just to come out of there dejected . . . gets old pretty darn quick.

Last edited:
This team hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years (only been to the playoffs twice in that span). They haven't been to an AFC championship game in 25 years. That is a whole generation of fans who have yet to witness anything great with this team. The older folks have moved on and still have the memories of how great this team use to be and the younger folks have yet to develop that love because the team has never given them anything to love.

Combine that with the amount of transplants and November/December visitors we get in a time an age that caters to resellers . . . I mean it is not unreasonable to understand the state of the fanbase, especially locally, is in flux. Decent season tickets run at least $1000 and more than likely you are gonna have at least 2 of them. That is a good chunk of change to drop on a team that has not given anything back in recent memory.

I was there last night as well and I thought the home crowd did well enough. There was a good amount of Raiders fans but you have to expect considering the popularity of that team and the way this team lost the week before.

Dolphin games have become more about giveaway opportunities for corporate sponsers and for people to take Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat shots . . . over having a substantial love for the team.

Is what it is . . . if the team wants to change that, they need to do it on the field. As efficient as the offense was last night, you have to be damn near perfect to substain that to actually have success with that gameplan. When you have penalties and fumbles, it just doesn't work and it becomes pretty boring.

I still had a good time, but I can imagine somebody doing that every year, with the money it costs for food/parking/etc. just to come out of there dejected . . . gets old pretty darn quick.
Well said

I have too much fun tailgating. So as long as I can walk without crutches I will go. :laugh
Being an old timer I do have to agree with you though. There is a whole generation going right now who has not had seen any success or remember any success. My son is born in 1988. He does not remember the last time we went to the AFC CG. Most of his Dolphin life is misery. Some of his friends are even younger. Hardly any of them have seen or remember the Marino years.
Now here is the kick. Pretty much all of his friends are Dolphins fans. Some of his friends join us at the tailgating, some don't go. There is some young dedicated Dolphins fan potential which is untapped right now. If I am in my mid 20s and go out party until 4 or 5 in the morning I would have no incentive to go to the Dolphins unless I get some good value and they keep me awake. A lot of young kids supplement their income for college with jobs in the service industry which can especially on a Saturday night go into the wee hours.
I cannot hold it against them if they don't feel like getting up at 8, 9 or 10 and head to the stadium unless they see a good product.

Another thing to consider is: Dolphins fans come from 5 counties. Some 20 plus years ago when I got on the road at 8am for a game the Turnpike was already filled with cars flying the Dolphins flags and tailgating equipment. They came from north of me (Boca Raton). They came from West Palm Beach, Jupiter and even Martin and St Lucie County. The ride is anywhere from 1-2 hours from these areas.
In the 90s and early 2000s I used to tailgate with seasonticket holders from the Tampa area. They left at 4am in the morning and drove back after the game. All these fans are gone. Mostly because of a shitty product.
The same can be said of Monroe County (Keys).
The untapped potential is mega down here. But having a franchise who is constantly in a 4-year project will not activate that potential.

We'll get there - one day.:laugh

It is nothing that is unique to South Florida. Want to go see a Green Bay game? Seats are super cheap right now because most of the ticket holders are placing theirs for sale on the secondary market. Why? Because they suck! RFK in the 80's and 90's had huge waiting lists for season tickets. It wasn't very hard to become a season ticket holder of the skins 5 years ago. Most of America isn't crammed into the the rust belt. No offense, but places like Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati there is nothing else to do. The big draw on a weekly basis is their sports teams. If you think the Raiders game was bad you should have attended games 4,5,6 years ago. I remember the stadium chanting "lets go Red Sox" in the middle of the Patriots game. Winning cures all. Competent management helps to win. I routinely go with my one of my sons to the game. If my other tickets don't sell I have problems finding people to give the tickets to.

So basically a thread that lumps all south Florida fans together? That's fair. As a season ticket holder for the last 15 years, I am calling bs on the notion that the home fans don't care enough or start chants you don't agree with. For the most part, that's what an Nfl game looks like. If you want a raucous crowd that will cheer blindly for a poor product, you should've bought a ticket for a college game. the out of town fans calling out the local fans is really getting old. I put my money behind the team, do you? Other than once every couple years that is?

Blame the fans for this organization being completely incompetent for two decades. Yup, that's it. The fans are the real problem with this team. FOH.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Maybe try putting a successful winning product on the field. A perennial playoff contender at least.

I'm a former season ticket holder, got rid of my seats 2 years ago when they revamped the stadium. The cost got too high and my financial situation isnt what it used to be. I miss game day alot, but dont miss driving home pissed off that we lost again. (The wins made it all worthwhile btw :) )

We have ALWAYS had strong showing from opposing teams fanbase. ALWAYS.

It's Miami, people all have a relative living down here and who wouldnt want to come to Miami in the fall/winter?

There are TONS of transplants here, we have all the northern team fans living here now, or the snowbirds, that come down every winter. And they have money to spend.

Obviously some teams draw more than others, and some teams fans are far more tolerable/friendly than others.

Unfortunately, we also have alot of season ticket holders that sell the tickets on stubhub, or the ticket exchange. Hell, I've done it on occasion because its a long trip for me to make every week, and lets face it, **** happens and you just cant make that game. But I HATED going to my seats and sitting next to a bunch of pats fans or jet fans. Not all, some were very respectful, but I've also had the drunken idiots that want to argue all day too.

We also have what I like to call the wine & cheese crowd. You know, the folks that go to the game just for the sake of saying they were at the game, even though they sat at one of the bars the entire game.

Hopefully, if we can string together more winning seasons we will have more passionate fans and fewer fans selling their tickets. But there will always be fans of the opposing teams trying to takeover the stadium, and yea, they will be loud because that is what they are there for.

That said, we have plenty of our own rabid fans, I know when I attend a game I rarely come home with my voice intact. Most folks need a reason to cheer, I'm loud because I'm just built that way, lol. Unless we are getting totally drummed, I'm on my feet for the defense every series (despite the complaints to sit down from the wine & cheese folks.)

Back
Top Bottom