Miami Herald: Dolphins have their eyes on Zack Martin | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Herald: Dolphins have their eyes on Zack Martin

They won't take him as a RT. At least not long term. Depending on what they do they could play him there for a year. But long term they have to be thinking guard. Like you mentioned.. 308 and short arms.. he's gonna struggle to anchor. Even tho he does a great job keeping his hands inside, and his hands are very strong.

I don't buy this at all. He's 6-4.5, 308 lbs and his arms are all of one inch shorter than the 6-7 Taylor Lewan. Martin anchors very well, well enough to be a top OG candidate, and has some very good feet, quickness and reflexes. His value imo is more as a RT who can play LT if Albert goes down, and then as a guy who can play as an excellent OG depending on how the draft goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Miami likes him as an All Pro LG like you do, I can understand it at 19. I'm not there on him, and I won't be before the draft. That said, it makes a lot more sense to me than hoping he can play RT. He is very slick moving to the 2nd level.

What's your grade on him? What don't you like with a projection at guard, besides lack of snaps there?

Miami likes everybody apparently tell the press

The dolphins have their eyes on Martin? So do another 8 teams that are drafting ahead of us. He'll be gone imo.

Martin will be okay at RT and outstanding at OG.

I really like Martin's versatility. I think he can play both guard and RT, but I'm curious to hear how others think he stacks up against Su'a-Filo purely as a guard. I don't think that Martin spends his whole career at RT. Even if he starts out at T, I think he eventually kicks inside, so I think when looking at him it's best to measure him against the next best guard prospect which is Su'a-Filo hands down. Thoughts on the comparing the two?

I really like Martin's versatility. I think he can play both guard and RT, but I'm curious to hear how others think he stacks up against Su'a-Filo purely as a guard. I don't think that Martin spends his whole career at RT. Even if he starts out at T, I think he eventually kicks inside, so I think when looking at him it's best to measure him against the next best guard prospect which is Su'a-Filo hands down. Thoughts on the comparing the two?
I read where Zack Martin has top position flexibility and while a good tackle, he would make a top Guard and that will likely be where he ends up playing in the NFL. Su'a-Filo is also best suited to a Guard role. Frankly I'm happy with either. Both sound like they are beyond reproach, excellent character guys in the locker room and have good work ethics. It sounds like Martin is a little more powerful than XSF and has better knee bend, but Xavier has top class lateral movement and is a more naturally athletic. The mock drafts now seem to consistently rate Zack a little higher than XSF, but I wouldn't trade up to get him. It sounds like there is decent depth of good O-line prospects but many teams have needs and so they could go faster than expected.

I was going to preface the article with a comment about how obvious the title was, knowing that at least one poster would have to comment on it, couldn't resist themselves. Sure enough...

Hey, thank you very much for taking the time to post the article. We all really appreciate it.

It's not all about speed and quickness in pass pro. If you can't anchor or have to overcompensate to anchor, you're in trouble. 308 isn't impossible, but it's not ideal. Fluker did a very good job at RT, and people questioned his quickness. Meanwhile, the much more athletic Eric Fisher had very real struggles. Fisher weighed in at 306, and Fluker weighed in at 339. Joeckel also struggled (306). Even Lane Johnson (303) struggled early, but he's a guy with elite athleticism. Almost all of the top RT's in the NFL are 320+.

Look at Martins base versus Eric Fisher, who's 6-7 306. Martin has kind of a squarish build to him, but also the quick feet, hands and reflexes that you want in an OT. I don't see his size at 6-4.5 308 lbs as an issue at all- powerful enough to play OG, quick and athletic enough imo to play LT. My concern is who is a better value at #19, all things considered- Martin or Brandin Cooks? I don' know, but given how bad the OL was last year I'm leaning towards Martin.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Hey, thank you very much for taking the time to post the article. We all really appreciate it.

No problem.

I am really starting to doubt Martin makes it to 19....That is why I go with Brandin Cooks and fix the O-line in rounds 2 & 3.

Back
Top Bottom