Miami's 2004 Defense_better_or_worse? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's 2004 Defense_better_or_worse?

Dolphins#1-fan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
What is your opinion on the
Miami Dolphins 2004 defense

In my opinion the defense is better because the dolphins let Brock Marion go. Brock Marion is a good player but his age was starting to catch up with him, plus Brock Marion is not good in some formations, for an example he will do good in a quarter defense but not in a nickel defense. This off-season the dolphins signed young guys who can come in and play these formations. Some of the collage players the dolphins picked in the draft will provided depth. All these guys will also help on special teams.​

still think we're top 5.

-Hate that we released T-Buck....he was no longer a starter but was as consistent a CB to come in or replace as anywhere in this league.

-Seau is not washed up...people who think that have something else coming.

-Zach is still good for double-digit tackles every weekend, mix in a few 20 tackle games.

-Ogun hurts if he's not out there, still have Taylor a ton of good support.

-Shut down starting corners are still top notch and probably anxious after questionable numbers last year.

-Safeties are playmakers...and big hitters.

Dolphins#1-fan said:
What is your opinion on the
Miami Dolphins 2004 defense

What's yours? You need to have more substance and content than this to start a thread, I mean are you asking me how I think they'll do this year, how they compare to past teams, stats, how far they'll take us....I want to know your thoughts and opinions so we can have an intelligent football conversation. I'm not trying to be a d#ck or anything but I need a little bit more to go on before I can answer your question in the right way. And BTW, does this thread really deserve 5 stars? :escape:

Better question is, why even start up this thread? How the hell can we even have an opinion right now? I know everybody is "jonesin`" for some football, but it`s JUNE... bring this thread up about October.

Goin` Deep said:
Better question is, why even start up this thread? How the hell can we even have an opinion right now? I know everybody is "jonesin`" for some football, but it`s JUNE... bring this thread up about October.

Don't get mad :shakeno: , it's the offseason.
Were all just trying to kill some time :)

You know, I really am really having a lot of difficulty understanding why, with the caliber of CBs we had lat year, we ranked in the lower half of passing defense. Granted there we numerous games where missed tackles were a major contributor to us not having the best defense, but there is something to be said for the fact that we were beaten so often during passing plays. Brock Marion messed up a lot, but it couldn't have just been him. Is Sammy Knight too slow? Is Sam Madison too old? I don't know. We picked up some new quality backups, but otherwise I would have to say the defense is the same. If the coaching is better this year, then yes, we will be better. If not, then no, we will not be. It is an impossible question to answer until September.

bobdroopy said:
Don't get mad :shakeno: , it's the offseason.
Were all just trying to kill some time :)
Not getting mad there bob, just think it`s a thread that`s a bit premature, that`s all.

It will still be a good defense. But I doubt it will be as good as 03. The players are ageing. Zach will hardly be the factor he was from 99-03. Junior is really starting to get up there in age. You commented on Brock Marion? That he was on the downfall of his career as he is getting up there in age. But who do we have to fill his void? Arturo Freeman? I'm not very comfortable with that.

And if that's not enough, we are likely going to lose our pro bowl DE, Ogun.

Our defense will still be one of the best in the league. But it will be a little worse than last season.

But that's ok, because our offense has been significantly upgraded. So that makes up for...what I think is... a minor downgrade on defense.

Goin` Deep said:

Calm down guy, He was looking for more of a prediction, rather than an opinion. I think I can speak for... well, all of us when I say we are really trying to get by these next two months. But we are out of things to talk about. Lets not lash out of fellow Fin fans! :D

I say, we all flood the smack talk boards and take all of our building tension out on the Bills,Pats and Jet fans! :lol:

Every year i think our defense is going to be better then the previous.Then i get let down by games like Texans , Eagles , etc.This defense should be in the top five this year. If the defense can just show up when we need it , we can go pretty far this year.O-gun plz sign soon !

I think a lot of you are right. It is too early to tell just how good the defense will be this year. What will be interesting is to see some of the guys we have drafted in the last two years (Eddie Moore, Tony Bua, Will Poole) make significant contributions and perhaps prepare to take the reigns so to speak. I am excited about the T.J. Bingham (sp?). He looks like he has the mind set to come in and really make an effort. Onthe other hand, it wont matter how good our defense is if we cant put up points. Remember when our defense was the best in the league and we still couldnt win enough games to really intimidate the rest of the league. So, it seems that questions about the offensive side of the ball make more sense at this juncture. I look forward to the offseason when we have more certainty on offense and know who our solid starters are. Sometimes I wonder if I really like the uncertainty that comes with parity in the NFL. I would like to see all of this player movement balance out and teams experience a little more stability in the future. What do you guys think?:cool:

Just a quick comment to follow up my post. Man!! I am glad we finally got rid of Jamar Fletcher. Every week I watched as he missed tackles and ran around the field as if he forgot where he was. I couldnt believe that Dave and the staff put him out there. I felt like I was taking crazy pills!!!! (movie quote/ what is it from?).

We will have the best secondary in the league IMO.

LBs? We have a solid linebacker corp that should be in the top 5 in the league especially if Moore steps up and makes some plays.

DLine-Chester are Bowens are good players. Having Ogun back would be nice, but any decent DE will do well opposite of JT. Need I say anything about JT? :)

Therefore
2004 Defense > 2003 IMO

ABrownLamp said:
You know, I really am really having a lot of difficulty understanding why, with the caliber of CBs we had lat year, we ranked in the lower half of passing defense. Granted there we numerous games where missed tackles were a major contributor to us not having the best defense, but there is something to be said for the fact that we were beaten so often during passing plays. Brock Marion messed up a lot, but it couldn't have just been him. Is Sammy Knight too slow? Is Sam Madison too old? I don't know. We picked up some new quality backups, but otherwise I would have to say the defense is the same. If the coaching is better this year, then yes, we will be better. If not, then no, we will not be. It is an impossible question to answer until September.

This doesn't make sense, first you say that the players made bad plays, you actually named some of the problems, ie. players not doing what they're suppose to. Then you say if the coaching is better, wtf..if the players do what they're suppose to do, then you want have a coaching issue...the coaches had nothing to do with missed tackles, CB's letting their man get behind them or Safties doing the same. Obviously they were in position, that's how you know who got beat, Then ya'll go back and say coaching..???? I don't get that, it's like a train, someone says it and it has to be true....Please it's not the coaching, it's the players..they've been in just about every game..and that's good coaching decision. The execution is what sinks, ie. OL letting the RB get hit in the back field, DT not showing up in games, Jay getting injured. BG fumbling everytime he gets hit. Penalties..all those things are practice and players get sloppy in games.

Back
Top Bottom