MiamiDolfan85's Early 2013 Miami Mock Draft(7 rounds) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MiamiDolfan85's Early 2013 Miami Mock Draft(7 rounds)

MiamiDolphin85's orginal list has some interesting players on it.

I like A.J. Klein a lot. I like Da'Rick Rogers a lot as a receiver talent although I'm wary of the reputation he has for being a guy with a poor attitude. Something to keep an eye on.

I'd love to take a look at Klein's teammate Jake Knott. I think he could be the better overall talent because he's a better coverage linebacker. They're both very smart players, both would be excellent value linebackers.

I'm a fan of Shamarko Thomas as a value play at safety. He's a guy that TedSlimmJr brought up in another thread. Shamarko caught my attention a few years ago in a big game he had against USF and I've had my eye on him since. A nice value at safety could also be Vaughn Telemaque. He's got good size and physicality, speed for a safety...and he's always been way smarter than Ray Ray Armstrong who definitely has more 'wow' factor but whom I could also imagine fizzling.

I would like to see Miami go for more than value at receiver and defensive end, but also have the option of going high on an inside linebacker if the right one (Shayne Skov, Manti Te'o) drops to the right price.

At receiver I think until Marquess Wilson gets the kind of acclaim he deserves, I would have my eye on him if I'm Miami. Keenan Allen and Robert Woods keep getting more acclaim for now and so Miami might have a shot at the guy I feel may be the best WR in the Draft. If you have to get off him then I see Aaron Mellette as a guy that the Dolphins should be interested in. I wrote him up in Slimm's thread on seniors. Like I said, Da'Rick Rogers is a sensational talent, but I'm wary of his past and the rumors of continuing poor attitude. I'm not against Robert Woods or Keenan Allen, I just think their price at the moment is more than they're worth...but we'll see come Draft day. A mid round option could be Ryan Tannehill's favorite target, Ryan Swope. However, I'm a little reluctant to give a developing quarterback his favorite college target, tempting him to force the ball to Swope (as he did at times in college) even though Swope may not be any better than mediocre at the NFL level. Really, the guy to keep an eye on with one of the 3rd round picks would be Denard Robinson. He is a terrific playmaker with great athletic skills and focus. He may not be destined to play quarterback at the next level but if you can get him accept and transition to wide receiver early, you may really have something.

At defensive end I wrote up my top 10...or rather the 10 most popular guys at the moment and where I would rate them relative to one another. I think Bjoern Werner is an absolutely superb draft talent. I wouldn't hesitate to take him and know that I've got that position opposite Wake taken care of permanently on a three-down basis. It would allow me to move Olivier Vernon inside to pass rush against guards on passing downs, and rotate with Wake and Werner on 1st/2nd downs to keep everyone fresh. It's all a win-win, to me. Right now Werner is not getting the acclaim he should. He should be a LOCK for the 1st round but he's not commonly recognized as such, yet. That to me puts him in play for Miami. I'm not too worried yet that Miami will end up picking too low for him.

Aside from Werner you have James Gayle and I think he's special. He could be a special OLB in the 3-4 and if you have the right talent to play that, then why not play it? He could also be a special DE in a 4-3 though, I wouldn't hesitate to take him either. He's not getting the acclaim he should at the moment, either. If that persists, that could be a great value play in the 2nd round. Depending on what they run, you could also find some value at this position in Alex Okafor or William Gholston in the 2nd round. Okafor has a really impressive all-around game and I don't see why some like his teammate Jeffcoat better. I don't see it at all. I see Okafor getting the outside shoulder, making plays, tracking the ball, showing strength...he's a good player. Gholston is a huge, physically gifted beast. He's much more physical and just...angry...than his cousin was.

I mean, let's say you get a shot at DE Bjoern Werner in the 1st round, WR Marquess Wilson in the 2nd, and in the 3rd round (where Miami has two picks) you start looking to mop up some talent like LB Jake Knott and WR Denard Robinson...then in the 4th round you can pick up a SS Shamarko Thomas...heck of a Draft if you ask me.

Two things:

I love Eric Reid. Now, assuming where we draft I don't like drafting a Safety that high (unless his name is the great Eric Berry). If we're in the same range as we were this past season then Reid is a bit of a reach IMO. Middle of the draft I say go for it.

I like Da'Rick Rodgers a lot. I like him enough to believe that he finds his way into the first round of the draft.
I, personally, dont think Reid will make it out of the first 8 picks....I truely believe he's better than La'ron Landry coming out, and he was taken 5th overall(I think, or 6th I dont remember).

I really like Bjoern a lot too. He has Jared Allens motor, and that natural, brute, german kickboxing-heavywight fighter strength. I think he could be a really good player, but I dont know if he'd warrant a top 10 selection. I think I'd take Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery(who would have been a top 20 pick had he come out in 2012) over him, especially since I think these two will be future Pro Bowlers whether thats as a 4-3 DE or OLB in a 3-4.

Marquess Wilson....listen. I think this guy does has "it". But it's something about receivers that big, drafted this early that fringes me between him being the next Larry Fitzgerald, or Mike Williams...Could be a boom or bust type player but I do believe he is a player.

I'll check out Shamarko, because of that. I really was focused on Reid ever since that Alabama game last year. I just watched him, and zeroed every other safety out. I was literally like, "this guy is special". And I like Gholston too. i think he and Devin Taylor are gonna be the Carlos Dunlap's of the draft. Long, athletic linemen, with an array of swim moves, that will ultimately become mid-round picks but starters within their first 2 seasons in the league. Also, Swope looks to be a slight smaller, slower, Jordan Shipley. However, he is reliable, but I'm concerned we may have already got that type of player in Bess. But we'll see what kinda of numbers Swope puts up this eyar and at the combine. Everyone knows he can catch, and isn't afraid to cross the middle. The key is having a solid senior season, and posting no slower than a 4.5 at the combine that will determine where he falls imo.

Also, Im gonna check out James Gayle and Knott. Who else are you looking at in the mid rounds...namely rounds 3-5

I really like Bjoern a lot too. He has Jared Allens motor, and that natural, brute, german kickboxing-heavywight fighter strength. I think he could be a really good player, but I dont know if he'd warrant a top 10 selection. I think I'd take Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery(who would have been a top 20 pick had he come out in 2012) over him, especially since I think these two will be future Pro Bowlers whether thats as a 4-3 DE or OLB in a 3-4.

Marquess Wilson....listen. I think this guy does has "it". But it's something about receivers that big, drafted this early that fringes me between him being the next Larry Fitzgerald, or Mike Williams...Could be a boom or bust type player but I do believe he is a player.

I'll check out Shamarko, because of that. I really was focused on Reid ever since that Alabama game last year. I just watched him, and zeroed every other safety out. I was literally like, "this guy is special". And I like Gholston too. i think he and Devin Taylor are gonna be the Carlos Dunlap's of the draft. Long, athletic linemen, with an array of swim moves, that will ultimately become mid-round picks but starters within their first 2 seasons in the league. Also, Swope looks to be a slight smaller, slower, Jordan Shipley. However, he is reliable, but I'm concerned we may have already got that type of player in Bess. But we'll see what kinda of numbers Swope puts up this eyar and at the combine. Everyone knows he can catch, and isn't afraid to cross the middle. The key is having a solid senior season, and posting no slower than a 4.5 at the combine that will determine where he falls imo.

Also, Im gonna check out James Gayle and Knott. Who else are you looking at in the mid rounds...namely rounds 3-5

1. I think when all is said and done Bjoern Werner will be worth a top 10 pick. He's got a little bit of J.J. Watt in him, a little bit of Kyle Vanden Bosch. He's a terrific player and more well rounded than Barkevious Mingo who will probably have to play OLB at the next level. Sam Montgomery is nothing special at all, really.

2. Marquess Wilson isn't really a "big" player at 6'2" and 190 lbs. He's just a really talented receiver and now in Mike Leach's offense he's going to blow up even more. Dennis Erickson coaching Arizona State referred to Wilson as the best wide receiver in all college football a year ago.

3. Personally not a huge fan of Devin Taylor. But when all is said and done, William Gholston is such a physical specimen with such a nasty playing demeanor I do expect him to end up 1st round.

4. I think Swope might be a little more well rounded than Shipley and I don't see him as slower, but I also don't see him as a 1st or 2nd rounder.

5. One tailback that you'll really want to keep an eye on in the mid to late rounds is Arkansas RB Dennis Johnson who is absolutely terrific talent-wise but not a very mature or durable player. He could be perfect as a change of pace back and even though he's built a lot more heavy and stout he always reminds me with his quickness and short stride of Darren Sproles. He can be that dynamic on the field. For that matter if you're looking for a guy like that, can't go wrong with Onterio McCalebb either.

6. I mentioned Denard Robinson as a receiver prospect you're going to want to look at as early as the 3rd round. I think he could be special.

7. With the move the Dolphins are making to this style of defense, Kenny Tate is worth taking a look at as a Will backer. Lengthy, explosive, good in space, a former safety that moved down because he's physical enough for the position, and I think he's got upside as a blitzer.

8. There are rumors at the moment that Vaughn Telemaque might be demoted but I tend to doubt it. He's very solid at safety, built strong and big, can make big hits, and for years he's always just looked very solid mentally and usually in the right position. He's one of the safeties on my list for mid to late rounds.

1. I think when all is said and done Bjoern Werner will be worth a top 10 pick. He's got a little bit of J.J. Watt in him, a little bit of Kyle Vanden Bosch. He's a terrific player and more well rounded than Barkevious Mingo who will probably have to play OLB at the next level. Sam Montgomery is nothing special at all, really.

2. Marquess Wilson isn't really a "big" player at 6'2" and 190 lbs. He's just a really talented receiver and now in Mike Leach's offense he's going to blow up even more. Dennis Erickson coaching Arizona State referred to Wilson as the best wide receiver in all college football a year ago.

3. Personally not a huge fan of Devin Taylor. But when all is said and done, William Gholston is such a physical specimen with such a nasty playing demeanor I do expect him to end up 1st round.

4. I think Swope might be a little more well rounded than Shipley and I don't see him as slower, but I also don't see him as a 1st or 2nd rounder.

5. One tailback that you'll really want to keep an eye on in the mid to late rounds is Arkansas RB Dennis Johnson who is absolutely terrific talent-wise but not a very mature or durable player. He could be perfect as a change of pace back and even though he's built a lot more heavy and stout he always reminds me with his quickness and short stride of Darren Sproles. He can be that dynamic on the field. For that matter if you're looking for a guy like that, can't go wrong with Onterio McCalebb either.

6. I mentioned Denard Robinson as a receiver prospect you're going to want to look at as early as the 3rd round. I think he could be special.

7. With the move the Dolphins are making to this style of defense, Kenny Tate is worth taking a look at as a Will backer. Lengthy, explosive, good in space, a former safety that moved down because he's physical enough for the position, and I think he's got upside as a blitzer.

8. There are rumors at the moment that Vaughn Telemaque might be demoted but I tend to doubt it. He's very solid at safety, built strong and big, can make big hits, and for years he's always just looked very solid mentally and usually in the right position. He's one of the safeties on my list for mid to late rounds.

I like Buchanan of Illinois. I think he'd be a solid rotation player, who can get you 5-6 sacks a season early on. I think he could sneek into the mid-second round. Also, I checked out James Gayle. I'm blown away at how well he moves at that size. At 6'6", thats rare. He has a "quick twitch" first step. What I like the most is he runs to the ball. I watched a highlight where he over-pursed badly against Virginia, and the quarterback steped up and made a clean pass out to the flat. Most of anyother linemen would have turned and watched him go. Gayle is an intruging prospect, and I look forward tot he season he's going to have. I will be watching.

I also really like Oregons Dion Jordan. He is just a freak athlete. Check out this explosion at 1:26

[video=youtube;aNh0SgWe3rc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNh0SgWe3rc[/video]

Only 230, so we would need to put 15-20 lbs. on him. But his risk/reward ratio is without question. Strictly a rotational pass rusher when he enters the league. But running something like the Giants D-Line, just switching out pass rushers every 3 downs or so. This could be an 8 sack guy. Possibly more, down the road.

From rounds 3-5, Im feeling the following. Kenny Stills, Roy Roundtree(mancrush), Josh Boyce.

All have that wirey, slippery game to them. They seem to be very elusive, and make plays after the catch. Stills reminds me of Chad Johnson. Big, but not big. Like he plays big? But he is so lethal on the crossing patterns and inside slants. Its almost unfair. Boyce to me makes me think James Jones. In that theres not one thing he does great, but he does do many things good. TCU has done a great job crafting its receivers route running skills. I think Boyce is no different. And finally Roundtree....I mean, I dunno how to explain it. He just has that weird, agile to him. I remember seeing him running a come back, and the pass was horribly behind him to the sideline, and he just turns around and lays out and stretches for it. Away from the body, both feet in. Ever since that game, I was hooked. Very underrated.

Kenny Tate, fully agree. Think he'd thrive in this defense.

What do you think of VT's Kevin Fuller, Rutgers Logan Ryans, and Carrington Byndom of Texas.

Also, I too really like Telemaque. I dont understand all the bad rap some UM fans have against him. Now he was pretty hyped up when he came. And no, he hasnt quite lived up to expectations, but I do think he's a solid player. At worst, hes a decent back-up. But myself, I would be very much happy with him as our starting FS. I even think he could start day 1. Lots of starting experience. Lots of adversity he's overcome. He's seen it all, and done it all. I think he'd matured both as a player and person, and believe he can transition well to the league. I agree.

I like Buchanan of Illinois. I think he'd be a solid rotation player, who can get you 5-6 sacks a season early on. I think he could sneek into the mid-second round. Also, I checked out James Gayle. I'm blown away at how well he moves at that size. At 6'6", thats rare. He has a "quick twitch" first step. What I like the most is he runs to the ball. I watched a highlight where he over-pursed badly against Virginia, and the quarterback steped up and made a clean pass out to the flat. Most of anyother linemen would have turned and watched him go. Gayle is an intruging prospect, and I look forward tot he season he's going to have. I will be watching.

I also really like Oregons Dion Jordan. He is just a freak athlete. Check out this explosion at 1:26

[video=youtube;aNh0SgWe3rc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNh0SgWe3rc[/video]

Only 230, so we would need to put 15-20 lbs. on him. But his risk/reward ratio is without question. Strictly a rotational pass rusher when he enters the league. But running something like the Giants D-Line, just switching out pass rushers every 3 downs or so. This could be an 8 sack guy. Possibly more, down the road.

From rounds 3-5, Im feeling the following. Kenny Stills, Roy Roundtree(mancrush), Josh Boyce.

All have that wirey, slippery game to them. They seem to be very elusive, and make plays after the catch. Stills reminds me of Chad Johnson. Big, but not big. Like he plays big? But he is so lethal on the crossing patterns and inside slants. Its almost unfair. Boyce to me makes me think James Jones. In that theres not one thing he does great, but he does do many things good. TCU has done a great job crafting its receivers route running skills. I think Boyce is no different. And finally Roundtree....I mean, I dunno how to explain it. He just has that weird, agile to him. I remember seeing him running a come back, and the pass was horribly behind him to the sideline, and he just turns around and lays out and stretches for it. Away from the body, both feet in. Ever since that game, I was hooked. Very underrated.

Kenny Tate, fully agree. Think he'd thrive in this defense.

What do you think of VT's Kevin Fuller, Rutgers Logan Ryans, and Carrington Byndom of Texas.

Also, I too really like Telemaque. I dont understand all the bad rap some UM fans have against him. Now he was pretty hyped up when he came. And no, he hasnt quite lived up to expectations, but I do think he's a solid player. At worst, hes a decent back-up. But myself, I would be very much happy with him as our starting FS. I even think he could start day 1. Lots of starting experience. Lots of adversity he's overcome. He's seen it all, and done it all. I think he'd matured both as a player and person, and believe he can transition well to the league. I agree.

You bring up some really good names and points.

1. I don't know that we're gonna see eye to eye on Buchanon. I would MAYBE be interested in drafting him as a developmental player in the late rounds of the Draft, but other than that, I just can't like the guy. Soft player, in my eyes.

2. "Blown away" is the perfect term to describe my reaction when I dug into Virginia Tech games to watch James Gayle. He's my #2 pass rush prospect amongst all 2013 NFL Draft eligible players, behind only Bjoern Werner. I have them both ahead of more popular players like Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery.

3. I like that you brought up Dion Jordan, Kenny Stills (whom I also like), Josh Boyce and Roy Roundtree. All guys I need to do more work on, and I like doing work on guys that have been recommended to me.

4. Carrington Byndom is a terrific player. I didn't mention him because I consider him 1st round potential and you were asking about the mid rounds. Lengthy play maker, part of a secondary that was one of the best I saw this year outside of the big guns in the SEC with Alabama and LSU. I don't have an opinion yet on Logan Ryans or Kevin Fuller.

5. Good point about Telemaque's hype. One thing I appreciate about him is he doesn't play like an overhyped player. If you didn't know his background you'd swear he was one of those under the radar types that is just solid and finds himself starting over more hyped players because he 'gets it'. NFL scouts do like guys that were recruited highly, so we'll see where he goes.

Let me just say that Dion Jordan definitely has my attention. Thanks for the recommendation. Have some game tapes to acquire, now.

Are you not confident in the Lamar Miller/Daniel Thomas package or the signability of Reggie at the end of the year? I wouldn't look at RBs at all next year.

Are you not confident in the Lamar Miller/Daniel Thomas package or the signability of Reggie at the end of the year? I wouldn't look at RBs at all next year.

You have to look at every position until you know you've got pro bowlers at the position. Just bringing up an underrated guy in Dennis Johnson. He's also a good pass protector.

I don't have any faith in Daniel Thomas and I think this very well could be Reggie's last year here.

eric reids a nice player but top 10 pick is too rich...he's not the same level prospect as mark barron

just getting thread count up - sorry friends!

Back
Top Bottom