Miami has a Josh Allen Problem | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami has a Josh Allen Problem

Wait you can draft multiple QBs !?!

Teams that do well against Josh Allen play aggressive defense and feature a strong pass rush / LB play. Allen has killed us, not with the big play, but with the short to intermediate passing game and with his legs.

You need to bully the bully. I'm not one to intentionally hurt someone, but when he runs, he needs to pay for it. Commit to the hard tackle and treat him like a running back. Don't play dirty....but play hard and let him know he is going to get hit.

I have seen both him and Mahomes do that fake slide move and run right by guys not wanting to draw a penalty thinking he is going to slide. Can't allow that to happen

As someone else mentioned, LB's would help. Backs out of the backfield and the TE across the middle have really hurt us with Buffalo
Exactly that

Kc brutalized Allen when he ran and he faded away in the second half

Score more. Put pressure on him to keep up with our scoring. He'll make more mistakes if he's mentally pressing. Hit him hard. Get better personel.
Allen's just a good player, and we need more good players to compete with hm. For the past 20+ years our drafting has been mediocre. We've nailed some picks, but we don't draft, year in year out, well. That keeps you mediocre. Look, it's hard to win the Super Bowl, but KC is rolling because they have the best QB in the game. New England rolled because they had the best QB in the game. QB is key. Plus, Miami has to draft better, every year, and become more physical. I hate the Ravens, but there's no team structure and philosophy I admire more. They're bullies, physical, and consistently dangerous. I'd take that prototype every time.

The thing that stuck out to me when watching the AFC Championship game was just how good the tackling of the back 7 for both the Ravens and the Chiefs was, it was rare to see the first guy miss a tackle. I was watching the Ravens LB's hit Pachecho and he stopped going forward instantly and was driven back. Watching him have 3 Dolphins to take him down and him still move the pile is a bit of an eye opener.

The defensive personnel are not nearly as good as some people think. They have been through multiple defensive co-ordinators with the same lacklustre results against the best QB's and offences. LB's and CB's need to be upgraded massively.

It's why the Jets have success against Allen, their LB's are miles better and their secondary is much better at tackling and they have 2 really good cover guys.

Yep, I see defenders pulling back instead of blasting the QB. It is ridiculous! Then the QB is out of the pocket and running, these defenders need to blast them! If someone were to hit Allen like Ray Lewis would have, Allen wouldn’t want to run anymore! I’m real tired of seeing Allen smiling after a run!
Problem is when him or Mahomes run they pull the fake slide or fake run out of bounds and the D touches him it’s a flag. It’s crap.

Problem is when him or Mahomes run they pull the fake slide or fake run out of bounds and the D touches him it’s a flag. It’s crap.
Hit them hard and they will think twice about doing it again during the game. If they want an extra yard and get cracked for it. Then they will slide or go out of bounds a yard sooner to protect themselves. I don’t mind close flag for a hit, but I do mind the crap I seen the last few games this year.

I have no idea how the Dolphins can do it, but the scrambling for a first down on third and long has to be stopped. Everyone knows it’s going to happen and it still does.

stop that once or twice a game and things are totally different.

Why does he need a better answer for Josh Allen,
He wasn’t the defensive coordinator in Baltimore.

Just finished reading an article about the hiring of Weaver as the new DC.

It mentioned that Weaver needs a better answer against Josh Allen and Buffalo, which is something we've discussed here.

Allen is 11-1 against the Dolphins with 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Even though four of the last five games have been separated by one score, the Bills have given Miami problems. The division goes through Buffalo for now.

As a comparison, Allen is 6-5 versus New England with 18 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

The question becomes what can Weaver and Miami do differently against Allen and Buffalo?

Stop playing them with half the starters mending.

Just finished reading an article about the hiring of Weaver as the new DC.

It mentioned that Weaver needs a better answer against Josh Allen and Buffalo, which is something we've discussed here.

Allen is 11-1 against the Dolphins with 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Even though four of the last five games have been separated by one score, the Bills have given Miami problems. The division goes through Buffalo for now.

As a comparison, Allen is 6-5 versus New England with 18 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

The question becomes what can Weaver and Miami do differently against Allen and Buffalo?
Tonya Harding is a free agent.

No one hits in the back seven. That's a problem. It has to change. Until we can beat Buffalo or even split with them, we're going no where.
I agree with this, although Long and Elliott were good in that regard. Most of the back seven was not.

The number of missed tackles for Miami down the stretch was really hard to watch. I know injuries were a factor, but that play in Baltimore stands out and maybe epitomizes why the Dolphins didn't go farther.

The Dolphins score on their first possession, get the Ravens in a 3rd and 16, and Jackson runs for the first down with Miami defenders missing three tackles on the play.

Last edited:
Yes, I think they are much better with Joe Brady as well. Makes it even more challenging.

Why do you think New England has had so much success against Allen and Buffalo?

Basically you can say all you want about Belichick, but he is a very good Defensive mind, he knows where to strike on most teams, and knows how to slow down the Allen lead Offense.

The reason he could not seem to beat the Tua lead Dolphins is too many weapons, and the taking a weapon away from the Dolphins still does not work.

Bills are in Miami's head, they need just to play their game, play smart, don't give them any extra yardage with penalties, and hope not to be missing starting O-Linemen, a starting receiver, a starting RB, 3 starting pass-rushers, a star starting Safety, a star starting Corner when they played.

Last edited:
If Josh Allen keeps taking beatings like he does running the ball the problem will fix itself.
He needs to change his approach or he's going to hit a wall like Cam Newton did.
Dorsey tried to protect Allen by making him pass more and Brady took the leash off him while also running the ball more.

Basically you can say all you want about Belichick, but he is a very good Defensive mind, he knows where to strike on most teams, and knows hiw to slow down the Allen lead Offense.

The reason he coukd not seem to beat the Tua lead Dolphins is too many weapons, and the taking a weapon away from the Dolphins still does not work.

Bills are in Miami's head, they need just to play their game, play smart, don't give them any extra yardage with penalties, and hope not to be missing starting O-Linemen, a starting receiver, a starting RB, 3 starting pass-rushers, a star starting Safety, a star starting Corner when they played.
Agree. New England tends to make Allen beat them from the pocket. At least that's what I recall in watching a few of these matches. Maybe there's more to it than that? Something I'm missing?

I guess it's encouraging that four of the last five games against Buffalo were one possession differences. McDaniel has done better than Flores.

Just need to find ways to win these close games.

If Josh Allen keeps taking beatings like he does running the ball the problem will fix itself.
He needs to change his approach or he's going to hit a wall like Cam Newton did.
Dorsey tried to protect Allen by making him pass more and Brady took the leash off him while also running the ball more.
Yes....this was noticeable during the season.

Brady let Josh run basically whenever he wanted to, where Dorsey wouldn't. It also seemed to work because they went on a strong run to finish the season under Brady.

The opposite of what Fangio did against Allen and Jackson.

Back
Top Bottom